Sam Cooke news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

ABKCO Announces Sam Cooke SACD Remastered Series

Earlier this week, ABKCO Records announced that they plan to release 4 of Sam Cooke's classic albums as single inventory, Hybrid Layer SACDs in the U.S. and Canada. The Hybrid SACDs are playable on SACD, CD and SACD compatible DVD players.

The Sam Cooke Remastered Series follows in the steps of ABKCO's SACD Remastered Series by the Rolling Stones. As we've previously reported, the Stones Remastered Series has been very successful, moving over 2.6 Million SACD discs worldwide.
    With the success of the Stones SACD series, ABKCO officials had previously indicated that it was likely that they would release other titles from their catalog in the SACD format. This week's announcement confirms that is indeed the case.

According to a statement from ABKCO: "Nearly 40 years after he cut his last record, Sam Cooke continues to influence generation after generation. From gospel to new wave, from rockers to rappers, nearly every form of popular music today bears the unmistakable imprint of the legendary Sam Cooke. The infectious melodies, the smooth styling, and of course, that incredible voice. Now the legend that is Sam Cooke lives again, restored and remastered to the highest possible standards using DSD technology on dual layer hybrid SACDs."

Sam Cooke Remastered Series
    The Sam Cooke Remastered Series from ABKCO Records will include 3 Hybrid Stereo SACDs as well as a Hybrid Multichannel SACD release that will feature a 5.1 surround remix. All 4 of these discs are scheduled to be "available in stores" in the U.S. and Canada on June 17th. The SACDs are as follows:

Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD

Sam Cooke at the Copa

Hybrid Layer Stereo SACDs

Ain't That Good News

Keep Movin' On

Portrait of a Legend: 1951-1964

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thanks, Claus.

Of all companies to be "progressive" it's ABKCO.

mud-

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hopefully they won't be manufactured by Crest National.

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Thanks, Ron!:laugh:

mud-:D

5. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I was fortunate enough to go to the listening party for these titles. They actually had a room set up like the Copacabana with a 5.1 system set up. I don't have much experience with 5.1 sound, but the vocal did sound a bit different when they switched it from the old version to the 5.1. I think it just shifted in the mix, hence the difference.

The engineer played a few more tracks (I guess the rest are in 2.0) and compared them from old to SACD. I am not sure if he played the "new" remastered layer or the original layer (if these were all already available) and then switched. But, the SACD layer did have some hiss and such, so probably not much tinkering going on there.

The speaker at the event (not Allen Klein, even though he was there) did thank a bunch of people, including Bob Ludwig, and mentioned that some of them were at the party. I read in another thread Bob has been in NYC working on another project and I would have loved to have met him if he was actually there. The problem is that I don't know what he looks like!

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

Probably I will buy "Ain't That Good News"...

7. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Following are a couple of pictures I found while surfing.

8. Larry Naramore

Here's a couple of pictures I found while surfing

[​IMG]

9. Larry Naramore

10. Larry Naramore

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Which of the three is Bob?

12. Sckott