Sales of David Bowie studio albums in the United States?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mountain Cowboy, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain Cowboy

Mountain Cowboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will show RIAA and BPI album certifications for each Bowie studio album:

David Bowie / Space Oddity - BPI: Gold
    The Man Who Sold the World - BPI:Gold
    Hunky Dory - BPI: Platinum
    The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - BPI:2× Platinum, RIAA:Gold
    Aladdin Sane - BPI:Gold, RIAA:Gold
    Pin Ups - BPI:Gold
    Diamond Dogs - BPI:Gold, RIAA:Gold
    Young Americans - BPI:Gold, RIAA:Gold
    Station to Station - BPI:Gold, RIAA:Gold

Low - BPI:Gold
    "Heroes" - BPI:Gold
    Lodger - BPI:Gold
    Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) - BPI: Platinum
    Let's Dance - BPI: Platinum, RIAA: Platinum
    Tonight - BPI:Gold, RIAA: Platinum
    Never Let Me Down - BPI:Gold, RIAA:Gold
    Tin Machine - BPI:Gold
    Black Tie White Noise - BPI:Gold

Heathen - BPI:Gold
    Reality - BPI:Gold
    The Next Day - BPI:Gold
    ★ - BPI - Platinum, RIAA:Gold

What do you think about these album certifications/sales? Is it possible that Bowie albums from his classic period haven't achieved a pretty good commercial success in the USA?
    Even the Bowie's biggest classic "Ziggy Stardust" went only Gold till these days?

2. Mountain Cowboy

If you sum up all these RIAA certifications for studio albums it seems that Bowie sold only 5.5 million albums in the USA.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Bowie was right up there with the most influential musicians of the 1970s---in fact, he may have been the most important one---but he did NOT generate huge record sales. He only had 4 top 10 albums in the 1970s (and one of those was the ChangesBowie compilation, which peaked at #10). Many albums of his came nowhere close to the top 10. For example, the Ziggy album peaked at #75 in the USA!!

Also, any album that sold platinum could have sold anywhere from 1,000,000 to 1,999,999 copies. So there is a lot of "wiggle" room that would increase by at least twofold the 5.5 million that you estimated. I don't have an exact number, but I'm sure Bowie that sold much more than 5.5 million albums since the 1970s.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. Arnold Grove

Oh, after my post above, I realized that your math is way off. A Gold album is at least 500,000 copies sold. And you list 22 albums that sold Gold (or better). So 22 x 500,000 is 11,000,000. And as alluded to before, a Gold album could be from 500,000 to 999,999 albums. So that could mean the 11 million is doubled at the minimum, making 22 million. And then there are a few platinum albums on top of that. So his sales are much, much higher than the 5.5 million. Your calculator was not working properly... ;)

Bananas&blow and jon9091 like this.
  5. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

If you lived in Cleveland in the early 70's you would have thought Bowie was selling tons of records.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think most people in the US were just content with just buying ChangeOneBowie for the hits in the 70s and 80s, it went Platinum. The direct numbers hide this in the CD era, as Ryko's ChangesBowie replaced the vinyl issue and splits the RIAA awarding. ChangesBowie is also RIAA certified Platinum.

7. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Don't believe the poles! I would not trust any record sales figures at all. It seems to be an inexact science.

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There are various reports that David Bowie has sold between 140 and 150 million albums worldwide, with Let's Dance by far the biggest seller (7.5 - 10.5 million, depending on sources), followed by Ziggy and Aladdin Sane.

9. Arnold Grove

Do you have something against Polish people? ;)

Ethan B and e.s. like this.
  10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This has been written about many times - Robert Palmer's old BBC doc series on rock music talks about Ziggy's massive success in the UK while charting very low in the US at the time of its release. Like the Ramones or the VU's debut, it eventually went gold decades later largely thanks to their growing critical stature.

Also Jeff Rougvie alluded to this - looking at RCA's projections on what they expected to earn in future CD sales, he realized they had seriously undervalued Bowie's catalog. It's probably because the accountants at RCA didn't realize (and didn't factor in) how much Bowie's seminal 70s work had also grown in stature as well.

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

going my old thrift store digging days he was never a massive seller....id say 1 bowie for every 100 babs. if that. but then again maybe people held on to their alladin sanes and chucked their stoney ends

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Bowie's catalog sells every year. Day in, day out.

Not every title, but a good cross section of it.

The Discogs numbers bear it out:

David Bowie

180 versions of Hunky Dory
    247 versions of Ziggy
    165 versions of Diamond Dogs
    111 versions of David Live

That's where the $$$$ lie...there is no reason for labels to release and re-release that many albums in that many countries and formats unless they were moving on a regular basis.

And I'd be willing to bet that audits would find sales, err, underreported...

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Not only is it possible, it may even be desirable. But hey, at least his RIAA- trilogy (83-87) received precious metal ;)

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

How current are those certifications? At some point don’t back catalog albums only get re-certified on request?

Anyway, it does not surprise me that Bowie was not a big seller in the US. He wore a dress after all.

onlyconnect and e.s. like this.
  15. Mountain Cowboy

Nope. I wanted to separate album sales in the UK (BPI certifications) and sales in the USA(RIAA cerifications).
    According to RIAA, Bowie has 7 Gold and 2 Platinum studio albums in the USA.

16. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And interestingly enough, another 4 million in compilations and live album.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

His first big seller in the USA was Aladdin Sane.

How did Boston and Chicago fair in comparison?

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Worst. Bowie thread. Ever.

19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Let's Dance era is when Bowie got 'rich'. Before then, it was all about the art and the appearance of luxury and wealth.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hi. RIAA certifications are a terrible way to estimate record sales, for a number of reasons:

1. Certification is a voluntary process that is usually initiated by a record companies for publicity purposes. Many companies do not regularly apply for certification because they don't think the publicity is worth anything. Motown for example, never applied for certifications during its heyday. One reason may very well be that the RIAA audit reviews royalty statements, which companies don't like to disclose.

2. The standards for certification have changed over the years. It used to be $1 million in sales would qualify for a Gold album. Then it became 500,000 copies (in the 70's, I believe). Importantly, there was no "Platinum" certification until the mid-80's, so unless his record company reapplied for Platinum cerfication in the late 80's or after that, nothing from Bowie's prime period will be certified as platinum.

3. For many years, I believe that certifications were based on shipments rather than actual sales.

For most artists pre-80's, certifications tend to understate significantly actual record sales.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.