Saturday Night Live - Season 48 (2022-2023) Thread SNL

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 1, 2022.

1. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I think they are AskJeeves and Grindr influencers.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this one. A skit that is full of subtext and levels.

3. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

I was the music director of our college radio station in 1987-88 and we still were getting pretty much all vinyl from the labels. We had two turntables that provided the music and one CD player for DJ's who brought their own in. Less than three years I'm in record retail management and it's all CD and cassette with no vinyl whatsoever. Vinyl was all but obsolete.
    Not surprised at all about the purging. Did you work for a chain like Tower or an indie?

Jrr likes this.
  4. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Indie. Huge store , though.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I can top that and it isn’t exactly a great happy ending. I owned a record store about two years prior to CDs being released like crazy, mid 80’s. I couldn’t afford to really bring many in, they were just incredibly expensive. I had a store full of vinyl and as you said, I got to watch my inventory become pretty much worthless seemingly overnight. And that was that….I was out of business not long after a CD only store opened down the street from me. But, I was young and not married with a family yet. It was good to get that childhood dream out of the way when I did, looking back now. I’m still glad I did it, but I had to pretty much start my business life over again from scratch. The irony is the CD store kept expanding, brought in stereo equipment, and then also went under a few years later.

I’m as happy as can be that vinyl came back, but I haven’t a clue how it happened! A little worrisome that Target and Walmart have cut their inventory down about 50% in the last 6 months, and I’m in a big market. On the other hand, our area has seen three new vinyl stores open in the last couple of years so perhaps that explains it.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I like him, but I also can’t argue with your points. No matter what you give him, you know how he’s going to play it. The problem is, if you go for his schtick you’re in safe territory. If not, you’ll never like him. I think if we took a poll here most would say they just don’t like his style as I rarely read anything positive around here about him. I think he’s still there because he’s safe and familiar. And Lorne must like the guy a lot!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Sorry to hear this story. I think the Vinyl cutback , may be to my other post, about lack of availability. A friend that has a local store, and told me 3 out of 4 titles , he orders from all of his distributors are back-ordered. If the labels do not step up and open pressing plants , they may kill this for a second time

Jrr likes this.
  8. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I liked this one, too. Apparently, Marcello Hernandez adapted it from a stand-up routine he wrote and performed.

For all of the claims that this episode was sub-par, I thought it was really good. Even the "dog acting" sketch, which should have been a dud, was pretty hilarious. Dogs not responding on cue during a live SNL show always seems to work.

9. Who, Pete Davidson? :D

Manapua and gitters like this.
  10. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I just wish they would stop using him as the go-to person for game show hosts. I feel like every other episode has its first post-monologue sketch as a game show hosted by Kenan with a weird name.

Jrr, applebonkerz and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. MikaelaArsenault

13. I guess Kate McKinnon, Chris Redd, Aidy Bryant, Pete's okay too. For some reason I just don't care for much of the current cast.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. When it comes to comedy everyone enjoys different styles. I don't really find much of the current cast to be funny.

applebonkerz likes this.
  15. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I'll stump for Sarah Sherman, who is the best new talent on the show in quite awhile. Bowen Yang and James Austin Johnson are great, too.

16. Yeah, there is always new talent in the wings waiting for the chance -some rise, others not. Sarah Sherman's anti-Colin Jost bits are fun to watch.

17. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

I've never been a fan of theirs at all. Primarily because there are no characters there, it's just three guys, you could flip the dialogue between any three of them and it would make no difference. A lot of humor comes from creating a character, no expectations of character makes it less funny to me.

Plus they have done this formula of escalating into violence in almost everything they've done. It's old, it goes to the same place every time.

18. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Plus (I could be wrong) I feel like we were never properly "introduced" to these guys. They just kind of started showing up a year or two ago and we're just supposed to find them funny "because." These shorts are obviously spiritual successors to the digital shorts of the early 2000s, but at least with those they began with two of the cast members. They never even seem to mention these guys in the opening credits the way they used to with other things like "a cartoon by Robert Smigel."

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I enjoy their work more than you do, but I also agree with your criticism. They definitely have a formula, though I think they've been successful at finding variations on that formula sufficient to remain interesting. But every piece they do does follow the same general pattern and relies on the same gradual escalations of violence and bizarre behavior to generate laughs. And you're right about the lack of distinct personas. As you noted, they could swap roles in any piece they have done with no notable difference.

20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The PDD shorts are pretty funny for the most part. Certainly more so than most anything the regular cast does except for JAJs' Trump.

21. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Catching up:

Molly Shannon episode = not good, but Molly brings so much energy & enthusiasm, I find myself smiling along with her infectious smile, even though I'm not laughing.

I thought the Ana De Armas episode was a mix of some good, others fair & others fell flat.

• I found the nail salon sketch very funny - I frequently find the most ridiculous sketches the funniest. :D:thumbsup:
    • I liked the Cold Open, but then I live in the Northeast Tri-state area, so it was a perfect fit. :thumbsup:
    • Game Show The Dome (OK) and Please Don't Destroy - Overuse of attractivenss of Ana: 2 sketches when 1 would've sufficed w/that being a focal point of the sketch.
    • Ego's Lisa character: Too soon for a repeat, esp. as the Pedro Pascal one was so good & that seemed natural breaking, as well as that character original sketch was funnier & it was the original introduction. Not solely related to Lisa character in this episode's sketch, but in gneral, (other than the Pedro one mentioned) I find that cast members break too easily & often. Overboard in relation to how funny each thing they're breaking over actually is. Feeling it's unnatural & almost like cast is being urged to do so in each episode. Seems disingenuous.
    • W/E update = solid. I didn't watch the Molly Kearny bit - I don't care for this new cast member - too much of Melissa McCarthy crossed w/Chris Farley, while not paying any such homage to either in a sketch format, just making it her persona.
    • Spanish Class = OK.
    • American Girl Doll Movie - Lazy writing again w/abrupt ending. Had anticipated they were proposing to do a bit on the Barbie movie & got this. Repeating another sketch from this season when Travis Kelce was having lunch at American Girl Cafe, which I'd found very good.
    • Didn't view music clips, so no comment.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Was this possibly the first time they did a game show sketch without actually playing the game? A clever switch-up but unfortunately, lost in delivery.

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

A little behind, but watched the Molly Shannon episode last night. Oooh boy was that bad.

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident