Santa Clarita Diet - Netflix Comedy Debut February 3, 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Netflix sets premiere for Drew Barrymore comedy 'Santa Clarita Diet' — exclusive »

"In Santa Clarita Diet, Joel (Timothy Olyphant) and Sheila (Drew Barrymore) are husband and wife realtors leading vaguely discontented lives in the L.A. suburb of Santa Clarita with their teenaged daughter Abby (Liv Hewson) until Sheila goes through a dramatic change, sending their lives down a road of death and destruction… but in a good way."

Not sure how this one will turn out but I'm an Olyphant fan from "Justified" and will be watching since I live in Santa Clarita. Besides, I want to see how a road of death and destruction can be traveled "in a good way".

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is someone too fat for a safety belt and falls off a ride at Magic Mountain?

3. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

Drew Barrymore? I'm in! Ex-Valencian here as well.

Veech likes this.
  4. Veech

CrazyCatz and driverdrummer like this.
  5. Veech

6. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Funny Zombie Show ? ....... Meh

7. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

We watched the first episode tonight. My wife's opinion was it was a piece of crap & she won't watch another episode. My opinion was it was a piece of crap that made me chuckle a couple of times so I'll watch another episode.

8. Veech

Did you get any further? We've watched 9 episodes, one more to go. The novelty of being filmed in our hometown wore off pretty quickly and we settled in to check it out. Timothy Oliphant's performance is pitch perfect. Drew Barrymore and the rest of the cast carry their weight and serve as foil for Oliphant's character Joel. The humor is suitably dark, farcical and generally sharp, not unlike "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" only following a darker, more ominous path. There are a couple of major twists that supercharge the story line such as Joel's shovel incident and Sheila's toe situation, both of which serve to remind you that there's plenty of darkness just under the surface of this light-hearted zombie comedy. We enjoy it, I would rank it 4 out of 5.

9. woody

woody Forum Resident

Watched the first 2 episodes with my wife tonight. It's a bit gross but some really funny bits and more than a few chuckles. Reminds me of Simon Pegg's humor to an extent.

matteos and Veech like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I visit this section less than others but first thing I see is a Timothy Oliphant show I didn't know about. He was great in Deadwood and Justified so yeah, I'll definitely give this a shot.

Bender Rodriguez and Veech like this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am a fellow Santa Clarita person haha, at first I checked out the show just to see where they filmed around where I am however I found myself enjoying the show itself as well

Veech likes this.
  12. Veech

Remember how Oliphant played Raylan Givens with a bit of a smirk? He's in full-on farce mode here. Adjust your expectations as this is completely different for him, and I think you'll get a kick out of it.

13. Veech

Check this out Santa Clarita Diet (2017)

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Well that was a waste of time (imho). After Deadwood and Justified Timothy does this?:confused: I guess there are bills to be paid.

15. Veech

Olyphant is executive producer on the show so I think this is the direction he wants to go.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's usually just a way for him to get paid at a higher level. This sort of thing happens all the time with bigger names on tv shows.

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I finished it last night. It started off shaky but the further it went along, the funnier it got. It seemed like once it got away from the gore somewhat, it smoothed out. Olyphant is very good in this. A nice combination of straight-on manic & going to his happy place. I liked it.

Veech and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  18. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I started watching this week and am currently 5 episodes in. Initially I thought it was just too over the top quirky, (even though I do like quirky), but I'm liking it more and more with each episode. The next door, intense cop is a bit too cliche for me but Oliphant's character makes up for it, what a gas. I'm not completely sold on it yet but I'm going to continue through this first season.

Bender Rodriguez and Veech like this.
  19. Veech

The whole thing starts to gel about halfway through. I think the episode with the attempted mother-daughter day was kind of a mis-step but it set up some great jokes. Watched the last episode last night and yeah, I want more.

I don't think there's another show like it on TV, at least not based on what I've seen. Do we have a new genre with "Zomedy"?

turnersmemo and Hawkeye like this.
  20. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Is it a RomZomCom then?

driverdrummer likes this.
  21. Veech

hah or considering the mother/daughter thing maybe a MomRomZomCom.

22. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Adding to the genre!

23. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Timothy Oliphant didn't need another grim, intense character. He looks like he's having a good time and so am I. I think Drew is OK and she's OK here, the daughter is low key funny and I like seeing Mary Elizabeth Ellis play a character with a name and also see Nathan Fillion get what's been coming to him for so very long. The gross-outs will have to be well paced so as not to become very predictable but it looks like there's enough going on here to mix it up at keep it lively.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  24. Veech

Olyphant has mentioned in interviews that the one-hour shows can be a real grind. He has to be enjoying the half-hour format, especially considering the fairly skimpy 10-episode run. I wonder if they went with such a short run just to see if this show would find an audience. I hope it does because I agree, he looks like he's having a blast. It was cool to see Patton Oswalt, a Justified alum, stop by for one episode. Justified was also filmed in and around Santa Clarita.

25. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

I watched the first episode this afternoon...then episode two...then three...binged the whole season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.