SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Not a bad idea. That’s a very tempting proposition, though at this stage I’m only in possession of one of the SAE cartridges and would be reluctant to change it unless I had a spare or it was worn out.

Didn’t you hot rod a Dynavector 10x5 with a fancy cantilever and tip recently?

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Don't know if you listened to the samples I posted a few months ago above, but there's a couple songs comparing the SAE 1000LT to the AT-OC9XML. The AT probably isn't quite as high end as you had in mind, but it is an interesting comparison nonetheless, and it does have a boron cantilever and MicroRidge stylus like most higher end carts.

The links are dead so I'll post them again below and leave them up for a day or two. One song was done with my Phasemation EA-200 phono preamp, the other with the Conrad-Johnson EF-1. The OC9XML went through a Lundahl SUT in both cases to keep it even.

The Phasemation EA-200 has a fixed gain of 38dB and 47k input impedance when set to MM, while the CJ EF-1 was set to 46dB @ 1.9k input impedance for the SAE track, and 40dB @ 47k for the OC9 with SUT.

Dropbox - Dead_Can_Dance_Lovegrove_SAE1000LT_EA-200.flac - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Dead_Can_Dance_Lovegrove_OC9XML_LL1933_EA-200.flac - Simplify your life

Dropbox - Carmen_Vilain_Gestures_SAE1000LT_EF1.flac - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Carmen_Vilain_Gestures_A_OC9XML_LL1933_EF1.flac - Simplify your life

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    ranch 22b, woodpigeon and Dr. J. like this.
  3. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Great rips, Davey! I moved on from the SAE 1000LT in part because I didn't care for its overly warm organic signature. But it's one hell of a seductive cart.

woodpigeon and Davey like this.
  4. woodpigeon

Those are both nice sounding rips. Maybe a little more fine (very fine!) detail on the cymbals with the OC9 and a slightly more rounded sound on the SAE.

Both dead quiet.

Perhaps it’s the upper vocal range/lower treble that’s the thing. On my office system, fiddling with Roon’s PEQ, I find myself dialling the 4–8kHz range back a notch or two and everything sounds much better, less hard and edgy. Maybe the SAE has a dip in the same region.

Davey likes this.
  5. needlestein

needlestein GrooveTickler

Sure did. I also sourced my own ruby cantilevers recently so I can attach nude top quality diamonds to ruby cantilevers that aren’t usually available elsewhere like all the stock standard Ogura Vital diamonds, PE 7.6/17.8µm, PA 3/30µm, PH 8/35µm, PF 7/30µm, PM 8/70µm, and custom sizes that I special order.

I just did this Grado Prestige Gold with a ruby cantilever and Ogura PH.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2023
    HiFi Guy, bjlefebvre, slybry2 and 3 others like this.
  6. woodpigeon

This is dangerous information. Basically we can send you money and have you assemble whatever amazing cartridges we can all dream up. Do you realise what you’ve done?

HiFi Guy, needlestein, Paul K and 4 others like this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

At this point, is there a clear consensus on whether the LT or E is the preferred model?

I've been enjoying the LT for several months, and have a couple of E's waiting in reserve, but haven't mounted them for listening yet.

8. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Are the SAE still for sale somewhere? I can’t find any. Just heard one on a friends set up and it’s incredibly good

33na3rd likes this.
  9. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

[​IMG]

It was one of those rare and fleeting moments in time. You may still find one available somewhere, probably no longer NOS, but I doubt it will be anywhere close to $99 :)

Maybe keep an eye on the classifieds here, I think a couple have been turned over, people here bought a bunch of them.

33na3rd, hammr7 and Oliver Meyer like this.
  10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I bought both versions of these SAE cartridges and have been happily using the LT version in my main system since receiving them. Today I finally mounted the 1000E on a U-Turn Orbit Plus I have in my den system. It replaced an Ortofon OM5e with OM30 stylus upgrade I’ve used for several years. This was originally purchased for an out of town budget system so I wasn’t too demanding in this case. Well, WOW! The SAE 1000E makes it sound like I have a whole new system.

I put on the Tone Poet reissue of Dexter Gordon’s One Flight Up, a sonically stunning recording, and was floored by how great it sounded. My phono stage is a Lounge LCR Gold, and the amp is a fully serviced Pioneer SX-850.

In addition to the treat of finally hearing the SAE 1000E, it was a pleasure to finally learn just how good the vintage Boston Acoustics A150 Series I floor standing speakers with restored foam I bought here in the classifieds last October could sound. That was $200 well spent!

11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Cool second system!

DigMyGroove likes this.
  12. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Those SAE cartridges are superb performers to compete much higher priced stuff.
    30 pages of holy reading.

13. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

Y’all make me regret cancelling my order every time this thread pops up.

14. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Me too! A very generous member here offered to buy one for me (the seller wasn’t shipping to Canada) but I didn’t follow through.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
  15. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I was more concerned about getting one of the rusted out ones as I was among the final orders, but in hindsight blowing $100 was a gamble I probably should have taken.

Soundslave likes this.
  16. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

A friend got four SAE 1000E and they are all perfect, tested working, then he use one on a 1200, sold one to me and kept the others awaiting.
    LT was sold out sooner than you could say cheese.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  17. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Im at 372 hours on my LT, wish i bought a 2nd one.

18. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I'm hoping that if anyone here gets their SAE 1000 retipped, that they'll report the results here.

19. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Where would you suggest? I want to put my 1000e into extended service and wear it out lol! But re-tip for less than $200 maybe? It's just a nude elliptical.

33na3rd likes this.
  20. Prighello

Prighello Forum Resident

I watched the ship sail, but I got lucky when an Aker sold me his spare LT a month later. Glad I got a second chance:)

33na3rd likes this.
  21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I don't know. I've never had a cartridge retipped before, that's why I'd like to hear from others if they have it done.

Boltman92124 likes this.
  22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I got a quote for an elliptical re-tip for a Denon 103 from VAS. Was about $190 I believe. Included aluminum cantilever. Might be more now. VAS is popular and lengthy wait times I guess. Reasonable price though and no idea if he does the SAE.
    Phono Cartridge Repair & Retipping Service | VAS Audio

33na3rd likes this.
  23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I know that Joseph/GrooveTickler bought a couple of the SAE 1000's, so I would imagine that he would be a good candidate for the job. I checked his eBay page, and it indicated that he's on vacation until the end of this month.

woodpigeon likes this.
  24. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I know it can vary based upon care and such but what is the general guideline on life for this stylus? Im just under 500 hours, so im curious if its going to go sooner than later and if i need to start looking at other options

action pact likes this.
  25. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

LT or E stylus?