Sansung 4K HDR TV and TosLink.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kiko1974, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting a 2 meters optical cable to connect my Samsung 4K HDR set that has TosLink output to my Pioneer SC LX-76 A/V receiver, I don't like to have HDMI-CEC on and have to switch it on and off everytime I want to play something from Amazon Video and other platforms.
    My question is, both Amazon Video and most Spanish networks broadcast on Dolby Digital Plus. Is Dolby Digital Plus transmited over TosLink or only downconverted plain Dolby Digital?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

Due to the higher bit rates, Dolby Digital Plus requires HDMI.

3. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Yes HDMI is the only way to go..

4. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Your receiver has a HDMI ARC connection so this is the connection to use..

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

But my Samsung 4K HDR set from 2017 doesn't pass Dolby Digital Plus via ARC, only plain Dolby Digital (despite many stations here broadcast using Dolby Digital Plus as audio codec, and also Amazon Video and Netflix), DTS (for example when playing a movie with DTS-HD MA via the TV's USB input from a thumb drive) or plain stereo PCM.
    My Samsung 4K HDR set only has one HDMI 2.0 input, the remaining two are 1.4, including HDMI 3 that is the ARC one.
    So it seems that my set can only output Dolby Digital regardless if what's playing/receiving has audio compressed on Dolby Digital Plus. As it is the way my set works I find TosLink more convenient as it outputs audio all the time, regardless of HDMI configuration, so I won't have to bother with HDMI ARC, HDMI-CEC, just plug an optical TolLink cable to the TV's TosLink output and connect it to the receiver's TosLink input that's labeled as "TV".

I think Dolby Digital Plus not being output via TosLink is a restriction imposed by Dolby, a Toslink output/input with a decent cable is able to pass 96/24, even 192/24 if both the TosLink output/input and the cable used are of good quality. Dolby Digital Plus used for Netflix or Amazon Video uses to have a bit rate of 640 Kbits/Sec, sometimes 700 someting Kbits/Sec, that's less than uncompressed red book bit depth which TosLink has been able to pass for ages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.