Santa Clarita Diet - Netflix Comedy Debut February 3, 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This show really is Desperate Zombie Housewives, right down to the music. It gets better as you go. The humor is the kind where a joke is set up and then they usually take it one line too many-but there was definitely enough laughs to keep me interested until the end.

Hawkeye likes this.
  2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I finished the first season a few nights ago. Wasn't sure I'd like it but it grew on me and I'm now looking forward to season 2.

3. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I wonder why did he cast Patton Oswald...he did not seem to like him when he appeared on Justified...I recall interviews....

4. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

*** CONTAINS SPOILERS***

I've just binged watched the first ten episodes. Timothy Olyphant and Drew Barrymore (still as adorable as ever) play off each other so well.

I love the scene when Sheila sees Joel dumping Dan's body over the wall while she's talking to the neighbour in the kitchen.

Sheila: Oh, f**k! I f**king love kites. In the f**king sky, amongst the f**king clouds :laugh:

Has Netflix divided season one into two parts? They sometimes do that.

5. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I loved it. I knew nothing about it but was looking around Netflix the day it was released and thought I'd have a nose. A few hours later, I'd watched the lot. It settled nicely as it went in and I genuinely laughed at quite a few bits which is rare when I'm watching something on my own. Drew makes a superb zombie, there is something effortlessly comical about her launching herself at people. I can't wait for the next series

6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I think this is a highly enjoyable series. Granted, it's a black comedy, which is a tightrope walk that's very tricky to pull off. And it has the added difficulty of being about the banalities of the real world (real estate sales and home life) with that of a truly bizarre, imaginary world (zombie mom, aka "mombie," who feeds on human flesh) that requires you to suspend belief in the real world.

But once you've wrapped your head around those two concepts (which may take a few episodes) and you realize that almost every scene is going to be played for laughs, it's a very fun show to watch. Oliphant is priceless as he struggles to maintain a brave, smiling, "everything is fine!" attitude while trying to cope with an undead wife who projectile vomits gallons of green slime onto the carpet of a home they're showing to a prospective buyer.

Most black comedies fail because it's extraordinarily difficult to maintain exactly the right tone over the course of a 90-minute movie or an entire series. And while this series does occasionally falter, it's largely successful. Every episode had me howling with laughter at least a few times...

Veech, Hawkeye and Scotian like this.
  7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Season Two announced:

8. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Thought he was great in Justified, so when I saw this I thought great.

We made it through maybe 1/2 hour, we're done.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Not for everybody of course. I thought the same thing as you part way through the first episode and into the second. However, I pushed on though and eventually ended up liking it quite a bit by the end of the first season. I'm looking forward to season 2. Olyphant had me cracking up with his over-the-top-ness.

10. Clark V Kauffman

Yeah, this was my experience, as well. The premise of show is so off the wall, it takes a few episodes to simply understand what you're dealing with... Comedy? Black comedy? Parody of zombie drama? Parody of bad sitcoms? Once you figure that out and, uh, embrace the concept of a flesh-eating, suburban "mombie," the show really pays off.

11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Binged season 1 this week - loved it.

Generally not a fan of "zombie" shows. However, this is quite different. The underlying theme of a long-time married, suburban couple dealing with & accepting changes in each other, makes for interesting watching.

Can't wait for season 2!

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Nom Nom Nom!

13. Just binged Season 1 tonight. I found it very entertaining. I've always loved Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant nails every role he takes on.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  14. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Digging into the 2nd series now, I absolutely love this show and its quirks!

15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think this is one of the best written dialogue shows ever.

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Just finished watching season 2 and I thought it was fantastic.
    Many hilarious moments that had me in stitches.

17. Hilarious. The lines that come out of their mouths and their expressions are priceless.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I got through four episodes and quit. Painfully unfunny and the first role for Timothy Olyphant where his acting felt forced and over the top bad. I wanted to like this, but it was a no go.

19. He’s the funniest part in season two imho. He delivers absurdities with pretty funny off beat tones. I laughed out loud through ep 4.5 and 6 of season 2 last night.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Clark V Kauffman

Like others, I think the show is flat-out hilarious. Unlike the many sitcoms that rely on hot, young millennials spouting unrealistic dialogue (every line is either a punch line or an obvious set-up for a punch line), this show’s humor is derived from every-day characters (suburban middle-aged Realtors) making mundane observations but in the context of a totally bizarre situation (the wife is a zombie) that they’re forced to contend with. Olyphant is amazing at this; just his facial expressions are priceless.

Among the best lines:

“I just wanted your vomit. Why’d you have to make it weird?” — Abby

“Our kitchen looks like the inside of a shark.”— Joel, after Sheila devours a visitor

“I don’t know honey, we have a lot on our plate, I don’t want to be opening up a finishing school for the undead.”— Joel to Sheila

“Killing people is hard. I used to think that was a good thing.”— Joel

“What good is a housing development when a rabid army of flesh eating goons are roaming the streets?”— Joel

“I just wish you could eat chicken.”— Joel to Sheila

Once you adjust to the bizarre premise of the show — and, yeah, that took me a while — it’s just hilarious.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    jpelg and marmalade166 like this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Different strokes, my friend. I’m glad you enjoy it. :)

Mazzy likes this.
  22. HippieDrill

HippieDrill Forum Resident

i like it. It's pretty quirky and off beat so it took a few episodes to grow on me but once it did i was digging it. Season 2 got even better and left me anxious for season 3.

23. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Season 3 coming next week:

24. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

25. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

Really liked the show, but I never expected it to last as long as it did.

I'm sure at least Olyphant will land on his feet; dude is so underrated it hurts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.