Samsung Blu-ray players reportedly have stopped working...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by quicksrt, Jun 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

IIRC Mono 44.1/16 is 5.292 MB per minute. For a 6 channel soundtrack on a 90 min movie were up to 2,875.68 MB or 2.88 GB. So while possible, it's definitely not ideal or practical.

2. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

I am confused. It is not linear PCM

"...On the consumer level, DTS is the oft-used shorthand for the DTS Coherent Acoustics (DCA) codec, transportable through S/PDIF and part of the LaserDisc, DVD, and Blu-ray specifications. This system is the consumer version of the DTS standard, using a similar codec without needing separate DTS CD-ROM media. Like standard CD players, DVD and Blu-ray Disc players cannot decode audio from DTS audio CDs.

DTS is related to the aptX audio coding format, and is based on the adaptive differential pulse-code modulation (ADPCM) audio data compression algorithm. In contrast, Dolby Digital (AC-3) is based on the modified discrete cosine transform (MDCT) compression algorithm. So this not real 20 bit PCM. I almost wet my pants.

Both music and movie DVDs allow delivery of DTS audio signal, but DTS was not part of the original DVD specification, so early DVD players do not recognize DTS audio tracks at all. The DVD specification was revised to allow optional inclusion of DTS audio tracks. The DVD title must carry one or more primary audio tracks in AC-3 or LPCM format (in Europe, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II is also an allowed primary track format). The DTS audio track, if present, can be selected by the user. Subsequent DVD players now decode DTS natively or pass it through to an external decoder. Nearly all standalone receivers and many integrated DVD player/receivers can decode DTS.

A small number of Laserdiscs carry DTS soundtracks. The NTSC Laserdisc format allows for either analog audio only or both analog and digital audio tracks. Laserdiscs encoded with DTS sound replace the LPCM digital audio track with the DTS soundtrack. This soundtrack is output via digital coaxial or optical audio outputs and requires an external decoder to process the bitstream....."

Make of this WHAT you will. Question. How does a modifes MDCT compare with normal PCM?

3. john morris

Scary. But according to my research it is not linear 20 PCM.

"..DTS is related to the aptX audio coding format, and is based on the adaptive differential pulse-code modulation (ADPCM) audio data compression algorithm. In contrast, Dolby Digital (AC-3) is based on the modified discrete cosine transform (MDCT) compression algorithm.

Both music and movie DVDs allow delivery of DTS audio signal, but DTS was not part of the original DVD specification, so early DVD players do not recognize DTS audio tracks at all. The DVD specification was revised to allow optional inclusion of DTS audio tracks. The DVD title must carry one or more primary audio tracks in AC-3 or LPCM (Long playing PCM. What pray tell is that?) format (in Europe, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II is also an allowed primary track format). The DTS audio track, if present, can be selected by the user. Subsequent DVD players now decode DTS natively or pass it through to an external decoder. Nearly all standalone receivers and many integrated DVD player/receivers can decode DTS...."

Exotiki likes this.
  4. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Wow, I can’t believe anyone would find LD superior to Blu-ray. Possibly some LDs mastered at the end of the format’s life could look good against DVD, but that’s as far as it goes. LD sound however could be really, really good.

Uglyversal and john morris like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too bad for me! I should have not trashed my defective Samsung BD player..: ( Oh well.

6. john morris

Some.. The original Ep 4 of SW comes to mind.
    I could tell you some stories. Claims like, "My 440i Laser Disk of Aliens looks better on my digital projector than the same movie on Blu-ray on a HD TV..."

I have met people who don't like Blu-ray and refuse to upgrade because they say "the colors were too intense" or some other nonsense.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

so i heard back from colleague who sent in Samsung Blu-Ray player with a pre-paid UPS label that was sent via email. They got it back after servicing within 6-8 days, returned via UPS working like before!

john morris and Michael like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nice!

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

10. john morris

Excellent article. Lucky for me I never hooked my Player up permanently to the web for updates. Who knows what beasties might be lurking. This isn't 2010 anymore. I haven't updated a Blu-ray player in 8 years and it plays all disks. Or am I missing out on some vital upgrade?

longdist01 likes this.
  11. john morris

Yes, I could see in some cases uncompressed 440i analog video beating 480p compressed digital video.

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Many Blu-ray and DVD players now are like smart TVs. They can run apps and do other things than just play discs.

I have my Blu-ray player connected to my home network. Which ends up giving it internet access unless I use a firewall to block it from the internet. Having it on my home network allows it to do things like be a DLNA endpoint and play files from my NAS, do Miracast, rip SACDs, and other useful things.

john morris likes this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Isn't that just DVD-A?

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member Thread Starter

DVD-A is a different formatted disc, it is not just the content on it that makes it DVD-A rather than DVD-V.

15. john morris

I am too old school. I use my Blu-ray
    player just for playing: Blu-rays, DVDs and PAL 576 line, 25 f/ps videos off of the USB flash drive. And it appears as if not hooking up my Samsung was a smart thing.

16. john morris

Can't beat that 250 lines of resolution. Good old NTSC 525. Actually, the old U.K. PAL system was a black and white 405 line system. Way worse than the old NTSC 525 system. Just look at those old William Hartnell Doctor Who stories. That must 200 lines of resolution.....Or is it less?
    The new PAL 625 line system didn't start until 1967.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    peskypesky likes this.
  17. john morris

I am sure the customers that paid $250 000 USD for their Sony DASH PCM 3348 recorders back in 1990 got great customer care. As for the rest of us......????

18. john morris

Wait! You throw disks at your Blu-ray player and it catches them somehow and plays them? :winkgrin:

Seriously, all disks? Even the ones with DVD Rot.
    I had one DVD that had laser rot. It wouldn't play in my Samsung but it would play in my DVD optical drive. I find that an optical drive that can burn dual layer DVDs at high speed can play anything. From there I copied all 5 episodes of Little House via VLC player (in real time) to the hard drive and then transfers them to a USB flash drive. My 7th season of Little House In the Prairie DVD set was a dud. The 3rd disk just cracked in two one day and first one had DVD Rot.

19. john morris

In my day we didn't have 4k, 1080p or 480. Or even 440i. If we got a clear black and white picture with no snow or ghost artifacts we were happy. If we wanted high definition we had to go out and spend money on a movie. We didn't have colour TV until 1979. I didn't have stereo TV until 1989.

rikki nadir likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2020 now.
    Guess you have a remote. :nyah:

21. john morris

Just reflecting on how far we have come.
    I hear more and more under 30 crowd saying, "I won't watch it unless it is in high definition!"
    Talk about spoiled! Ì I could understand if it was, "At least a 480 DVD unconverted to 1080P.."
    A DVD properly upconverted to 1080p or 2280p can look damn good. And yes I know it is just more pixels. So what? Still looks great.

Too many remotes! My point is too many young people don't realize or appreciate what they have. Watching Game Of Thrones on a 15 inch lap top screen instead of the 56 in 4k monitors that they have. Sad.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

It’s all about different aesthetics with young people, watching movies on a iPhone etc.

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Don't have any, but one of these days I'm going to play one of my bronzed PDO and get back to you with the results.

john morris likes this.
  24. john morris

I guess. A big screen was a big deal back in the day. I guess I am officially old.

25. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

What about because you can see the make up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.