Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jukeboxexpress

jukeboxexpress Forum Resident

Glad I saw this thread, thanks for the heads-up! I just set my DVR. I guess that I can just fastforward through the Alec Baldwin parts.

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Enjoy the commercials. :)

3. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Radiohead.....that was a comedy bit, right??

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Yeah, as the host, I can't think of a skit he wasn't in.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I thought it was a really good episode! Radiohead's set was weird. I don't have their new album yet. I guess I don't need to rush out and get it still. I loved In Rainbows though.

6. theflicker

theflicker Member

I wasn't expecting Staircase. I thought they would perform either Magpie or even Jigsaw or something older as their second performance. I thought they picked two lousy sketches to open the season (All My Children wrap party and oblivious remote news anchor) but rebounded nicely with Who's On Top? and Pedrad's needy child.

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I like her, too, but my favorite is Nasim Pedrad. She finally moved up to a star in the opening credits!

8. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Long overdue. I was very surprised last year when Abby Elliot moved into the starring cast and Nasim Pedrad remained a featured player.

Did Jay Pharaoh even appear in the episode? He seems really talented, but I felt like he barely got any skit time last year, and that pattern might be repeating.

9. That was Bill Hader as Harvey Fierstein, right? Man, between that and Alan Alda he can really nail an impersonation. Baldwin's Pacino was great, too.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

On Jimmy Fallon, Friday night, Alec demonstrated how back in the start of Al's career, he spoke with his teeth clenched, in a higher, nasal tone...then progressed to the lower-registered maniac we all love in Scent Of A Woman. As a huge Pacino fan, I think Alec does the best impersonation I've seen.

11. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

I liked Radiohead's set. IMO they're back at it where they left off before Rainbows, pushing their artist boundaries. I liked what I heard in both tunes. Great performance as well.

I enjoyed this season opener, especially the opening monologue/skit.

Red Flag

12. RandySchimka

RandySchimka Senior Member

It's not like SNL to take a pass on skewering someone in the news, but they sure ignored Tony Bennett's recent 9/11 comments when Alex Baldwin did him during Weekend Update...

I liked the Top Gun screen test the best...

13. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great season kick off last night. Radiohead looked and sounded good.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Hader's the best part of the cast, if you ask me. His impersonations are awesome, and that Italian TV host he plays just slays me every time. It was nice to see Kristin Wiig a little reigned in last night (I like her, but she's usually in every single sketch or close to it), and to see more of Vanessa Bayer, who I really like.

Overall, a pretty strong show, IMO, although I wasn't impressed by Radiohead.

By the way, if ol' Don Pardo makes it three more years, that will be SEVENTY YEARS on the NBC airwaves. Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

15. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Don Pardo is an Icon & I really look forward to his hearing his voice..makes me smile. In the early days he did a few walk-on bits, I belive.

16. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

I wish that it was! They used to be my favorite band for years - now it is sad and painful for me to watch. :(

17. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Only found the Top Gun skit funny.

And the Radiohead tunes... what's the opposite of catchy?

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

For me the highlight was Seth Meyer's mock confusion of Perry's words as his campaign slogan.

19. egor

egor Forum Resident

I can't believe Vanessa Bayer is still a "featured" player. She's gold.

20. Yeah

Yeah Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the show. Very silly and very funny. Alec's Tony Bennett grin was ridiculously wonderful.

21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The rule for the last few years has been that new cast members are featured players for two seasons before being promoted to the main cast. The new season is Vanessa Bayer's second, Nasim Pedrad's third, and Abby Elliott's fourth.

22. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

It was alright. A bit flat, takes a week or two to get their mojos back, but some funny isolated bits here and there. Normally I am not a hater, I watch every weekend when it's new, and have for most of their 40 year run...but I can tell a good show form one that is spotty. Which is simply part of the genre's charm. N
    ever knowing what will work or when.

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought it was very good except for the Radiohead skits and the army one at the end. The Top Gun auditions were great. Really liked the "Red Flag" commercial too.

Every now and then I think maybe I've been missing something with Radiohead. Some people talk about them as if they are one of the greatest bands ever. Then I listen to them or watch them and I'm reassured. I'm not missing anything.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Kristin Wiig is the Queen of SNL. Easy to tell by her prominence.

Alec Baldwin is always reliably funny, and the opening bit with Steve Martin and Seth Rogan was great.

Radiohead is very overrated as a band, though.

Evan

25. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Watched it on DVR last night, very good show. :righton:

I think most of the bits went well, with some minor flops but none of them brutally horrible. The 'Red Flag' ad might be one for the ages. So good! :righton:

Hader continues to impress me, and I agree that Bayer should be a full-time cast member.

One of the sleepers on the cast IMHO is Bobby Moynihan. I just look at him and start laughing. He has some brilliant facial expressions going on, I'm looking forward to watching him develop as time goes on.

I'm into music, lots of indie music too...I can never 'get' Radiohead and on SNL I found them absolutely insufferable. To each his own.

dan c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.