Saturday Night Live - Season 48 (2022-2023) Thread SNL

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Sep 1, 2022.

1. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

So, one of my biggest pet peeves with the show for years has been that they have way too many game show sketches for me.

And with all the talk of reinventing the show what’s the first sketch we get after the open? Another freaking game show sketch!

I was surprised and disappointed to not see Cecily listed in the open. I wonder if they’ve changed to just not list people that aren’t in that episode or has she now left?

Starting to wonder why I’m spending another Saturday night watching this instead of watching a good movie, ettc.

2. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I won’t even attempt to respond or react to a statement like the above… yikes!

:biglaugh:

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he's there. for some reason i thought his name was listed this past summer as a leaving member. glad he's still there

MikaelaArsenault and AKA like this.
  4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Yes… and kl in a box was that really supposed to be music ?
    Wow ? - muzak.. thought he was getting ready to upchuck puke any moment..
    Got to be one of the luckiest talentless arteests ever. I’m gone as a good Edward G
    is starting now on Noir Alley (TCM).
    First debut hour was exceedingly sad and pathetic for me..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  5. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

6. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

You are correct....

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Miles Teller Monologue

8. MikaelaArsenault

Kendrick Lamar: Father Time ft. Sampha

Boswell likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

ManningCast Cold Open

ThereOnceWasANote likes this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

Kendrick Lamar: Rich Spirit/N95

Boswell likes this.
  11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

So I missed it. Did I miss anything worthwhile?

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

it was acceptable to me. take that for what you want it to mean

13. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

I enjoyed the cold open. The rest of the show kind of weak. Thought the host did a good job!

14. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

After a clever opening the first two sketches were exactly the same - men are no longer able to communicate with women. Well maybe it's a thing, I wouldn't know. Mikey Day does a lot of writing and I think the bar scene was his as was the "boyfriend lost in the city" bit from last year. News was very solid, new guy was confident and once again Bowen Yang nailed something no one else could pull off. McDonalds sketch suggests the writers are still on drugs, just different ones.

15. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I agree. I've been watching SNL since it premiered in the 70's, and a statement like that is absolutely
    absurd. He needs to do some catching up.

16. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

The season opener was basically based on the theme of "we hear you." Everyone on the show has clearly heard the criticisms of the show, and went to some length to address, or at least spoof or satirize them. The first post-monologue skit was a game show by design. And the cold opener was good, because it by-passed another frequent problem - if people don't know the public figures (the Manning brothers), will they get or appreciate the sketch? They got their points across, and still entertained.

Weekend Update likewise addressed the perception of political imbalance, but slyly pointed out that Trump fans will have to make do with jokes about Biden's age. And the new, young guest on that segment returned the feature mostly to a simple comic format, rather than some unrequested character that interrupts about half of the news-based material, which is what many want to see.

No real new ideas yet, but they heard you.

17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Was hoping the new African American cast member doing "Corn Kid" on the cold open would've imitated the real kid's high pitched voice but he didn't do it. It would've been funnier for sure...

Hell I can imitate the kid. It's called mimicry!

18. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Kendrick Lamar was the highpoint

Boswell likes this.
  19. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

The cold open was the best part of the show, somehow most skits didn‘t work.

20. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

From earlier postings here, I knew who was gone & of them, I was just sorry to see that Aristotle Athari had departed & so quickly after only one season.

I'm in agreement with much here, but no one mentioned, specifically, Miles Teller's monologue too, which I thought was VG+. Between that & the Cold Open, a solid, encouraging opening to new season. Thereafter, while some were good, others not as solid.

I'd happened to see College Bowl with Peyton Manning, the host, just Friday evening. I wasn't even aware of the show, but out of the corner of my eye, while skipping around, saw him & since I find him likable & engaging, I thought, leave it on, let's see what this is. 'Lo & behold, another of the. more rare, intelligent game shows! :eek::D Yes, please. :agree::thumbsup: So, then, seeing Miles (I only know him as being aware he was in the new Top Gun film & I think I may have caught an interview or some clips while plugging the film), I thought he did an outstanding job impersonating Peyton! :righton:

Speaking of impersonations, Chloe Fineman's of Nicole Kidman was spot-on & exceptional, too! :agree::thumbsup: Good sketch. She deserves more spots, as does Sarah Sherman. I was getting concerned Ego Nwodim had left, but then she was there in that (weak) Caribbean Queen sketch.

New cast-members not on display much, except Michael Longfellow, who, to me, from the W/E Update spot seems to be trying to replicate Bill Hader; too soon to tell. W/E Update which I'd enjoyed & thought, good, remains strong, for me it went downhill from that point on.

I can't speak to Kendrick Lamar's performance, as I didn't view it, not being a fan of rap, though I like some songs & was surprised & dismayed to learn of Coolio's passing last week. R.I.P. :sigh:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  21. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Well they better start cranking out the funny soon cause I'm not spending 90 minutes of my Saturday night watching a program that can only offer satirical awareness that they aren't any good.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  22. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

The interwebs is also taking SNL to task for seemingly ripping off this youtube parody:

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I thought the show was awful. All those skits with the cast in cartoon costumes was like a Sid & Marty Croft nightmare. Teller did a good Peyton Manning impression, though. The game show skit was one of the worst they've ever done. Jettisoning all those cast members hasn't helped at all. I'd say there's nowhere to go but up but I fear rock bottom is yet to come.

Shoes1916 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Coincidentally, "a big lump with knobs" is how most of my ex-girlfriends refer to me.

25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Yeah, I hear you. But really what the hell can one do between 10:30PM to midnight Central standard on a Saturday night as a senior citizen? My local movie theaters close around that time. As it is for my Saturday nights as a single man I feel like I'm doing SNL a favor as a loyal fan. It's the least I can do for all the REALLY funny episodes throughout the years from the very first episode. Since I don't celebrate holidays, SNL is my only tradition I have left.