Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2011-2012 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Geeez, I couldn't disagree more, I thought this was the best season in years...

2. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

Andy Samberg may not bring much to sketches, but the Digital Shorts are about the only consistently funny thing on the show anymore. And his "Get in the Cage" bits on Weekend Update are hilarious.

3. I've said that several times in this thread. A very solid year, start to finish.

4. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Those shorts were entertaining at first, but now it's just becoming boring.

At this rate, it doesn't look like there's much he can do in the entertainment world.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The "Get in the Cage" where the real Nick Cage showed up was hilarious.

6. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

I don't think anyone's debating the merits of recurring characters. And I don't even think they've gone as overboard in recent years as they did in, say, the early 90s. What bothers me are the recurring sketches that seem to take place in a vacuum, where the same characters from previous installments seem to have their memories wiped each time the sketch is used. You have to either change the situation or change the reactions. Belushi's Samurai is a great example of a character that was completely repetitive and unshifting (unless you count the time when he spoke English in the Richard Pryor sketch), but they at least gave it a new setting each time.

And yes, I fully admit that it's much easier to criticize watching on a weekly basis in real-time rather than working on memories or DVD highlights. But I also think it's easy for both the writers and the audience to say, "Well, this was funny the first time, so let's not change anything." And I love SNL too much to ever want to become complacent about it.

7. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I liked the season ender, Mick, the music and the cast and KW was great, but the KW send off, as good as it was, seemed to be like the typical "look at me" high school type stuff. It was like a live version of Facebook.

At least when Tina left the show..or was it Fallon, the final skit was very collaborative and well done. I'm talking about the "Grease" skit.

8. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

What an interesting analogy.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Bill Hader's on Fallon...

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

He just repeated this...

11. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

12. -Alan