Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I grew to love that core cast but sometimes this kind of thing is a big blessing. Lots of fresh new ideas are allowed to shine and grow. Of course it could also be a drag, we can only wait and see.

I'd bet we won't see a complete meltdown or train wreck like infamous '80-'81 season or even the disastrous season 20 ('94-'95, which was blown up and paved the way for a new golden age). The newer players are already very impressive.

dan c

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

He's one of my newer favorites, along with Taran Killam.
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/bios/taran-killam_37.shtml

dan c

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I definitely agree-it's certainly a lot more competitive, plus there are a lot of great venues for honing your skills (UCB, etc) as an improv than there were 20-30 years ago. Plus, comedians probably don't take as many drugs as they used to...

I would hate to see Hader go-my wife hates him but I think he is funny and a great utility player in the mold of Dan Aykroyd...

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Hader is just guest starring in the Mindy Kaling pilot, along with Ed Helms.

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

My bad, then. The local AM show covered the FOX upfronts this morning and totally led me to believe Hader is IN the series.

6. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I love Hader, but honestly, I can't really comprehend or justify any cast member staying beyond 5 years, unless you're, like, Phil Hartman who was just as incredible at the end of his 8-year run as he was at the beginning. I get that it's a steady paycheck but when people like Fred and Kenan and Darrell Hammond spend a decade or more, especially when they are way past their primes, it just doesn't make any sense to me--plus, Fred already has a gig outside SNL with Portlandia. Why not take a risk on some new blood? Sure, it may not play out well, but at least it would be exciting for a change. There should never be any attitude that, "Oh, the show is really going to suffer without so-and-so"--obviously some cast members would be a greater loss than others, but the atmosphere and attitude and (at its best) unpredictability of SNL should always be the real star.

Belushi had a line about how SNL is like high school--four years is a good length, give or take.

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

8. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree with Yeah. People have been saying that the show was going to be crippled by cast departures since Chevy Chase left. Then the rest of the original cast left, and the show did suffer, and then Eddie Murphy came along. The show has reinvented itself so many times over the years. I had given up on it years ago, and got drawn back over the past year or two when I would tune in specifically to see a certain musical guest that I liked, and found myself really laughing at Wiig, Sudeikis, Hader, Thompson, and the other current cast members. If Wiig and Hader leave, I'll miss them, but I'll keep watching. As I just said, I think that Killam and Bayer and the new blonde girl can step up and be funny, and I'm sure they'll find the next Kristin Wiig as well. They always do.

9. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

10. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I really enjoy watching Taran Killam perform. I always look forward to the new wrinkle in a character that he puts in - he always goes for the funny. I think he is very creative and he commits. His work with Vanessa Bayer is great - the two pseudo-Japanese pop culture lovers is bizarre and hilarious!

11. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Rolling Stone interviews Keith Richards who states he will not be appearing on SNL this weekend. Apparently Mick had agreed to do the show many months ago. Keith says he will probaly watch though.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Just caught the Ferrell ep. The Funkytown Debate had me laughing pretty hard, and I also really liked Hader and Wiig as the Broadway critic couple, and Wiig's character with the oxygen tank during the toast sketch.

13. woody

woody Forum Resident

Mick rocks. I hope I'm as cool at 70.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mick & Jeff Beck...REAL music on SNL !!!!!!! Holy Flashback Batman ! :laugh:

15. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great episode.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Goodbye Kristen...:cry:

17. woody

woody Forum Resident

18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Since they didn't toast Sedakis does that mean he's coming back?

19. About bloody time. The whole sendoff was OTT, but she outgrew SNL a while ago and has just been spinning her tires since Bridesmaids.

20. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Yep. I can't say I'm sad to see her go. And if it's true that Jason and Andy are leaving this year as well (and according to Chris Kattan, who was randomly there at the show tonight, Bill Hader too), it's really tacky that their exits weren't acknowledged. Andy brought a lot more to the show than Kristen did during their stints.

Mick was a surprisingly good host--I kind of thought it'd be like the Rolling Stones-hosted show in 1978, where they only appeared in a few sketches but they utilized him pretty well. He played his character in Secret Word perfectly.

21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm guessing they'll work out a partial season deal with him, to keep his Romney available thru the election.

22. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I thought it was a very sweet tribute to Wiig. Wiig, along with Hader, are the only cast members I really like.

23. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great show tonight. Beck smoked, and good to see Tai back on bass. Have to confess that, at first, I thought she was Waddy Wachtel!

24. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Why was Chris Kattan, Rachel Dracht and Amy Poehler on stage at the end of the show? They pointedly seemed out of place. Ironically, their appearance reminded me of a Harry Potter skit on the episode when Daniel Radcliffe hosted the show a while ago. In it, Harry was an adult who pathetically keeps hanging around Hogwarts school long after he was no reason to be there.

(I did some channel surfing for a few minutes during the show. Did I miss their appearances in a skit?)

I thought "Secret Word" and the karaoke skit were the best of the show. Wiig was great in the "Secret Word" skit.

I didn't understand the point of the political lyriced blues song Beck played on towards the end of the show. Was it suppose to be funny?

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Say what? Samberg did a couple digital shorts that went viral, but SNL practically became the Kristen Wiig Revue. She dominated the show in a way I'm not sure I've ever seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.