SAE MC Cartridges (NOS) On eBAY

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ampexed, Oct 28, 2022.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

This must be what you are referring to:
    I just dug this out so others don't have to search.
    Somehow I came across info that the diamond has very similar dimensions to the Ortofon Bronze, not sure anymore but it does sound nice.

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

740ML is a serious cartridge IMO and it has an edge on my fabulous sounding VM540ML The SAE 1000LT outperforming the 740ML makes this SAE the deal of the century at $99.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
    Rekkerds likes this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

To be fair I LIKE the LT a lot better so far -I haven't been comparing them side by side and I haven't heard the 740 in a bit.
    I think in the end because I haven't loaded the 740 to tame the HF, that what's going on is I'm hearing a better balanced overall sound.
    I've also factored in the fact that the LT is only on like it's 7th record so it's nowhere near being broken in yet.
    What I have noticed in the LT is a better soundstage all around and a more organic sound.
    They say it can take up to 50 hrs to get this cartridge singing properly so I'm kind of assuming it will in the end be a more pleasant listen compared to the 740.

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

My single 12AX7 phono preamp is about 35dB gain. I may have to built a single stage phono amp to support the low 2.4mv SAE output. So be it. I may gut the junk out of a used Bellari VP129 and use that. It may be less expensive vs DIY.

5. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Just try the 35, it may well work.
    I have the LT going into 36db and it sounds fine, maybe a hair low in volume but barely noticeable.

6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Oh, I will. With 4mv my volume is at about 2 o'clock. Wide open would likely have that over-driven sound, but not sure. If not, I am ok with wide open volume. I got to tell you my new to me Lenco L78 with the Ortofon AS-212 tonearm just floors me and sounds as good or better than my Garrard 401 with Jelco SH-750D. I foolishly sold the Garrard about 8 years ago. Did not know what I had. I am back.

ubiknik likes this.
  7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Here's a review of the LT (rebranded as an Adcom XC-LT) from the July 1980 issue of High Fidelity.

Note that the 1980 price - $240 - is equivilent to $865 today.

[​IMG]

8. slybry2

slybry2 Forum Resident

After playing about 5 albums with this cart, I purchased another one for a backup. At $100 each, 2 of them were the same cost as the replacement stylus for my Ortofon 530 that was on the table in my home office. The bonus is that I prefer the sound of this cart over the Ortofon.

Daddy Dom and Soundslave like this.
  9. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Consider my curiosity further piqued!

10. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

You have an OC9XSL, right? How does the 1000LT compare to that?

11. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I bought one SAE 1000LT. Then an hour later bought another for backup myself. $99 is just too good a deal.

slybry2 likes this.
  12. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Will the SAE cartridges "play nice" with a SME 3009 Improved S2 arm? The arm has an effective mass of 9.5g and the compliance of these carts is supposedly 14.

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Per the Cartridge Resonance Calculator it just makes it into the green zone at 11Hz. Better at 11Hz green zone vs low end of scale at 8Hz green zone.

14. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That's a good question, so far the LTs lush sound is very positive, I think if every category is tabulated the OC9 comes out slightly ahead, but the LT is nowhere near being broken in yet so I will see.

woodpigeon, action pact and hammr7 like this.
  15. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I just bought a second one.
    I couldn't resist any longer...

bjlefebvre and slybry2 like this.
  16. hammr7

hammr7 Forum Resident

And there is a substantial price difference to boot.

I have a number of carts that I play with, and a number of tables I use. I am preparing to archive (digitize) a large portion of my vinyl collection. Stuff I would listen to much more if it was shuffled on my media server. I expect to need as many as 3 or 4 cartridges to accomplish this.

My original preference was something like the old EMT-TSD15, neutral and beautifully detailed. The problem, of course, is that these cartridges have become far too expensive. I have evaluated a number of more recent, and less expensive, MC alternatives. But most of those are still in the $400 to $700+ price range. Still expensive enough that I was leery of purchasing multiples.

The current deal makes using the SAE cartridges a no-brainer. As noted already, I am very familiar with the cartridge, as it was my daily driver for years. The cost of 3 or 4 of the SAE carts is about 1/10th the price of a single new EMT cart based on the last price quote I got.

Ampexed and ubiknik like this.
  17. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Yeah, the OC9XSL goes for like $750.
    This LT1000 is a very capable and pleasing needledrop tool for sure.

18. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

inspiring thread, i just bought one of them too. i will use it as a spare and sell my current spare that is just sitting there. thanks!

slybry2 and ubiknik like this.
  19. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Listening now, this cartridge just seems to get better every spin.
    I think it's the precise channel separation that sets it apart from say the AT 740 ML, the SAE clearly demonstrates an overall clarity and coherence that shines just that much more due to the L and R being perfectly placed.

Or something like that, suffice it to say anyone dipping their toes into this cartridge deal will not be disappointed (as long as both channels work!...).

slybry2 likes this.
  20. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Stop it or buy a few to resend :confused::D:cool:

21. barondla

barondla Forum Resident

I just ordered 2. Good company for the Denon DL103. Appreciate @Ampexed pointing this out.
    Thanks,
    barondla

Ampexed likes this.
  22. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Rackafrackasaurus, I hope he ships to Canada soon!

ubiknik likes this.
  23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I need a new cartridge as much as I need a haircut with a chain saw. But for this price I grabbed one of each!

24. avanti1960

you using it with your GR table?

25. avanti1960

Is the LT model really a conical stylus? Maybe I should have bought the LE elliptical?