San Diego Recording Studio(s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Monasmee, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant Thread Starter

Anyone remember a 1975 recording studio in La Mesa California close to a Wienerschnitzel possibly near University Ave & 70th?

Just up the road (whatever that means) was The Cinnamon Cinder during its hey day.

Friend’s of mine flew out to La Mesa to record there many years ago & we’re trying to help reconstruct that journey.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    hi_watt likes this.
  2. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I don't know how long it's been around (I've been in the San Diego area since 1990), but Track Star Studios is on University Ave - just east of 70th.

Monasmee likes this.
  3. Monasmee

Thanks left a message....

Otherwise, the January 1975 sessions in question included an engineer name Fred who was quite the laid back fellow from what I hear.

The band called him "Relaxed Fred."

4. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Not sure if you're on Facebook, but there's a great page on there called Vintage San Diego that may have an answer. Just in case you're not, I can ask for you.

Monasmee likes this.
  5. Monasmee

Yes it would help if you could post my request thank you. Here's an update....

Anyone remember a recording studio (1975) in La Mesa close to a Wienerschnitzel possibly near University Ave & 70th? Just up the road was the Cinnamon Cinder nightclub which was quite popular. Friend’s of mine flew out to La Mesa January 1975 to record a session with an engineer who came to be known as "Relaxed Fred" due to his pleasant laid-back demeanor.

Great memories (or lack thereof) so any input greatly appreciated.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Cool! I just asked on the Facebook group. Stay tuned!

Monasmee likes this.
  7. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

A member on there said it could have been "Straita head Sound." That's how she spelled it.

Monasmee likes this.
  8. Monasmee

Wow does she know its location? Gonna guess you'll get lots of replies....

Mavis hold the phone it's still there! If that's the studio, that I have yet to confirm with my friends. Will keep you posted.

EDIT: Sorry no this looks like a dance club from the 1980s since closed but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    hi_watt likes this.
  9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

No prob! Hopefully more answers to come!

Monasmee likes this.
  10. Monasmee

Been monitoring the FB Group.

Straita Head Sound appears to have been a teenage nightclub, whereas the band flew out to a recording studio to make a professional demo tape which was “across the street” from a La Mesa Wienerschnitzel in 1975.

Just up the road was the Cinnamon Cinder where the band rehearsed using Seals & Croft’s music equipment considering the club was empty at the time while the band lodged upstairs.

Yet my focus remains on the unnamed La Mesa recording studio that we’re still trying to identify thanks!

hi_watt likes this.
  11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

You're welcome!

Monasmee likes this.
  12. Monasmee

I can respond to FB replies but don’t know how to join the group yet.

13. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

On the page itself it'll have the request I believe in the upper right hand corner. I can't check the format from work, but on my phone app that is how it is set up.

Monasmee likes this.
  14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Of course, considering I started in pro audio in San Diego in 1975, though I worked at Studio West which was the top studio in town at that time. Gary Stauffer owned it and at one time I think it was called Straight Ahead Sound.

I moved to San Diego in September 70 to start school at SDSC, which became SDSU in 1973. Though I didn't start my professional career until the day after I graduated, I surely was around and into the music scene before that.

I don't know of much of substance that came out of there, but I surely remember it and knew people who worked with him. I think it was a bowling alley before the studio was there.

Btw, Studio West is still in operation, and apparently doing quite well, but it did move to a new location after my time there.

somnar, Monasmee and hi_watt like this.
  15. Monasmee

Wow thanks! Let me check with my friends to confirm thank you!

16. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Now that I think about it, Gary also had a mobile unit that I remember using once for a 16 track live recording.

A good friend of mine, Ron Quilin, was involved with them as well. He may have designed their console. He designed the console we used for the Seals & Croft's live shows, and Earth Wind and Fire had one as well.

Monasmee likes this.
  17. Monasmee

Do you know the address of the La Mesa recording studio from 1975?

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Not exactly, but I think it was on El Cajon by 70th, not far from Ozzie's Music. I can probably find it out if I dig around

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  19. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

NEW DINNER THEATER HAS THAT OLD SPIRIT

Breemer conducted a visitor through the rambling building at 7578 El Cajon Blvd., pointing out the extensive refurbishing that is keeping him and a crew of 10 working almost around the clock. "Our objective is to have the classiest place in town."

20. Monasmee

Yes it would help tremendously if we can locate the original building.

I have since contacted Studio West in hopes of finding the original multi-tracks yet having the old address would be icing on the cake reconstructing the experience for our Scrapbook.

21. Monasmee

Sorry unsure what this is referencing?

Not familiar with San Diego area sorry.

22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yes, I posted it from that article, above. 7578 El Cajon Blvd, and that was on the north side of the street.

I believe the old address of Studio West was 5011 Ruffner Road. That's really stretching the old memory muscles. I'm not sure when they moved but I imagine it was the early 80s. I believe the last time I was there was in 1977. That goes back a ways.

23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

That article talked about Gary Stauffer and apparently he still owned the building. Apparently it became the Lyric Theater after it was a studio.

24. Monasmee

Sorry just a bit confused.

So the old Studio West and the old Straita Head Studios are not one and the same?

Which studio building was closer to Wienerschnitzel?

Unfortunately that’s my best reference other than some other landmarks.

25. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Not at all. Studio West was the top studio in San Diego in the 70s, along with Fanfare in El Cajon. Straita Head was most likely studio number 3 in pecking order back in those days. As I was leaving San Diego in 77 other studio were starting up, including Circle Sound.

I worked at Studio West. I never worked for Gary, though we used his mobile truck at times for live recordings. He had the only multi track truck in town that I knew of.

Studio West moved to a different facility around the early 80s, after I had moved to the LA area. They seem to still be doing very well.

Of course, we all knew of each other. San Diego was a pretty small town in those days, and especially in the audio world. Not much of major significance was recorded there, largely because there were so many major studios in LA, just two hours away. Ultimately, that's why I moved.

Much of that has changed since my days there, no doubt.

Monasmee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.