same ol' debate

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

As fun as they may be, does anyone else here get tired of the same old vinyl/LP/analog vs. CD/digital debate?

Just wondering...

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes, I do!!!

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yeah me too sometimes.

The debates can go on til' the end of time, but they're interesting nontheless. Guess that's one of the reasons I keep comin' back to this site.

I listen to all of it be it CD, vinyl, analogue or digital, for one reason: BECAUSE I LIKE IT!

4. Grant

And, I still read them and participate in them, but it seems that no matter how the subject comes about, or how many forum rules are created, whatever, it always comes back in some form.

You all have to realize that no one's mind is going to be changed on this. I'm not throwing out my CDs anytime soon, and the vinyl devotees are not going to get rid of their LPs anytime soon, so, why keep on?

At least everyone is being more civil about it this time!:)

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The analog vs digital debate drives me crazy!!! I have one of the best CD players... and a very good turntable... a very good start for testing the limitations of both! I have CDs... much better than their analog counterparts, and I have vinyls which smokes the CDs!

I'm not one of these "crazy guys", who play only analog software! Both have their advantages and disadvantages... so what!?!

Greetings from good old Germany
    Claus

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I just ignore all the vinyl rederick (CORRECTION:Rhetoric.) Thanks Steve!
    this stamper that stamper, this number that number,this pressing that pressing.. People are going crazy trying to find a stamper number,pressing, they never will and with the collector's mind frame can be a dangerous thing! Oh my GOD!! what am I missing. Not much! a little surface noise, groove noise, snap,crackle, pop here and there. I'll keep my CDs.

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Yeah me too - and that's ironic because I probably, inadvertently, started the most recent one.

As Grant said - I like them both, that's why I paricipate in those threads. I am interested if someone offers an opinion on the superior format of a particular TITLE - but ONLY if they have demonstrated that their opinion is not colored by an extreme distaste of any particular format. If you cannot name ANY CD that sounds better than it ever did on vinyl - or if you cannot name any vinyl disc that has never been properly represented on CD, than I think your preferences color your opininions.

BUT -
    I have more of an interest in vinyl COLLECTING than cd collecting. Sorry - but mini lp sleeves and other digital estorica do little for me. A mint condition Stand Up with the Stand Up's at a bargain price does getme excited just shy of a woody, though.

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

As apolitical as me is, my answer is Yes & No.

Yes, it's a real bummer when people take it personal and it goes quickly from a quality discussion to name calling.

But No, b/c there are constantly new members joining the Forum w/ new ideas that they could share so why not let ole' stuff resurface every now & then so we can get some new input on the subject.

Another view (guess the only one:) )
    Jeffrey

9. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Me too. Probably because I haven't a clue what it is. :confused:

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Steve,
    I stand corrected! Better word...left unsaid.

12. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

CD collectors can get quite obsessed too. Just think about all the different "pressings" of an MCA CD that share the same catalog numbers. And wait till Steve is 100 years old and see the new generations of Hoffmanites scouring used CD stores, searching on SH Forums for the wisdom of Dave, arguing the virtues of Master Hoffman's work of art under different labels - MCA, DCC, S&P. ... Still uninfected by digitits at his advanced age, a mellower Elder Humorem will post his latest hot stamper finds after the young Hoffmanites post the matrix numbers on their CDs. ...

Did I just violate the cease-fire? :eek: I'd better run for cover now! :(

13. mazort

mazort New Member

Music

To me the obvious importance is there are various formats that enable the miracle of listening to all the kinds of music one would like to in one's home or car at the push of a button (drop of a needle?).

I just think this is a fantastic thing in nearly any format.

I like analog formats with tubes, but I can also enjoy music very much played back on my Linn Classik, an all-in-one unit which has a built-in CD player and uses transistors. It's actually very, very good and I can get about 90% of the enjoyment vs any amount of money, time and trouble I care to throw at hi-fi, with the Classik and a pair of ProAc bookshelf speakers.

It's also not a lot of bother. If I had to be content with the Classik, I could. In fact, I can make a pretty good argument for it!

But it's only natural that enthusiasts are passionate about their interests and have their own points of view.

Listening to live music (another format?), acoustic instruments played by real musicians in real spaces, is something special, too. It can be very, very inspiring. It has value beyond being a benchmark for how your system should sound...

But it is still just a fantastic thing to be able to listen to one's favorite musicans and performances all of the time. At least I think so. Isn't that miracle the common thread to what interests us all?

It's a good thing to be part of a group of people who appreciate that, because not everybody does. I think that type of group is composed of special people and it is good they are passionate about it.

14. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

Some additional thoughts to add to the posts already contributed...

1. Some of these debates have been manufactured, and the original threads didn't start out as vinyl versus cd. We should at least try as a group to stop that part of the problem. It seems like some people want to fight about cd/vinyl and will bring it up at any opportunity. I like both. I prefer vinyl. That doesn't mean that CD is bad, or that I want to change anybody's opinions, or ask them to prove something, or that something is wrong with their audio system if their opinions differ from mine. If Tom Port thinks his system sounds better with all his electrical appliances unplugged, with him sitting naked next to his battery powered lantern, I say GOD BLESS and may you enjoy the music. :) Same with Grant. We should argue about the objective items, and respect the subjective positions.

2. As I stated in another thread, shouldn't we be taking these comments as coming from a personal, subjective perspective? Even if it's not directly stated, I always infer that a poster has added "cd sounds better (for me)" or "vinyl sounds better (for me)".

3. Should any of us be throwing stones? We all live in glass houses. Whether or not we are in the vinyl camp or cd camp, if there are such things, according to the mainstream world we ALL fall into the Obsessive Compulsive camp. The fact that we even think that music can sound different or better from this mastering engineer, or that format, played on XYZ component, puts us in a very, very small minority looking for the same thing -- to get the best sounding, for us, piece(s) of music that we enjoy.

The fact the CD camp takes the time and effort to search out the best sounding CD of their choice (i.e. the DCC 24KT Gold Hotel California -vs- the alumminum issue on Asylum -vs- the HDCD japanes remaster) is NO different than someone from the vinyl camp who wants to acquire the DCC 180 gram Hotel California vs the standard 120 gram US pressing vs the german import).

Twin brothers from different mothers.

Affectionately, your brother on this crazy journey to enjoy music.

TRH

BTW: Currently listening to Fourplay's Greatest Hits on CD

15. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

I'm in this because I love nusic and I like put together and improve my stereo. I do like vinyl, but I WILL get the different typs of music I like in whatever format it takes!!!!!! Ther is a lot of things you cannot get on CD and a lot you cannot get on LP!!! Wise up and just enjoy the music , don't argue about it!:cool:

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

wise!!!

17. Paul Chang

May I add that some titles sound better on vinyl and others on CDs or DADs ... This could happen even when the same titles on both the analog and digital media are issued/reissued by the same company at the same time. Where is Rodney King when we need him? :rolleyes:

18. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Yes, especially when people keep starting new threads on it.

19. Paul Chang

20. Grant

I posted the thread so we could discuss this constant debating/arguing over this thing. See, no one has to START these threads, the issue keeps coming back. WHY does it keep rearing it's ugly head? Why do some get so angry and hostile when someone does not agree with them?

Do any of you see where i'm going with this?:confused:

21. Paul Chang

Amen. Amen. Amen.

22. Tristan

Tristan Member

I'm with you on this! You like what you like, to each their own, I say. I can respect the differences and just agree to disagree, politely. Never engaged in the LP vs CD diatribe.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think if you only have one format, it's human nature to be suspicious that the other format may be providing those that listen to it with more pleasure than one is getting from their chosen format. They aren't getting any more pleasure, of course. But one subconsciously thinks they are. So to compensate, one vigourously supports and praises one's chosen format.

We simply cannot stand the thought of someone getting more out of life than we are.

One point I would like to make though. I think that there are more people these days who support only one format - and that format is digital. Most vinyl lovers also have CDs; but not the other way around. So I believe vinyl lovers can provide a more balanced view.

Regards,
    Metralla

24. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

No, I don't see where you are going with this except around and around. If you start a thread to discuss debating over a topic, what do you thing people are going to be debating or discussing in it? You are merely adding fuel to the fire by starting yet another thread.

I dunno Grant, maybe you can tell us why you get so angry and hostile when people prefer LP to CD?

25. Grant

Well, that was certainly NOT my intention, and i'm sorru YOU fell that way. I was hoping that we could get to the bottom of it so it wouldn't keep happening!
    Nope, you got THAT wrong! I don't get upset. You guys seem to think I don't even have LPs! I grew up with them! I am a very slow-to-anger person. I don't get angry, but it baffles me how angry and hostile you all become when someone doesn't agree that LP is "better". But, If I started a thread called "Why I love digital...Part 1" you guys would accuse me of trying to beat you over the head with it. Don't be hypocritical.

Vinyl lovers are soooo touchy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.