Samsung Blu-ray players reportedly have stopped working...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by quicksrt, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Just like every Samsung TV I ever had.

3. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Must be about to drop a new model...

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Samsung is just reminding us that hardware with proprietary firmware is not actually our hardware after we bought it.

Samsung is also reminding us that if we stick with physical media too long we're going to get punished. It's just a matter of when and how soon.

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

No, they stopped making players last year.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Et tu, Brutus ?o_O:shake:

DrZhivago likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

My Samsung isn't currently plugged in, I guess it will stay that way until they fix this one way or another.

8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Y2K, 20 years late.

9. quicksrt

I would keep if off of a wifi or any internet connection for sure.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    gregorya, Dave, Exotiki and 3 others like this.
  10. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Yep stay off the internet...I bought a stupid TV several yrs ago...salesrep asked me " u want a smart tv... my response NO i to want to watch TV I don't want the TV watching me"

11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Everything a smart TV can do, and external device can do better. That said, the only way you are going to get a TV with the best panel is to buy one with internet capabilities. Just don’t connect it to wifi.

KT88 and Audiowannabee like this.
  12. quicksrt

I read years ago about how a large flat panel TV connected to the internet could be used in reverse and become a giant camera watching the entire room and all activity. That was spooky. Not sure that it is true.

2trackmind likes this.
  13. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I was planning to connect my BD player to the internet some time this year. I'll buy a different model for that purpose. Like a Sony. Unless that's affected too.

EG.

14. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

I have 2 BD-59c players I bought years ago only for Blu rays and to play movie files. They don’t get connected to the internet at all, and likely have the original FW. I just tried them now, They work just fine

Gramps Tom, Dave and quicksrt like this.
  15. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

It is true...same thing w ur camera on ur computer...I'm a big conspiracy nut..some might call me crazy...but read 1984...it was required reading when I was in high school...now I believe it's on the banned book list.

They have satellites that are so good they can read a dime laying on the street from space

They have mind stuff that can insert n play messages into ur brain...I'm not making this up
    Check out a thing called digital angel...I knew a guy who was in prison n they used him for testing this **** about 15-20 yrs ago

Don't care if u believe me or not...its true

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Ok, educate me - why would I ever have any need to connect a disc player to the internet?

17. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

Thanks for posting this. Mine started the endless reboot/disc spin up Thursday night. I was pissed it died so young. Not I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed or less annoyed to learn this is a widespread thing.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. aphexacid

aphexacid It’s not Hip Hop, it’s Electro.

Because they usually have apps like Netflix that require the internet, and of course they tell you that improvement will be made in future firmaware versions and whatnot.

Lownotes, spindly and forthlin like this.
  19. House de Kris

House de Kris VVell-known member

Ummm, to watch Internet content. I use it for YouTube and Amazon Video, in addition to Pandora. Lots of people use it for Netflix as well.

vegafleet and MikeM. like this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You don't absolutely need to connect the player to the internet. But many players have features that will encourage you to connect it to the internet to use those features. Features like being able to cast video from your phone to the player, play YouTube and other streaming content, and use other apps that can be installed.

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Any speaker can potentially be wired to become a microphone, and vice versa. But a panel wired to become a camera? I seriously doubt it. It would need a separate camera built in.

Kray, tin ears, PooreBoy and 5 others like this.
  22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

actually found a few colleagues have this issue...so no Blu-Ray watching for them.

Is there any word if a updated Firmware will fix or are all of these folks stuck with a toaster now?

23. quicksrt

Some companies call it a product that has reached "end of life" status. That's their way of saying we are not fixing this.

But with the BR players, maybe they are coming up with a firmware revision that magically fixes this, no biggie.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I have a 2015 Samsung smart tv from Costco that’s not very smart.

peskypesky and Dave like this.
  25. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Could this be a delayed "Y2K / Millennium Bug"?
    Or maybe Chinese or Russian hackers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.