Sammy Davis Jr. new releases/general discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brady Love, Dec 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Brady Love

Brady Love Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I wanted to open up a general discussion thread for the albums and recordings of Sammy Davis Jr., and to post announcements about any forthcoming releases of his music!

His discography is criminally underrated and has been reissued very sparingly, making certain essential entries in his recording career close to impossible to find.

I’m very pleased to say, however, that I’ve been in discussions with Sepia Records, and without giving too much away— if everything goes according to plan—there is a forthcoming reissue from them of an absolutely essential and frustratingly difficult to find Decca album. I’m also very excited that I’ve been asked to provide the liner notes, which is something that I’ve longed to do for a Sammy release for years so to have that come true is just wonderful.

————————————————

If you’re not familiar with much of Sammy’s discography and have been interested in learning more about his music, here are some of the albums easily available on iTunes and streaming services that are some of his finest:

“Sammy Davis Jr. Sings, Laurindo Almeida Sings” (1966, Reprise)

The above album is considered the “magnum opus” of Sammy’s recording career and you would be hard pressed to disagree. If you’re completely new to Sammy as a singer, or you only know him for his singles and think he is a singer of no substance then you must start with the above album.

@Steve Hoffman did a superb mastering job on the first CD release of this album on the DCC Jazz label in the 1990s. It’s the best sounding version out there and includes a bonus track from the sessions not included on the original. If you can find it snatch it up quick!

“When The Feeling Hits You! (featuring Sam Butera & The Witnesses)” (1965, Reprise)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k7aK0xkgaetVvc-jnziMYdTjOzJ78QhWQ

“The Wham of Sam” (1961, Reprise)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kLZYJrGb8k-AC3Ozlwc3LpAc_icN-fehU

"The Sounds of '66 (Live with Buddy Rich)" (1966, Reprise)
    The Sounds Of '66

“A Treasury Of Golden Hits” (1963, Reprise)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kznyKSa5McnNIR4VeHUr9PvFfAdM9oYhY

“Sammy Awards” (1960, Decca)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mznQmh60olkGU7fu73RXD8Ka-Z4repU7w

“Belts the Best of Broadway” (1962, Reprise)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lumkGDeFrt5wPBxte_2sY5yklPqv-Rz6U

"It's All Over But The Swingin'" (1957, Decca)
    It's All Over But The Swingin'

“The Nat King Cole Songbook” (1965, Reprise)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nRCcZ48JJRIu0HA8rzia4yWHU9eoy_Akw

“That’s All! (Live at The Sands)” (1967, Reprise)
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nnb4ibyUa-vln9Ty9Sb8WLkEBv41N3p9c

And I know some folks prefer his Decca work, but other than the couple listed above there’s only a few available online—so here’s a playlist I put together of some of the Decca tracks that I think highlight the era pretty well:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKjAX9qZkcKfkq8Dv3l-y3K5kvLW5F1ko

Here’s a small selection of decent 1970s material, there’s others from this era that are worth listening to but very difficult to find online, unfortunately:
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKjAX9qZkcKcpuJOQEmiSNSILOzJaayBZ

And I would be remiss if I didn’t include anything about Sammy’s time as a singer in the 1980s. Although he stopped making records, Sammy was still drawing in major crowds in his live appearances and, once he quit booze and drugs, had a complete resurgence as a performer—recapturing the lightning in a bottle energy that made him shoot to stardom so intensley in the 1950s.
    Not only this, additionally his voice noticeably strengthened—and while some folks don’t particularly care for the timbre of his voice itself during this era, what cannot be denied by any means is that his vocal stamina, health, and range became better and stronger than he’d ever been. He himself mentioned that he felt he was singing better than he ever had in those final years. Here’s some live concert material highlighting this:
    https://youtu.be/mkuNSiBRchA
    https://youtu.be/RgjLuA4mopM
    https://youtu.be/V-KO3q-IKnQ

Curious what everyone’s favorite Sammy album is, and what period of his career do you enjoy the most?

2. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

“The Candyman” was my #1 listen in Spotify this year! What a classic it is!

Brady Love likes this.
  3. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

My MGM "Candyman" LP sounds nice...Sammy is fantastic.
    Been watching the "Mod Squad" recently - Sammy has been a guest star in two episodes.
    Pretty good show in general.

Brady Love likes this.
  4. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

SDJ's rendition of Mr Bojangles is supreme :)

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Don't know much about him apart from his celebrity status of yesteryear. Those links in your post look interesting though. The Laurindo Almeida album is nice, though I like to hear something a little more busy once in a while :)

I've had a few Sepia releases, and liked them.

Brady Love likes this.
  6. Brady Love

Assuming you're a fan of jazz I'd definitely recommend checking out "When The Feeling Hits You!" next--it's a primarily uptempo album, Sammy's phrasing is spot on and his energy terrific--but it's a completely different kind of energy than usual. As a whole the album, despite the many uptempo numbers, has a very casual feel...sort of a 'let's get together in the bar lounge at 1AM and see what happens' sort of a feeling if that makes any sense.

At any rate, talk about criminally underrated--NOBODY talks about this album and it's easily one of the shining gems of his entire discography, and easily in my top 5. Give it a listen and, hopefully if it's your thing, please let me know what you think of it! :)

Every Sepia release I've heard is excellent--and learning that Sepia is a one-man operation absolutely floored me given the top tier quality of their products. They released an excellent double reissue of two Decca Sammy albums back in 2015 ("Sammy Swings" and "The Sammy Awards"), the sound quality was exquisite and the CD packaging/artwork was terrific as well.
    The album that I proposed to Sepia that they have gratefully found the resources to work on is such an essential entry to Sammy's discography and has only ever had one entirely impossible to find CD issue, so Sammy fans...and jazz fans in general...will definitely want to keep an eye out when it comes!

7. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

8. Brady Love

Ah finally, I can share the good news!
    This April, Sepia Records will be reissuing Sammy Davis Jr.'s 1958 album "Mood to be Wooed". This album is much like his 1966 magnum opus, "Sammy Davis Jr. Sings, Laurindo Almeida Plays" where it is just Sammy on vocals and Mundell Lowe on electric guitar this time around. Additionally, the reissue is going to include 12 VERY hard to find tracks from Sammy's Decca Records output...one look at the bonus tracks should have any dedicated Sammy fan unable to wait for this to be released!

I had suggested this album as a potential Sammy release to Richard back in October and helped with the list of potential rare bonus tracks to include. Most exciting for me, I got to provide the liner notes for the reissue--it has been a dream of mine to write liner notes for a Sammy release someday so this project is even more special to me.

Sammy fans, dedicated or casual, will definitely want to grab this one--the album is terrific and showcases a more quiet and tender Sammy as he sings through 12 ballads, all of which he handles brilliantly.

[​IMG]

You can preorder the album at the link below:
    SAMMY DAVIS, JR. - MOOD TO BE WOOED AND BONUS TRACKS (SEPIA 1372)

"This is an album comprised entirely of tender ballads showing a different Davis for the record buying public. To make the project even more daring was the fact that the album's sole accompaniment would be provided by a single electric guitar, played by the seasoned jazz guitarist Mundell Lowe. Bonus tracks include a selection of some incredibly hard to find entries from Davis' singles output.

1. WHAT IS THERE TO SAY
    2. WHY SHOULDN'T I?
    3. LOVE ME
    4. BEWITCHED
    5. I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU
    6. FOR ALL WE KNOW
    7. DEEP IN A DREAM
    8. I GET ALONG WITHOUT YOU VERY WELL
    9. MAM'SELLE
    10. TRY A LITTLE TENDERNESS
    11. THIS LOVE OF MINE
    12. I'VE GOT A CRUSH ON YOU

BONUS TRACKS
    13. WHO NEEDS SPRING?
    14. WHY DO I WORRY?
    15. IT'S BIGGER THAN YOU AND ME
    16. AC-CENT-TCHU-ATE THE POSITIVE - Sammy Davis, Jr. & Gary Crosby
    17. BEAT ME DADDY EIGHT TO THE BAR - Sammy Davis, Jr. & Gary Crosby
    18. SPECIALLY FOR LITTLE GIRLS
    19. NEVER LIKE THIS
    20. MOMENT OF MADNESS
    21. MAD BALL
    22. COOL CREDO
    23. I'M COMIN' HOME
    24. HALLELUJAH I LOVER HER SO
    "​

9. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

We need more Sammy reissues, many of the Collectors Choice cds are prohibitively expensive

10. Danikk74

Danikk74 Forum Resident

great news!

11. Brady Love

Just this weekend I received my early copies of the CD, and as if there were any doubt--its a stunning release. The sound quality is terrific, the reissued album itself sounds excellent and the bonus tracks were especially exciting. None of these bonus tracks have ever seen release on CD, and most of them only exist as awful sounding vinyl transfers elsewhere. They are among some of the rarest Sammy titles out there. I am thrilled to say that the sound on all of them blew me away--hearing them for the first time in such pristine quality (especially a personal favorite, a doo-wop style number "I'm Comin' Home") was such a joy--and makes this an absolute must-have essential for the dedicated collector of Sammy's music.

This whole release is a long-time Sammy fans dream and I cannot recommend it enough. The CD gives this much deserving album a long overdue release that has finally made it accessible for fans of Sammy, and jazz fans in general, to enjoy. I know you all will love it too!

The release date is April 1, and preorders are open now both on the official Sepia website and on Amazon!

Tord, Danikk74 and guerilla1977 like this.
  12. Danikk74

Danikk74 Forum Resident

Just listening to it now, great release. Nice to see rare bonus tracks actually be something I dont have.

Brady Love likes this.
  13. Swordsandchains

Just ordered off Amazon as price dropped to 10.49, should be here monday. Looking forward to it as i dont have any prior edition

Brady Love likes this.
  14. cmndrums

cmndrums Forum Resident

My favorite Sammy is Sounds Of 66' with Buddy Rich. Ridiculously good live recording. I have the DCC CD, and a couple if Mono records. I wonder if the stereo vinyl version sounds as good as the Mono?

15. Brady Love

I’m so thrilled to hear you enjoyed the release! And yes the bonus tracks were something that were picked very carefully specifically for their rarity or their having not been previously reissued digitally (or in even remotely good quality).

I hate to be this kind of person but I was curious how you found the liner notes I provided? I’ve never written anything like that before and would really appreciate feedback. Of course don’t feel as if you must! Thank you again for supporting the release :)

16. Brady Love

Really hope you enjoy it, and thank you so much for supporting the release!

17. Swordsandchains

got it yesterday and listened right away, was great and love the bonus tracks. Hope we can get more Sammy!

Brady Love likes this.
  18. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Me too- ordered from Amazon Canada and waiting eagerly for delivery :)

Brady Love and Swordsandchains like this.
  19. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Ordered from the Sepia website, £7.99 and free postage in the UK, no-brainer! It took me a long time to find all those singles so I hope these sound better than the 78s!

Brady Love likes this.
  20. Brady Love

The singles sound as close to getting them from the master tapes as you can get from a 78/45–the quality genuinely stunned me. I knew they did excellent work but the clean up on those tracks had me absolutely floored. Hope you enjoy it :)

21. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Holy smokes!! New Sammy?!?

Count me in this Thursday!

Is this perhaps the start of a long fruitful relationship between Sepia and whoever owns Sammy's masters? I hope so!

Markab likes this.
  22. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Also, not to bother you, @Steve Hoffman , but do you have any noteworthy or funny stories from working on the wonderful Sammy titles for DCC Jazz?

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I signed a NDA so, no, sorry. Nothing funny happened, Sammy was sick at that point..

batdude98 likes this.
  24. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Oh yeah, shame, I hope he liked the discs.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

He was thrilled about them, yes. Seemed like magic to him, the compact disc workings..

Galley and batdude98 like this.