Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2012-2013 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Joking? Seriously can't tell. Are you seriously suggesting Paul Simon is edgy?

Three good choices for musical acts. If you don't think so, and this'll sound rude, you're old and out of touch with the popular music of today. SNL isn't about "out there/obscure/edgy" music. In the cases of Muse and Mumford & Sons, they're right on the cusp of being absolute superstars in the US, but just outside of that. In the UK, they're massive stars. Frank Ocean I know is big, but I'm not into r&b so I really can't say where he stands - I just know he's a "name".

2. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

A joke, of course. (Hard to pull of sarcasm through text!) He's practically attached to Lorne Michaels...

I think a lot of the music guests last year were pretty featherweight. One Direction? Karmin?

3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I think some of you need to realize that leaving Saturday Night Live does not always mean leaving Saturday Night Live. How many times did Tina Fey come back to do Sarah Palin? How about Darrell Hammond or Maya Rudolph?

If Jason Sudekis leaves, he could still come back to do Mitt Romney. Abby Elliott could still come back to do Zooey Deschanel. Same for Adam Samberg and Kristen Wiig. These former cast members could all contribute to the upcoming season.

No reason to think the upcoming season could not be as good as the last ones.

4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

That's one of my big problems with SNL...they keep dragging back the old people. How many times is Amy Poehler going to appear years after she 'left"? I guess Lorne Michaels must have them on a short leash. If I was a cast member I would hate it-like having the prom queen who graduated 4 years ago show up and star in the school play.

5. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I dunno....1D was on before they really blew up this summer (in the US).

6. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Yeah, but there's a big difference between coming back to do an impersonation a couple times a year and being a regular cast member that's involved in a good portion of every show.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I agree, they are a bore. I tend to zone out during the Obama cold openings. I almost want him to lose the election just so SNL can reinvigorate their presidential skits making fun of Romney. :D

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You'd think nobody ever left the cast of SNL before, the way people are worrying about Wiig and Samberg leaving.

They've had years where the entire cast has been replaced!

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Exactly.

And they have a deep roster right now that should be able to pick up where others left off and do just fine.

10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

They'd do worse than to replace the entire current one IMHO...some of these people have been on the better part of a decade. I think the show needs to renenergize itself more often and get rid of the familiar faces i.e. people like Fred and Keenan who have been on forever mostly because they never were in hit movies or anything. Hopefully Vanessa Bayer and the late season female cast member they added will get some good facetime now that Wiig is gone (she drove me crazy personally)

11. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

The skits where he turned into The Rock Obama and tossed congressmen out the window were funny.

12. They also had Sleigh Bells, who were one of the more abrasive acts they've had on in a while (and were also the first act whose album I bought based on and SNL appearance since The Replacements in 1986).

It's almost as if they're afraid to really let loose on Obama - like maybe they won't get invited to the right parties anymore if they're too cutting, or are afraid of inviting even more spurious charges of "racism!" than they already get because Armisen is the one portraying him (even though Armisen bears a closer physical resemblance to Obama than anyone else on the cast). Oh well.

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Karmin were indeed featherweight, but I kind of liked them anyway.

14. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

‘SNL’ adds 2 more

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/snl_adds_more_V7uOcHqoOU60gM2oSYUlUK#ixzz264QSQPXH

15. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

They ought to just rename "Second City" to "The SNL Farm Team".

16. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

When does the new season kick-off?

17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

^

This Saturday.

18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm glad that Bayer and Killam are getting promoted, although it was pretty obvious that they would be.

19. theseer2

theseer2 Formerly foghorn2

I would love to see a post Convention skit where the two couples are at a social meeting, acting their stereo type- O' being a Muslim and R' being a Mormon - find common ground and swap wives. We will need to see them kissing while Clinton is observing the whole thing with devilish facial expression.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That could be funny. Wait, see who kissing? Mitt and Barack? I dunno, SNL seems pretty shy about having men kiss. Never happen. The new blonde girl could do Anne Romney. Who plays Michelle, Jay in drag? Maybe Maya Rudolph is in town.

21. agentalbert

This article says there are THREE new cast members, sorry "featured players" - Cecily Strong in addition the the earlier mentioned Aidy Bryant and Tim Robinson.

22. Except for the series of skits where the family members kiss each other continually. And when Ian McKellen (in drag) shoved his tongue down Jimmy Fallon's throat.

23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

So is Jason Sudeikis still on the show? Maybe Romney's nomination bought him another SNL season-personally I like him a lot...

24. Nah, sounds like a job for Kenan Thompson (that would be the guy on the right for those who've been in a cave the past few years :) )...

[​IMG]

25. agentalbert

And too many more to count. I know. I was kidding. They think its hilarious to have dudes kiss. Often, that alone is the punchline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.