Santana Abraxas 50th Anniversary Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Golfhead, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Golfhead

Golfhead Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just listened to this reissue last night. I wanted a new clean copy of the title that was quieter than my 1970 Columbia pressing. The reissue is on the Columbia Legacy label and pressed on 180 gram vinyl and was $25 from my local record store. I do not know the source used for the pressing, but the sound quality is excellent-warm and and clear with no pops, clicks, or groove noise on my copy. The album is generally considered to be Santana’s finest and one of the best albums ever. I recommend this reissue to anyone who would like a great sounding version of this classic LP.

2. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Any info about mastering on the jacket or clues in the dead wax?

3. Golfhead

No-been hoping to see a professional review that may give some info. But for the cost I’m pleased with the quality of the cover and the vinyl. Also comes with a nice copy of the fold out poster of the band that came with the original 1970 release.

Taxman likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have the MFSL vinyl that came out some 10 years ago....if anyone can give a comparitive viewpoint to this pressing it'd be much appreciated. I need to know if the album is worth buying again (which I would do)in terms of sound quality.

5. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

There were several places that described this as a repress rather than a remaster so I have been assuming it is the same mastering as some prior Legacy reissue.

6. Golfhead

Yes now that you say that I see that Elusive Disc says it is a repress. Based on the sound quality it is a good reissue at a good price. Recommended if you want a really good sounding clean copy.

7. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

So Kevin Gray cut this? Is is AAA? Any thoughts on the sound quality from anyone who has picked it up. I have the MFSL, wondering about getting this one also.

Figured there would be a lot more talk about this one with KG cutting it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  8. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

The one thing that always bugged me about this album was that the picture in the gatefold is backwards. I can’t see any reason why they did that other than sloppy error. I always hated when they did that to rock photos.

Haggischomper likes this.
  9. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Where did you see that KG did this one?

MedozK likes this.
  10. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Information added to Discogs

Santana - Abraxas

David P. Hill and Golfhead like this.
  11. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

So no one here can comment on the sound?

12. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Someone on amazon posted that album artwork was printed from low rez images and appears blurry

13. BiggaWhat

BiggaWhat Well-Known Member

I just got this, indeed has KPG@CA in the deadwax. While I'm no expert on this album or its various pressings, can confirm this one sounds really good to me. Some fairly minor pressing issues on my copy, have a replacement on the way so we'll see how that turns out. Overall seems like a good option for a really nice sounding copy, assuming the pressing issues aren't more widespread

Echoes Myron, MedozK and Guildx500 like this.
  14. Chest Pains Productions

What’s the pressing issue?

15. BiggaWhat

There are a couple of really really small scratches/marks that cause audible light ticking on my system. Its otherwise quiet with almost no surface noise. Was borderline for needing replaced in my book but bought it from Target so figured why not

16. Chest Pains Productions

Target still sells LPs? My local doesn’t carry them anymore.

17. BiggaWhat

Haha I think so, I've never bought one in store. They occasionally run decent vinyl sales online so I just picked this up on a whim when I saw it there

18. Chest Pains Productions

How was the packaging? If it’s anything like how Amazon packs LPs for shipping I will never order from them.

19. BiggaWhat

Probably worse than Amazon, somehow, but as a soulless corporate entity they have a generous return policy so :shrug:

20. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Guess I will be picking this one up then, KG in the deadwax is almost an automatic buy from me.

21. Chest Pains Productions

Did yours arrive with damage to the cover? Nothing can be worse than Amazon just throwing an LP in an oversized box with no padding/packing whatsoever.

22. Golfhead

Checked deadwax and KPG@CA definitely inscribed. Sound quality is excellent as it is on my Kevin Gray mastered Blue Note Tone Poets and Blue Note 80th Anniversary reissues. A couple minor marks on the vinyl are inaudible on my system which is pretty revealing. The cover photo looks maybe a little less sharp in detail compared to my 1970 pressing but not enough to really notice without close inspection. Poster photograph is on better coated paper than the 1970 poster. No cover damage but I bought from my local record store. All in all-worth my $25!

Taxman, kgo, Guildx500 and 2 others like this.
  23. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Someone really should have told the marketing department that they did a new master for this release. I will put this on my buy list. Thanks guys.

MedozK likes this.
  24. Chest Pains Productions

A hype sticker in mandatory for reissues as far as I am concerned!!

MedozK likes this.
  25. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Loved this album in its day...wore it out.

Golfhead likes this.