Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Melissa was fantastic--the "I could drink a bottle of this salad dressing!" bit would normally make me cringe but she sold it perfectly and I totally lost it.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Hmmm. . . I didn't enjoy this as much as others seem to have. But Weekend Update was good. :)

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

NY Post: Buzz over Eddie Murphy & ‘SNL’

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/buz...oN?utm_campaign=Post10&utm_source=Post10Alpha

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

C-I-L-L...my landlord.

6. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Was Spade even on SNL in 1989? I watched the live show the author is referencing above and I recall is happening sometime in the mid 90's.

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

It was December 9, 1995, when Murphy's current film was Vampire in Brooklyn.

8. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

IIRC The last time SNL had that huge anniversary show, every former cast member showed up except Eddie Murphy and..............I can't remember. Does anyone remember? I seem to recall the performer was not that big but had some beef with the show.

Eddie Murphy appearing on SNL again, even as a walk on, would be fantastic. Say what you will about Joe Piscopo but he and Eddie were in some killer sketches back in the day.

9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I would bet he also was not happy with the "Good Samaritan Eddie Murphy" sketch from 1997. But on the other hand, he was declining to appear on SNL as early as the 15th anniversary show, so I don't know how much his supposed anger at SNL is really a factor.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wasn't Norm McDonald not invited but eventually got in?

11. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

No, I don't think so. Norm, Chevy Chase and Dennis Miller did the news together that show. I'm starting to think it was Jeane Garafolo (spelling?).

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I thought you might mean Jane Curtin.

Dana Carvey didn't show either, but his reason was that he wanted to avoid questions about the malpractice suit he had filed over his then-recent heart surgery.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

After some googling it seems Piscapo was a noteworthy no-show for the 1999 25th show.

14. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

That sounds right.

15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Norm didn't do the news that night but he did a walk on during Chevy and Dennis' news segment. He made a reference to going over to Eddie Murphy's house to watch the show.

16. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Thanks. I remember taping the show as I watched it, and likely have not watched it since. Been eleven years, I should pull it out to watch when I get the time (which I usually don't have much of).

17. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Last night, Bill Hader played a good 'Clint Eastwood' character.

18. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I thought that was the best thing of the night.

Also, I loved Ben Stiller's take on Bruce Springsteen in the fake commercial.

Where can I buy "Bruce Springsteen - Just The Stories" box set? ;)

19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That was the highlight for me, too. But were they consciously parodying this?

Attached Files:

20. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Supposedly, Eddie has burried the hatched with David Spade, according to Chris Rock.

21. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Yeah, a not very funny show, but the Eastwood was great! I was thinking, "Why hasn't he done this impersonation before?"

22. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Stiller did a great job. It looked like he was really enjoying himself hosting. I wonder if he wrote some of the sketches?

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I imagine he had a hand in it, especially the Zoolander character during Weekend News.

24. Yeah, an iffy episode overall, but the Springsteen bit and Hader's Eastwood were good - Hader is really the go-to guy these days, isn't he?

Also, I'm not too old to appreciate Foster The People: liked the performance of "Pumped-Up Kicks" - a pretty bouncy, upbeat performance for a tune about a school shooting, but nevermind - but the second song, not so much, owing in no small part to Kenny G and his lame, jive, f'd-up, pseudo-bluesy, out-of-tune wailing!

25. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

How common is HGH in Hollywood?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.