Sanditon - PBS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Jan 21, 2020.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Anyone watching this on PBS? (I gather it was shown in Britain last year)

It seems Jane Austen started a novel of this name but died before she was well into it, and Andrew Davies has seen fit to make a TV story from it.

Lots of great characters, and scenery, and I may say, some liberties. I’m not a big Austen fan (I’ve only read Pride and Prejudice) but some of the dialogue in this TV series seems more likely to have come from Fanny Hill than from an Austen character.

Pussycat and hugh . g. like this.
  2. John B Good

If I pointed out that Esther looked like the young Emma Peel, would anyone watch?

3. John B Good

Edging towards the fore-ordained conclusion - but delicious twists. Will Mr Stringer lose out, will the Old Lady give any money to the dreamer, will Esther Denham settle for her Lord Sacher-Masoch...

Pussycat likes this.
  4. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

my wife(Austenhead) loves but i find a bit boring. do think the young female lead is worth keeping an eye on though:cool:

5. John B Good

For Austen fetishists, I thought a line of dialogue in the last episode was out-of keeping with the manner of speaking of the time. Sidney says "this is on you" about some issue where he is clearly saying the blame is on her. Probably speaking to Charlotte, but I can't remember for sure.

Is that "It's on you" not one of the expressions of our time?

Karnak likes this.
  6. John B Good

Surprise! Charlotte doesn't get Sydney!! looks like she goes home to be a spinster and look after her aging parents :(

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Reopened by request.

MikaelaArsenault and John B Good like this.
  8. John B Good

Second season underway over here. A lot of characters seem to have disappeared?

9. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

I didn't watch the first season, so I don't know what I missed, but I'm enjoying the second.

There's a bit of a Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre) sort of twist with the Alexander Colbourne (Ben Lloyd-Hughes) character. Rich guy, mysterious wife's situation, governess... I know that's Brontë but it seems very familiar. I still like it though.

I just hope all this sexual tension is going to pay off...

10. John B Good

I don't think Colbourne has a mad wife in the attic. :)

Captain Carter’s mentor Fraser is another ‘borrowed’ character - he reminds me of the sad sappy character in Vanity Fair, Dobbin. He deserves better than Alison (who seems like Mr Bennet's silliest daughter).

As for Leonora - is this going to be the 21st C Jane Austen’s transgendering character?

Pussycat likes this.
  11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We watch it after Call The Midwife and this season reminds me of Little Women with all the young attractive female actors looking for love.

Pussycat likes this.
  12. John B Good

Well, the last episode of the second season. Some happy resolutions.

Have to say, I doubt that Austen would have featured a character as nasty as Edward.

The third season will appear in 2023

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

All in all a very good season.

John B Good and MerseyBeatle like this.
  14. John B Good

Interesting story line about Arthur and his preference for grouse. Never heard of this before, and I wonder if Jane Austen herself was familiar with the term.

I have taken a liking to Edward and hope his attachment to Colbourne's niece will end as happily as somewhat similar events in Pride and Prejudice.

15. John B Good

Well, that's it. An almost completely happy ending, though several characters will have to accept the rewards of nobility. Can't really think Lord Edward will become a kept clergyman, but Jane Austen was not here to leave it at that.

16. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I think my wife is a Jane Austen fan, I'll see if we can get it on our service.

I'd probably like it too. :)