Saturday Night Live - Season 48 (2022-2023) Thread SNL

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 1, 2022.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Two of those pictured show promise.

3. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

They also ripped on Laugh-In while directly stealing the tentpole sketch of Weekend Update from it. Among other things. Go watch the first three seasons of Laugh-In. SNL took a ton from Laugh-In, and people still dump on Laugh-In thoughtlessly.

Carol's show was never all that hip in any way. I guess she was trendsetting as a female comic that could carry a variety show. I don't have a lot of interest in going back to that material, though I did go through an episode recently. The commercial parodies could be good now and again. There was one where Harvey Korman is a pitchman offering Carol Burnett, a store customer, two boxes of a generic detergent in place of the advertised detergent (there were commercials like this at the time.) Carol refuses the exchange, so Harvey keeps escalating, up to 100 boxes, eventually punches Carol and shoots her to get the box away from her. After Harvey takes off, a cop comes to the aid of the shot Carol. Carol tells the cop to never mind her, get the box of detergent back! That one was funny.

4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

These shows are typical of their era so it's the old you-had-to-be-there scenario. I bought the first season box of Laugh-In, a show I thought was riotously funny as a teen in the late 60s but I couldn't get past a couple of episodes.

5. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Wasn't Lorne a writer on Laugh-In?

6. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yup and the Phyllis Diller Show, too.

aorecords likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

8. MikaelaArsenault

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I remember "Laugh-In" as a series but was too young to remember anything about watching it.

I reviewed the full series set when it came out and thought the series aged poorly.

I respect the ground it broke but just didn't think it was funny - and found it tough to understand why audiences did love it 50 years earlier.

Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In: The Complete Series (1968-1973)

carrick doone likes this.
  10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Like I said, ya had to be there watching at the time. It was considered bold, innovative and just a little bit naughty. Water cooler stuff or for us kids, locker area. I imagine Your Show Of Shows had a similar effect in the 50s but like you with Laugh-In, I was a little too young to remember watching it.

11. MikaelaArsenault

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

As I mention in my review, the funny thing about watching "Laugh-In" 50 years on is how the show somehow managed to seem "hip" though the cast was largely older folks.

It's such a contrast with "SNL" in 1975. That was a show of post-war folks who came of age in the 60s, but most of the main folks on "Laugh-In" came of age much earlier.

So the show felt like "fake counterculture" to me. They wanted to co-opt the hip stuff of the era but didn't really connect.

Whereas "SNL" was by 60s kids and for 60s kids.

14. Oatsdad

No writers = no show.

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hire guys off the street. they can't do worse lol

Jrr and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

No.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

I was 13 years old in1968. There's a show on TV with Judy Carne and Goldie Hawn usually dressed in bikinis or mini-skirts............. I'm watching!
    It's hip to me! ha ha.

Dillydipper and Oatsdad like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Another option is just to take old SNL sketch scripts and shoot them again with the current cast and guests. The more dated references the better.

Jrr and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, during the 2008 strike, some of the show's cast members and writers performed a live show at a concert venue (Bowery Ballroom?), with Yo La Tengo as the musical act, which was not broadcast (understandably). I don't know if the current show is planning the same thing. The 2008 show was not an authorized Saturday Night Live performance, but it basically was in all but name.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep.
    Strike or No Strike, for a Select Few, Saturday Night Was Live (Published 2007)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

While he's probably not in my top 5 or 10 (or even 20) all-time SNL cast members, Kenan Thompson might be the most consistent professional in the show's history. Likable, versatile, and never half-asses his way through even the most half-assed, poorly written material (and there's plenty of that). If SNL were a sports team, he'd definitely be the “glue guy.”

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident