Saturday Night Live - Season 49 (2023-2024) Thread SNL

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Mikey has been an absolute MVP this season. Versatile, great player.
    I love Sarah as well. Really brings her own energy to the show.
    Ego is perhaps the best female cast member at the moment. Can play both straight and way over the top. Loved her lisa from Temecula.

Chloe is wonderful with her impressions but a bit weaker when she's in regular sketches.

2. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Chloe seems like she can actually act. Not saying she’s Cate Blanchett or something, but most SNL cast members come across as comedians who are doing sketches. I could see her doing a passable job in a dramatic role.

3. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

It seems Chole is already on her way in a dramatic role and in a Big Way.Chole is in the very anticipated new Francis Ford Coppola film "Megalopolis" coming in the near future.Looks to be a huge film with an amazing cast.I have a feeling she may not be back in the fall,if so maybe for a final season,she is one of my favorites on SNL.
    Megalopolis (2024) ⭐ 7.2 | Drama, Sci-Fi

[​IMG]

4. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I though this was the highlight of the show, by far

5. EndOfTheRainbow

When looking for SNL, punched in SCTV by mistake, please forgive me....

6. Old Fart At Play

Yeah, I just noticed that after I’d posted! It does seem likely that she’d have no more than one more season left at SNL, max. She always seemed a little too good for that show, in my opinion. Meaning not doing as much dumb humor as it typically seems to specialize in.

7. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Michaels seems to have mellowed in recent years as far as cast turnover. The last time he fired anyone who wasn't a first-year featured player was 2017 (when Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah were let go). Since then, if you make it into your second year you seem to be safe. By that metric Chloe Troast would be the only one at potential risk. It's true she hasn't had the opportunity to make much of an impression, but I think the new, milder Michaels is just going to roll with this year's cast. There's no "house on fire" urgency driving turnover, and they're heading into an election year which usually means a ratings boost. I suspect the only cast changes will result from voluntary quits.

9. EndOfTheRainbow

Sarah Sherman gets on my nerves so bad that I tend to wince anytime she shows up, I just don't find her funny, tends to "overact", looks like she is having a good time, but just does not make me laugh

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I liked Taran Killiam and was surprised he was let go. He is currently in Spamalot on Broadway.

11. Old Fart At Play

Amen. A comedian who seems to think that being funny consists entirely of making goofy expressions.

12. R79

R79 Forum Resident

Eh, I wasnt really feeling that one, a bit too obvious with the gore humor, and it looks like something most comedy shows/cartoons have done with Scooby parodies (I could have seen Robot Chicken do that for example). Personally, I thought the one about protecting character actors from being assaulted was funnier.

MikaelaArsenault and Atmospheric like this.
  13. EndOfTheRainbow

Yeah I liked that one as well, though I don't think of Buscemi as a character actor, but as a main one,

One thing I like about watching Seth Meyers is that he give a lot of credit to the writers, and does talk about how a joke works and doesn't work sometimes....

14. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I like her but I can imagine that people find her annoying. Her brand of humor is pretty specific.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think they've gone to the well maybe one too many times with rewrites of Monty Python's "Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days" sketch. The Farewell Mr. Bunting sketch in season 41 was unexpected and absolutely hilarious. The Christmas Carol sketch earlier this season was pretty funny. But this Scooby Doo sketch is the second one now in a single season and it's a pretty blatant rewrite of that Christmas Carol sketch without any new ideas added. They don't seem to do recurring characters anymore, but they definitely rewrite and reuse the same sketches multiple times.

16. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Watching it now. I loved the Scooby Doo sketch. That one feels like Sarah Sherman had a big part in writing it

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Really? Glad I gave up on this show. But poster above loved it. Comedy is tough!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I don't get the love for that Scooby-Doo sketch either - it just relies on gross-out elements for "humor".

And it's the same "joke" they used for the "Christmas Carol" bit with Martin Short and Steve Martin, so it doesn't even seem creative.

19. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

I hope Chloe Troast sticks, if only for her great singing.

20. Also, being the upcoming 50th year not sure how much he wants to risk changing the cast much.

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if Michael Longfellow is dropped since he's been barely there all season. Punky J can go, too despite being on for a handful of seasons, she hasn't been memorable.

22. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

23. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I'd say Punky is okay. She can add a bit to sketches, doesn't take away from them but doesn't seem to have a own voice thus far. She's a dependable co-star but I can't recall a skit of her in which she was especially memorable.

24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Exactly and that's why I wouldn't miss her. The show would do well to stop casting look-a-likes, too.