Sam Records: New Parisian Label specializing in jazz vinyl reissue.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam records, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Great to hear you are still with us Fred. I dont know Davis and will check him out.

Dan Steele and Sam records like this.
  2. Sam records

Sam records Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, but probably in 2019....with two new reissues from French Barclay and Decca labels....more news soon !!!! Best, Fred

cds23 and Stu02 like this.
  3. Sam records

Sam records Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I'm still with you....Davis is a really famous sax and flute player and a wonderful composer....he's not well enough recognized and that's a real shame.
    Let's try to change this !!! Best, Fred

Stu02 likes this.
  4. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Just ordered a copy. The sound samples promise a great set. Looking forward to it. Merci Fred.

Sam records likes this.
  5. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Would a Chet Baker sings be an option for you?

hishou likes this.
  6. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Has anyone received a copy of the Nathan Davis 3LP yet? Mine has arrived, but at my parent's, so I won't be able to give it a listen until saturday. Can't wait!

AtlTrav likes this.
  7. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

I have (my OBI style label is numbered 53/1500 - @fred, did you write in the numbers on all of the 1500 OBI's yourself :) ?) For those of you who are interested, here's a quick first impression.

The non-laminated tri-fold sleeve has a quality feel. There are some great pictures inside with an almost family album feel. Nicely styled record labels. My LP's are quiet and flat.

Audiowise, I can say that this is a very nice recording. Levels are low, you have to turn up the volume a bit, on my system anyways, but the tone is right in my view. The piano sounds like a piano with a rich palette, bass is full and the sax has impact. The recording is somewhat distant in nature but works wonderfully well as a whole if that makes sense to you.

Musically I would use the following keywords: interesting, creative, inventive, deep, melodic, invites many listens (which I still have to do :).

SoundDoctor and cds23 like this.
  8. cds23

Nice review! I received my copy 2 weeks ago (number 10/1500) and have posted a few pictures over at Jazz Beat.

SoundDoctor and JoelWat like this.
  9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

[​IMG]

While I already own a few of Davis' 70s Segué and Tomorrow International albums (like the album above which I'm spinning now), I would love to see them get an audiophile treatment. The 70s vinyl can be pretty noisy.

Dan Steele and Michel Jazz like this.
  10. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

I acquired the three Chet Bakers and the Miles Davis that were still available in the Sam Records catalogue. They are exquisite. The packaging is gorgeous and the sound is glorious. With one exception.

The last two tracks on Chet Baker and His Quintet with Bobby Jaspar have a bit of noise. In particular, Alone Together (one of my fav's in all of Chet's Paris sessions) is marred by some pops. After a particularly stressful day with the kids, my wife and I open a bottle of wine, put this particular track on and wash the stress away. So the noise is a little problematic.

I mentioned elsewhere that I'm relatively new to vinyl after inheriting several hundred jazz albums. (There are some gems, including a mystery I'm trying to solve on my copy of Jazz at Oberlin, but I digress). The first album we acquired on our own was a selection of the Paris sessions. I jumped at the chance to expand our collection and the Sam Records releases are superior in every way. I do notice similar noise in the Decca release.

Finally to my question - is anyone else hearing this noise? Is it something that is just part of the original, or should I return for another copy to see if it's unique to my pressing.

Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie.

JoelWat likes this.
  11. meadorbd

meadorbd Listener

I'll answer my own question - it looks like this was an equipment problem. After a good stylus cleaning with a magic eraser the noise is gone. The arrangement on Alone Together is pretty sparse. I guess the arrangements on the other tracks were covering up the problem.

So I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a copy of Mythe I found online. Can't wait to get it!

JoelWat likes this.
  12. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

13. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

These just arrived today - will hopefully get a listen over the weekend. So thats 16 LPs so far including the Monk box and excluding the Chet Baker EP. All of the other 14 I have are stellar and no reason to expect these two wont be. The photo in the Clark Terry LP is stunning by the way.

fuzzbo and Admerr like this.
  14. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Yes, I've been playing these for a few days now, highly recommended!

fuzzbo likes this.
  15. Count Orfloff

Count Orfloff Forum Resident

Just played the Clark Terry LP. It's a mindlowing reissue.

oldjollymon and AFA like this.
  16. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Is the Clark Terry LP a mono or stereo reissue?. Audios at Sam records web page are mono, but it is stated as a stereo recording!!!

17. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Just received a copy of Afternoon in Paris directly from SAM. This is now my 4th purchase from their lineup (also have the 3 Chet records) and probably my favorite one yet.

at this point, I just need to try and snatch up any remaining titles still available. These things are absolutely top notch quality.

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

fitzrik and fuzzbo like this.
  19. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Huge thumbs up for both the Clark Terry and Bobby Jaspar titles. Also, I continue to spin that live Nathan Davis title...how lucky we are that this even exists. More power to you Fred/Sam Records!

AtlTrav, fitzrik, Stu02 and 1 other person like this.
  20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Went ahead and just ordered Clark Terry, Bobby Jaspar, Nathan Davis box, and Barney Wilen 5tet. These reissues are tops. I played with my buddy a few days ago the John Lewis/Sacha Distel "Afternoon in Paris" LP and we were astonished by the quality of the mastering and the flawless pressing.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  21. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Totally agree. His entire catalog needs to be given the AAA reissue treatment.

Dan Steele likes this.
  22. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

The two Donald Byrd titles have been repressed and are now available direct from SAM and through Acoustic Sounds. I just placed an order for both.

Thanks for following through with the repress, Fred!

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  23. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Playing the most recent Clark Terry and Bobby Jaspar titles again tonight - wonderful pressings, amazing sonics and brilliant jazz. I love this label - please keep them coming Fred,

Stu02 and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  24. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

This beauty just arrived today, it sounds fantastic and is very nicely packaged. Thanks for doing another round. Ordered from Acoustic Sounds and my copy is 733/1000 so if anyone is still procrastinating I’d suggest pulling the trigger. It’s 2 1/2 LPs and worth every penny. Now I need to track down Peace Treaty

[​IMG]

25. cds23

I'm excited to see the previously unreleased Art Blakey & The Jazzmen in Paris 1965 with Nathan Davis being released by SAM Records in early June. I've read several stories about this formation, but didn't think they had actually been recorded at any point. l'INA must have hundreds if not thousands of tapes of yet to be released music from Americans performing in Paris, I just wish they weren't so reluctant when it comes to licensing. Nathan Davis, Jaki Byard and Freddie Hubbard. Wow.

I wish that Fred Thomas from Sam Records gets to release Barney Wilen's complete live sessions from the Club St. Germain with Kenny Dorham one day.