Samsung Blu-ray players reportedly have stopped working...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by quicksrt, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. We interrupt this discussion for a bit of silliness.
    This really happened.

Battle For Home Appliance Market Share Becomes Actual Battle, With Execs Vandalizing Machines And Indictments Handed Down

Full article at link. Excerpt below:

Last fall, Samsung placed some of its washing machines in a German shopping mall as a teaser/advertisement for its appearance at an upcoming trade show. That's when things turned surprisingly unprofessional.

Samsung accused LG executives of breaking the doors of several of its washing machines at two Berlin shopping centers in what they claim was an attempt to gain a competitive advantage in the cutthroat appliance business, which market-research firm Euromonitor International says was worth about $400 billion globally last year.

qwerty likes this.
  2. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Wasted effort. All the LG reps had to do was wait a few days for the doors to simply fall off the machines.

audiomixer, ti-triodes and KatCassidy like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Since mid part of June there's a long complaint list on Samsung Community website and it's up to page 262

Solved: Blu-ray player power cycling whenever plugged in - Page 262 - Samsung Community - 1278935

I've spoken to a several folks who went online and contacted Samsung Support, then pursued via "Chat" method app to file a complaint about Blu-Ray players shutting down (cycling on- cycling off, Repeated the cycle, etc....)

So if you press Samsung Support online and take your complaint through "Chat app" it should escalate for them to send you by email a Return shipping label via UPS Ground to box up and get a Blu-Ray player off to East coast Samsung repair center, Fixed and sent back to you fixed.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    googlymoogly likes this.
  4. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I checked my Samsung BR player last week, and it was stuck in the same booting/rebooting/shutting down mode so many people have reported. I chatted with a Samsung rep last night, and they forwarded me a prepaid label so I could return the player to their NJ repair center at their cost. I shipped it off after work today - hopefully this will get it taken care of. The rep didn't even ask if the model was within its warranty time period, but when I described the issue, she went ahead and set up a repair ticket.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Just checked my Samsung Player... phew, no issues. Thank god. :)

longdist01 likes this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks really good to hear!!

Crazy what's been happening to all those Samsung Blu-Ray player owners the last few weeks...

Exotiki likes this.
  7. Exotiki

I also never connected it to WiFi. (Didn't see a point, it plays discs :p)

So who knows? Strange times indeed.

Audiowannabee and longdist01 like this.
  8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If your player ever stops playing newly pressed discs then it might be worth it to connect to get the latest firmware update, but other than that, I don’t connect mine to the internet either.

Exotiki likes this.
  9. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Huh? The problem isn't with Blu-ray disks or even the players. It is one manufacturer. So I am little confused by your statement. First off Laser disk players broke down all the time. Also
    Laser Disk was cursed by laser rot. Sure it can happen with CD and DVD but it is rare. And during the late 70's and early 80's laser rot almost destroyed the laser disk format. Can you watch the television show: House, Game of Thrones, Oz or Star Trek Voyager on Laserdisk? No. Can you watch Aviator on Laserdisk? No.
    Can you watch Star Wars Ep 2 or 3 on Laserdisk?
    Nope. Thousands of movies and television shows you will never see on Laserdisk. And the ones you can see are all stuck at 440i analog video. (16 mm school print quality). Whereas Blu-ray gets you a 1080p high definition video with up to 8 channels of uncompressed digital audio. Your Laserdisk got AC-3 at best. (5.1 Dolby Digital)

The average 35 mm movie print was between 700 - 800 lines of resolution. This has been proven . No one disputes this. Blu-ray gives better than 35 mm movie house print quality. 4 hours of 1080p quality on 1 50 GB disk. A 440i Laser Disk is 30 minutes per side. That is almost as bad as changing a movie reel. For a movie like Gone With The Wind that is 4 disks over 8 sides. Ahhhh no. I will keep my Blu-ray player.
    And with the new 4k format where you get to see the resolution of the 35 mm negative itself kind of makes it silly to still talk about lase disks. I can see Laser Disk for movies that aren't on Blu-ray yet but otherwise it is like saying how your Model T is more reliable and better than a Mitsubishi Lancer (1998).

longdist01 likes this.
  10. john morris

A lot depends on how the monitor is set up. Most people don't realize that the factory settings are to make it look good in the showroom. Most of the people I know don't bother with adjusting white, color, and black levels. Most people don't know that movies are supposed to be watched in the dark.

Of course the Sony Bravias are in a class by themselves. I have a 32 Bravia. Nice!

11. john morris

Not anymore. There use to be a real issue with firmware updates for Blu-ray players. I haven't done a single Blu-ray player update in 6 years and my player played every disk.

12. john morris

I found this out recently. 2/3 of movie and television profits is from hard disk media. That means: 4k, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray ray high definition and DVD. Streaming movies and TV shows only generates 1/3 profit.

I have loads of television shows that aren't streaming and never will.

13. john morris

Sony treats is customers great. You are looking at one small section of Sony history. The professional studios that payed $250 000 USD for their Sony PCM DASH 3348 / 3348 HR recorders got treated real nice. :laughup:

14. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

DTS 5.1 20-bit as well - albeit not on as many titles. The beauty with it was that so long as your player had a digital output, you were good to go, whereas with earlier AC-3 units you needed an external demodulator for the player's RF output.

john morris and audiomixer like this.
  15. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I have extensive experience with Sony "support" and must say that I cannot think of a consumer electronics company that is worse at it than they are.

Mind you, I don't own any Samsung products.

Jeff

Dennis Metz likes this.
  16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have a Tidal & Netflix apps on my Oppo 103 that need internet access.

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I thought it was obvious to all I was being sarcastic by citing such seriously outdated technology; just a bit of humor...take a deep breath, no need to get so worked up!!! :shrug:

*But I really do appreciate the simplicity of LD play.

18. john morris

No really. I thought you were serious. They are some really crazy Laser disk fanatics who believe that Laser Disk is superior to Blu-ray. The Lunatic Fringe you and I know they're out there.

DigMyGroove, Exotiki and audiomixer like this.
  19. john morris

Yea, but that is too stream off the web. My point was that just for watching disks you can just buy a player, shove your disks in and enjoy. Oh and clean the lens with a none abrasive lens cleaner at every 10 hours. Or was that every 10 hours for cleaning and de magnetizing professional multi-tracks tape machines? Sorry I'm sitting out here in the hot sun with a hot Nelson strawberry milk.

20. john morris

What is Tidal?

21. Exotiki

:D

I've been tempted by LD before but I've never taken the plunge...

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Music streaming service like Spotify.

23. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

In fairness there are some really good Laser Discs out there and in some cases they better DVDs. Wouldn't say that about Laserdisc verses Blu Ray though. Laserdisc isn't even the same ballpark of Blu Ray quality (in general of course there may be an exception out there somewhere.)

john morris and Exotiki like this.
  24. Exotiki

audiomixer and john morris like this.
  25. john morris

Learn something new every day. My understanding is the Dolby Digital and DTS are both Lossy compresion formats. DTS soundtracks are on DVDs. I don't see how a 6 channel PCM soundtrack could fit on a DVD. That is impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.