Saturday Night Fever 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FACE OF BOE, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That makes sense, expect the CD credit says it’s “remastered” by Traugott.

RoyalScam likes this.
  2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Joe Palmaccio at Polygram remastered the 95 release. I don't know why the new set is credited to Wally. I wish that Capitol posted those remixes on youtube or someplace so fans can hear them.

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Is it a real digipack with plastic type trays or a card sleeve case?

Thanks

Scott

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

5. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Scott.
    No just a cardboard sleeve no plastic trays. To protect the CD's I put them in those Japanese plastic sleeves. Shame for such an important release its so cheaply packaged.
    Regards
    Marc

Scottb likes this.
  6. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes that 95 remaster is decent and has good dynamics but I think it's a bit too dull. I guess everyone has different tastes and systems. Still I find it strange that Capitol wouldn't give the album a fresh new remaster with this new release.

Monosterio likes this.
  7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

The 4 remix tracks are on itunes US. I know the soundtrack was remastered in 1995 and maybe it's something with itunes but the 4 new remixes are about 10 DB louder then the songs on the first CD(original soundtrack). I noticed a review of the CD set on Amazon and the person said the remixes on disc 2 are much louder then the soundtrack on disc 1. Obviously remastering in 1995 is going to be lower in volume then in 2017 but the difference is so drastic. So if any here wants go to itunes and check out the remixes and also the same songs on the soundtrack. This whole reissue was just cobbled together. I think Capitol should have done a proper new 2017 remaster of the soundtrack and not just reissue the 1995 remaster and then include 4 remixes on the second CD.

ispace likes this.
  8. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Whilst not mastered to please us audiophiles - I can confirm that the four Serban remixes are fantastic and bring a new ear to the songs!! I want him to remix the catalogue!

George McClellan and FACE OF BOE like this.
  9. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I've had the original USA release on CD (one of those "fat boy" two disc things) for at least 25 years, maybe closer to 30, and have always liked it so don't feel the need to get anything new unless there is a really compelling reason. Not sure i see that in this description.

10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

When Capitol took over the catalog and re-released the SNF soundtrack, they went back to the Palmaccio '95 remaster - which kind of makes sense, since that's easily accessible in parent-company Universal's vault. It also makes sense, given that the reviews are largely that the soundtrack is "low in volume," that that's what was used in the new box - but it's infuriating that they'd charge a premium for PACKAGING in the absence of much new audio content. As for the Traugott credit, well, he did have the mastering credit on the original album, so it's likely a misprint.

All in all, a HUGE miss for a lavish 40th Anniversary box set.

Boxy and granata like this.
  11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never cared for the film, but I thought the 2000 whatever remaster on Reprise sounded just fine. It is very close to my 1978 second pressing of the album.

12. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

I'm thinking the Wally Traugott credit is a carryover from the original LP, since Wally cut the lacquers for RSO.

13. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I really like the '95 remaster. No reason for me to repurchase this. Also have the original 2 lp vinyl and the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray of the movie.

MielR likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Hang on to the fat boy Stephen. I don't actually have that version of SNF, but I do have the fat boy for Bee Gees Greatest and it sounds phenomenal.

Stephen J likes this.
  15. RoyalScam

Having finally heard the Deluxe Edition CD, the main album certainly sounds similar to the '95 Palmaccio remaster to my ears.

Those 4 remixes, however, are just ridiculously loud. Brownie points for not adding any modern elements and working with what was there - but what we've got is comparable, IMO, to the largely hated Nick Davis remixes of the Genesis catalog. Just...unnecessary.

ispace likes this.
  16. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

If you look at the work that Serban does it's all modern and massively loud so it's no surprise that the tracks on disc 2 are compressed to death. I think Capitol really dropped the ball with the Bee Gee's catalog.

ispace and Futurecity like this.
  17. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Yes, Capitol has dropped the ball big time and what they've reissued or released so far has been extremely disappointing. Regarding SNF, Capitol must be joking - first they reissue SNF with the original 1995 mastering and with all the original 1995 CD inserts, I never saw a company do that before, and now they are dumping more of their 1995 mastered discs into this 40th release, not to mention the lack of imagination or any worthy extra content for disc 2, I mean, the longtime fans would have been better off if Barry stayed with Rhino.

Boxy, granata and Scottb like this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I saw this reissue in HMV this week. I wasn't put off by the (supposed) 1995 mastering, though it's an unusual choice.. I didn't like the flimsy looking digipak packaging, though...

RoyalScam and Scottb like this.
  19. Futurecity

Well, I already bought Capitol's recent SNF reissue in a jewel case which has the old 1995 mastering and the original 1995 CD inserts as well, so it's disappointing the new 40th release doesn't have all-new remastering...I certainly don't need to buy another copy of Capitol's SNF with the same 1995 mastered disc, and yes, I agree, I also saw a copy of the 2CD in a card sleeve recently and the packaging looks cheap for such a classic album.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

What a total fail of a super deluxe edition.

Who is this aimed at? The casual fan won't buy it. The serious fan will quickly ascertain there's nothing here but a handful of remixes and some unexciting ephemera.

ispace likes this.
  21. RoyalScam

Yeah, it's not the recycling of the 1995 mastering and inserts that I find insulting...as I'd stated above, it sort of makes sense to me because that's what they likely had in the Universal vaults. You couldn't expect WEA to just gift them all of their more recent Rhino mastering work. You COULD expect that they'd have given it a shiny new mastering, but what's to say it would've been better? I don't buy into the edict that everything must be remastered every time a catalog changes hands.

BUT, my issue here is that they expect to charge a PREMIUM for the old mastering in the Super Deluxe Edition. At least the more expensive package should've warranted some more effort, and certainly more extra, unreleased music. And the less said about the remixes, the better.

granata, Scottb and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I've only heard clips of the 4 remixes on itunes. They are very loud on the CD right?

23. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Well a lot louder than a 90s CD yes.

Scottb likes this.
  24. Futurecity

Well, it's certainly not unreasonable to expect Capitol to reissue SNF with a new remaster and at least update the CD inserts too, as putting it out again with the old inserts just seems plain lazy. I personally thought Capitol's reissue with the '95 mastering needed some cleaning up and sounded dated, so chances are a new remaster would have sounded better, but oh well. As for the 40th edition, Capitol and Barry needed to come up with something special, because as you said, they are charging a lot for the 40th DE version, but it's just a bad sign that Capitol would release it the way they did. At least Rhino remastered SNF and also included the Staying Alive Promo 12" and "Warm Ride" on GREATEST.

Scottb and granata like this.
  25. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.