San Diego record shop recommendations

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Bogart, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Bogart

Bogart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any body know of a good record shop in San Diego?

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

What are you looking for? New releases? Second hand? Jazz? Rock? 45s or 78s? Be a little more specific what you want from a good record store.

3. Stereo Unlimited on Sports Arena is a great place plus it has great hi-fi equipment.

racer59 likes this.
  4. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

troggy, Joshua Tree and neruda like this.
  5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

15 Best Spots To Buy Vinyl In San Diego

This might help although I don't know how current the information is.
    I live in Riverside County but used to work near Balboa Park.
    One day I basically just typed in record stores near me on Google and then just used Google maps to find them...found some good places.

Thrift Trader used to be the best one it would take hours just to browse they had a huge selection but alas they are no longer in business.
    Pacific Beach used to have record stores but on my last trip there they were gone. A store called Cow Records was there once if I am not mistaken but now according to my link it is in Ocean Beach...haven't been to the new location. I would check that one out if you have time.

My commute round trip was a 120 miles so I didn't really have time to go to record stores after work so I usually ended up buying my stuff in Temecula as far as indie shops go.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
    AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  6. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Lou's Records in Encinitas might be worth a visit if you're in the area. They downsized a while back so I don't know how big the selection is now, but a drive on the north county coast is always nice.

iggyd and brianvargo like this.
  7. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

Depends what part of San Diego you are in and what you are looking for. If you are in North County try Lou’s. Although it’s not as big as it used to be.

If you are in San Diego your best bet is Stereo Unlimited. Folk Art is also ok but you really need time to weed through all the lower quality stuff. Plus most of the really good stuff they have is now at Part Time Lover which is a lounge. You may wanna try checking that out. Vinyl Junkies in South Park is ok, it’s small. But it’s in a great part of town with lots of bars and restaurants.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  8. Jump Cut

Jump Cut Forum Resident

I remember years ago it used to be 2 of those work-shop type buildings with a huge inventory of used records & CDs. Now it's been cut down to one. The last time I was there the used inventory for common rock artists was pretty low. Not their fault as they probably have a hard time gaining inventory. Still a pretty cool place.

9. Bogart

Mainly after country music. Will be my daughter who will do the shopping for me. I have a shortlist of needs.

10. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I don't get down to San Diego as much since some friends moved but I always had a good time shopping at Record City on 6th Avenue. They had a good selection of new and used vinyl and CD's plus DVD's/Blu-Rays. Prices were very fair.

11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Then Folk Arts Rare Records should be your choice. Very good selection of pre 70s Country and Americana albums and 45s.

12. Bogart

Many thanks guys have given her a shopping list and details of the record shops you mention.

13. Bogart

Meant to say earlier thanks she came home with a few nice albums,

troggy likes this.
  14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I was just out in San Diego a couple of weeks ago. Lots of terrific record stores there. From the unreal selection of used at Folk Arts to digging through boxes of dollar 45s at Cow Records, I had a blast.