Saturday Night Live - Season 48 (2022-2023) Thread SNL

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Leading into SNL's Season 48, we have rocky news about the cast. This last week of August is when SNL has traditionally announced its first shows of the new season (although that was delayed in 2020 and 2021).

After the end of last season, Aidy Bryant, Pete Davidson, Kate McKinnon and Kyle Mooney announced they were leaving the cast. Over this summer, veteran SNL producer Linday Shookus left the show after 20 years.

Cecily Strong will miss the first couple months of this new season. She is doing a play in Los Angeles, Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin’s “The Search for Intelligent Life in the Universe."

Today, the press is reporting that Melissa Villaseñor, Alex Moffat, and Aristotle Athari will not be returning for Season 48. This means means one-third of last season's cast is not returning, a big shake up. No new cast members have been announced for this upcoming season.

Also, Peacock (and not Hulu) will be SNL's exclusive next-day streaming home. NBCUniversal terminated its next-day streaming deal with Hulu this summer, moving its TV shows to its own streaming service.

Much online chatter about when Lorne Michaels will hang up his hat, and the fate of SNL ...

Also, let's get the inevitable out of the way ... :laugh: The show hasn't been funny since Chevy Chase / John Belushi / Eddie Murphy / Dana Carvey / Phil Hartman / Chris Farley / Norm Macdonald / Will Ferrell / Tina Fey / Kristen Wiig / Kate McKinnon left, and I can't believe anyone still watches it. This show used to be funny back in [list years when I was teens or twenties], but the sketches today are not funny and the musical guests are terrible acts I never heard of. :laugh:

RTurner, Dan C, bartels76 and 5 others like this.
  2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Close thread! (Gorts, can we please get a smiley that does slow clapping?)

3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

4. Melissa left? Damn, she's my favorite. I was hoping that this would be the year she finally got some serious exposure. Can't blame her for leaving, they never did use her properly.

5. MikaelaArsenault

Grootna and bartels76 like this.
  6. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

McKinnon left? How sad :D

SirCandy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah she was a favourite of mine too. Underused but always great when she was on. I thought this might be her year for more exposure too but earlier on she had been complaining about feeling underused. She seemed to hint she was going on instagram awhile back as well. I get the feeling it might have been one of those mutual decisions.

Dan C, kevywevy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

We all have our favorites, but I've been watching since '75 and I still find at least something in every show that makes me laugh. Weekend Update especially.

I'm looking forward to another season!

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Melissa is super-talented. But she was in a large cast that included Heidi Gardner, Sarah Sherman and Chloe Fineman to cover female parts that Melissa could do, with Chloe also very capable of impersonations. None of those other cast members are leaving for this upcoming season. A lot of what makes or breaks a cast member is connecting with the right group staff writers who will write for you, and who know how to write for you. We don't know what the politics were like among the cast and writers behind-the-scenes.

Last year's cast ballooned up to 21, which I think was the highest for any season. Next largest cast was I believe the 1991 season, with 18. The show had averaged around 12 cast members through the 1980s, then averaged around 14 cast members in the 1990s and later decades. The seven departures will bring the cast members down to 14, if they don't add any new members. The cast had gotten big over the past couple years because a number of them had been taking weeks off from the show for other projects.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. Glad to hear about more change - I prefer more-frequent cast changes so this is all good news. With the cast still being numerous I wonder if there will be any new cast members or will they just allow for more screen time for whomever is left?

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Last year’s cast did set the record for largest cast ever as you noted, with 21. The second-largest cast was the previous season, with 20. I think it’s likely they’ll add at least two more cast members. They haven’t had a cast with 14 members or less in ten years, and the average cast size over the past decade is roughly 17.

12. MikaelaArsenault

Dan C and kevywevy like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

sad so many left. i think lorne hangs on until the 50th season

14. MikaelaArsenault

Kenan Thompson as well.

Ignatius and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he left or he hangs on until season 50?

16. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I'm really going to miss Moffat's Zuckerberg impression (7:22):

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  17. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

I’ve become a big fan of Ego Nwodim since hearing her on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast the last couple of years. I’m always happy to see her in sketches and I hope her role on the show grows more this season.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was a big fan of SNL on and off for more than 20 years, from 1975 through the early 2000s. But I've tried to watch the show in the last 10-15 years, and it's been awful (for the most part), at least to me. There were some good moments with Kristin Wiig and Kate McKinnon, but for the most part it's been a snoozer.

The big rumor is that Lorne Michaels (who will be 78 later this year) will retire next year, and Seth Meyers will leave his own NBC talk show and become the new executive producer/showrunner. I think it's fair to say they need to shake some things up and get funnier people and better writers on staff. I've been enjoying the David Spade/Dana Carvey podcast "Fly on the Wall," which goes into a lot of Saturday Night Live minutia. My only beef with their show is they're reluctant to air any dirty laundry, and I know there was some turmoil in the 1990s (like with Adam Sandler and Chris Farley getting fired in 1995). Still, they have some good insights into how stressful and difficult it was writing for and appearing on SNL back in the day, and I'm sure not a lot of that has changed.

19. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Don't think there was any year with more than ten except for 89-90.

20. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

There's still some pruning that can be done. Shame about Melissa, I really like her. I think of everyone that left for this season, the one that will be the most missed is Kyle Mooney. He definitely had the oddest sense of humor of the group, which was nice to see.

I'd like to keep it at
    The original cast had 7 players, my version here has 10. That feels right. Good, but still missing a real home run hitter.

And lose:
    • Andrew Dismukes
    • Punkie Johnson
    • Mikey Day
    • Heidi Gardner
    These four I don't think have ever made me laugh.

21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Mikey Day writes a lot of sketches.

22. MikaelaArsenault

Hanging on until Season 50.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Looking through all the praise in the Laughintosh 3000 YouTube comments, it's really sad to think that Aristotle seemed to get *this close* to becoming a breakout new cast member. He did some really good supporting work too, but this was his biggest moment and he killed. Shame he won't be back. I like all three, actually, particularly Melissa.

I've got some reservations about a couple or so, but overall it's still a good group. Hoping the new season goes well.

dan c

24. INSW

INSW Senior Member

He had a couple of moments, but he was in about ten sketches the entire season. He was barely on the show. I think Melissa Villasenor is great but they never knew how to use her. Thought her best sketches were the dirty talk ones.

https://youtu.be/49UHAsIk2Ds

JCM800 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I hear they're not going to replace the cast members. The show will just be shortened to one hour by removing them from the opening credits.