Sandy Denny

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nomadicarchivist, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

You’re right, that’s definitely worth a shot at that price - just completed the order, thanks. They had a few other things that interested me as well (The Creation, Joanna Brouk), that were also reasonably priced.

2. BlueTrane,

I just popped this on right now. It’s certainly not at the level of a Chris Bellman/RTI reissue. In fact, the deadwax reads WG/NRP with a circled U. It’s cut by Wes Garland at Nashville Record Productions on United pressing. This is often a very uneven, inconsistent combination for sonic fireworks. But mine is pretty decent. It has a nice dimensionality to it. And it’s certainly worth the price you paid for the quality of music you will have to enjoy. United is, as mentioned, hit-or-miss. Hopefully you get a hit like I did.

Cheers,

Bill

Nomadicarchivist and BlueTrane like this.
  3. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

That is an incredible thing. The RT arranged Fairport version of the song is more structured, and a classic, but this just leaves the planet.

The other song she did at that post Christmas 1968 session (‘Now And Then’) is equally extraordinary.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  4. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Hard to pick up one record so I usually recommend the original Hannibal "Best Of" (which seems to me to be as true to the essence of her as a writer and performer as anything else), the "Attic Tracks" rarities set and "What We Did On Our Holidays". After that "Liege and Lief" and the "Fotheringay" record.

The problem with her body of work, and especially the four solo albums, is the influence of management, a&r (mis)direction, less than stellar production choices etc. She was truly wonderful and remains under appreciated and misunderstood (certainly compared with RT, John Martyn and Nick Drake) but I still find that you kind of have to pick your own listening path through the missteps.

5. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

The numero 2LP if All Our Own work is very good. Although I've no experience with the label, I was pleased when it came out and certainly not disappointed with the quality. Along with its digital equivalent on Witchwood (now defunct I think) its pretty much definitive.

6. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

It seems to me you have already mentioned everything ... but maybe this is missing, and IMHO, is a very nice album to have, original from'70: Sandy Denny, It's Sandy Denny Sandy Denny - It's Sandy Denny

7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

OK, I'm doing my Sandy LP listening party this morning of three of her solo albums. Shooting from the hip...a quick review.

The North Star Grassman and The Ravens-has that tired worn sound/feel of a Richard and Linda Thompson album. RT's electric guitar work is mind bending but brief. The Dylan cover is out of place and jolts the mood off kilter. I don't know why the Brits in the Fairport circle of this era thought it was cool to cover Dylan.I guess it was the thing to do but they didn't do it well unlike Rod Stewart who always covered Dylan well.

Like An Old Fashioned Waltz-Too arranged and spotty, my least favorite although Sandy sings well even these less than exciting songs.

Sandy-right off the bat you can tell this is more together in recording, song selection, performance. Now I remember why it's the one I put in an outer sleeve and put on my top shelf. The Dylan cover is better but still...I'd rather hear a Sandy song or a trad. Brit tune.

Is it just me or do Sandy and Linda Peters sound like siblings? I prefer Linda by a bit because of her work on those RT/LT albums.

Alan2 likes this.
  8. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Oddly enough, the records I've had the hardest time getting into are her earliest ones (pre-Fairport). I need to give them both another chance.

Alan2 likes this.
  9. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

There's a big Clannad compilation due out 2019/2020. In a Lifetime.

AlmanacZinger and Fender Relic like this.
  10. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

There are some great Sandy and Linda duets out there. Their voices a re similar but there's a contrast too.

Hep Alien, Giorgio and Fender Relic like this.
  11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

The second fotheringay album is worth picking up. It was completed by jerry Donohue a few years back before his medical problems.

I had tickets to see fairport with sandy in early 74 in nyc but they cancelled and did a far east tour instead. It would have been the only time I would have seen her.

12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Giorgio and CybrKhatru like this.
  13. davmar77

The sandy deluxe edition contains live tracks from 1973. I was told recently that the versions used on there were taken from a recording made off the radio that I circulated a few years ago.

PhantomStranger and bzfgt like this.
  14. SkeletonPete

SkeletonPete Forum Resident

Just an FYI -

I'm not sure if the OP is on any streaming service or adverse to the idea of sampling the music that way before making physical purchase decisions, but Apple Music currently has 314 songs, 21 hours 19 minutes worth of Sandy's music under the album title "Complete Edition".

It includes "studio outtakes, home demos, unheard songs and complete studio recordings including Fairport Convention, Fotheringay and the Strawbs."

Its original release date is listed as 2010 on Island Records. Might be worth a listen for the $10 monthly subscription fee. In its physical format this compilation is currently listed by 1 Amazon Marketplace dealer for $1500.00 + shipping + tax.

15. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Wow, I can't believe the Complete Edition is streaming on Apple Music. I don't think it is anywhere else. That's amazing, thank you for posting.

16. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

The Fotheringay concert I went to after the release of the wonderful second album was one of the most joyous I have ever been to despite the absences of Sandy and Trevor Lucas.

I think Sandy was a great singer but a very good composer which is why she found her true milieu when Fairport started reinterpreting all those old folk songs. As a songwriter she undoubtedly wrote some masterpieces but she also wrote a lot of pleasant but undistinguished songs which makes some of her solo work sound samey.

Hep Alien and Fender Relic like this.
  17. davmar77

the 1970 live release from essen is pretty good. it doesn't sound like a pro recording but is still clear enough. I shelled out for it a few years ago. it was kind of expensive too for what you got.

Zardok likes this.
  18. ashiya

ashiya Forum Resident

I'll be interested in what you think of the SQ on the Numero vinyl as I'm tempted. I have the 2010 Witchwood CD of the same stuff but it's compressed (Who Knows Where The Time Goes has DR7) so was worried the mastering on the vinyl might not be too different.

I also have the original Hallmark vinyl but the balance is very lopsided to the left channel (like a couple of other early 70s albums I have) - anyone else noticed this?

19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've been thinking about Sandy a lot lately. I just started reading "I've Always Kept a Unicorn". I read "No More Sad Refrains" years ago and the writer berated Trevor Lucas a lot while ignoring some of Sandy's flaws. So far, I'm enjoying this book more.

Coincidentally, I just played the Fotheringay LP earlier this evening. I have an original UK press and it's not in very good shape, but I see clean originals go for a fair sum on Discogs. I was obsessed with Sandy Denny and the Fairport family some 25 years ago. I kind of burnt out on all the jigs and reels but I still love the Sandy/Richard Thompson classics. My faves from Sandy's solo career are "Sandy" and "North Star". But there are gems scattered everywhere. Glad she's not completely forgotten about. My God, *that voice*. It can raise the hairs like no other.

20. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

One of my favorite Sandy songs, although it's often overlooked. I prefer this demo version. Her reputation as a singer has always overshadowed her considerable songwriting ability:

21. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Fotheringay was the most consistent & accomplished after Fairport

MoonPool, SquaRoots and CCrider92 like this.
  22. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

This may well be a version of the album I found a while ago:

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and Giorgio like this.
  23. Greybeard49

Greybeard49 Well-Known Member

Fotheringay, the song from Fairport's, What We Did on Our Holiday, is my favorite. I don't know what is better, the excellent picking or her voice. I never play that song just once.

24. mrzpliff

mrzpliff Forum Resident

Absolutely fantastc song ond performance.

25. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I love those Tabor/Oysterband albums. Sludgy folk rock??

AlmanacZinger and Matty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.