SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

I suspect that the phono section of my Nikko receiver wasn't up to the task of handling the HOMC signal of the 1000LT because when I brought my Lounge phono pre into the mix, the excessive brightness was gone! Plus I didn't have to turn the volume knob of the receiver up so far to get the volume I wanted.

I hear what everyone is talking about now. 'Heck of a cartridge, especially for the price.

woodpigeon, jusbe and 33na3rd like this.
  2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I need another cartridge like I need a hole in the head but since my DL-110 expired a year ago, I think this SAE will fill in nicely. Great thread!

3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

My LT sounds fine with 36db gain (Lehmann Black Cube SE2), I hadn't noticed any volume issues.

woodpigeon and Ampexed like this.
  4. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Pulled the trigger on one, i probably only have a couple months left on my stylus in my AT540 (ill buy a new stylus) but this sae should be a fun time. Never had a MC and never really compared carts besides when upgrading my prior AT cart. Between the cart and a new headshell, should be $140 well spent.

33na3rd, Ampexed and ubiknik like this.
  5. narud

narud Forum Resident

got mine in and it had a dead right channel. aargh.

6. Ampexed

Ampexed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Its possible that the pins on the back of the cartridge might have a contamination film from the original packing material, and this might need to be cleaned off with alcohol or contact cleaner. Just throwing it out there as a possibility. I've seen out-gassing from old packing materials interfere with the contacts of NOS switches, so who knows.

John Landreth and ubiknik like this.
  7. narud

narud Forum Resident

thanks, ill give it a shot.

ubiknik likes this.
  8. narud

narud Forum Resident

....and unfortunately that didnt work.

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you have a multimeter, test with that. It will tell you very quickly if the cartridge is broken. Common issue with MCs are a broken coil or transmission line. Hopefully the seller can get you a refund or replacement.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  10. narud

narud Forum Resident

already did that. its open. opened a case and have a return label to send it back so i dont expect a refund to be an issue. this may be a sign from the cosmos that i have too many carts!

11. Ampexed

Looks like the seller needs to test these before sending them out.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It would save a lot of time. For whatever reason they aren't doing that. Maybe after issuing enough refunds and replacements they might think about getting a $15 multimeter to test with.

13. Ampexed

I think they've got the necessary meters, but they just have to start checking the carts.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

Especially as these aren't exactly in tamper proof packaging, from the looks of it. I got mine just in a little ziploc bag and some bubble wrap. It would literally take a few seconds to a do a multimeter check before sealing the baggie!

ubiknik likes this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

True, a DMM won't cause any harm since the resistance measurements are done with a very low value constant current source, but moving coil cartridges generally have permeable cores that the coils are wound on (unless they are of the air core type, which these aren't), so the DC current through the coils will tend to leave a residual magnetism on the core. Probably not much, and probably not a concern with a quick measurement, but that is one reason someone may be reluctant to check them :)

Ampexed likes this.
  16. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

Excellent, it's like rereading me from about ten years ago, I also grabbed one at that time.
    I used it on my LP12 with great results so at this price, even better.

Although 'today-me' would be a little more wary of that suspension, 'bargain-hunter me' would say meh!!

Another caveat, however: when I sent mine to ESCo for a retip, they informed me the cart disintegrated during the curing process. :sigh:
    They made good on the deal, though and sent me another cart instead that I was very happy with.
    DD

17. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom Lodger

NZPost offers exactly the service you want. Can't remember the name, though. Check their website.
    DD

woodpigeon likes this.
  18. Ampexed

To be fair, If I were in charge of selling cartridges which were still in their original manufacturer's (Coral) packaging and were undistrurbed for all these years, the last thing I'd think of is that some of them could have open coils. I would be more interested in checking that the stylus was not obviously damaged and things like that. I still can't imagine how coils could become open somehow just sitting in storage, but I would imagine they are checking that now.

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I read compliance is 14 @10Hz. This great for medium mass tonearms.

20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    ubiknik and Soundslave like this.
  21. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Over at AK no issues with a dried up suspension.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

It is reported the E version is less bright and a little more lush sounding vs the LT.

23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Most amplifiers MM inputs can have more than enough volume with 2.5mv input. I use a 3.5mv MM and have a lot of volume with my tube amp.

woodpigeon likes this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Folks, more than 10 SAE 1000LT are still available as of 11/7/2022 and will sell out shortly. This cartridge is reported to sound as good as $500 and higher priced cartridges per a few audio sites. $99 is a steal.

Jrr likes this.
  25. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

So did anyone figure out what the “Conical Line Tracker” means?