Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2012-2013 Season thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Re-watched this morning, and it was actually a pretty solid show. Nothing spectacular, but no awful duds either. The Stormy Skies bit didn't do much for me, but I did really like the Al Pacino Murder Bio-Pic series and the last bit with Vince and Kate at last call in the bar. The Tesh brothers bit wasn't bad either.

2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

sorry it isn't ,the opening wasn't funny and neither was Vince's opening,very unfunny!! the thing with AL Pacino was OK but other than that funny punk short,the show was pretty luke warm

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Ian Rubbish. :D

Dan C likes this.
  4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Wrong, wrong, and... wrong.

The gun law opening was razor-sharp and on-target.

Vince's monologue was one of the best in ages, and seemed largely improv-ed. Definitely, he was channeling his Swingers persona. It was not unfunny, or too long -- just the opposite!!!!

The stand-out skits were hilarious -- especially Rich guy at the prom, Margaret Thatcher, and the two drunks at closing time.

The news was a bit lukewarm, unusually, and Kate seemed to miss the mark with the Monkey Woman. But, LL Cool J & Brad Paisley were big laugh-getters in my household.

Miquel was absolutely awful -- he seemed to be trying to channel Marvin Gaye, but Marvin had lyrics -- Miquel only has "Baby, baby, ooooh, Baby" while his band riffed sub-par rhythms that could be outclassed by any indie band out there. Not just terrible, but insulting.

But, the rest of the show was pretty spot-on. I was laughing, and you are never going to convince me that I was laughing in error.

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Monkey Woman wasn't quite as funny as Russian Peasant Woman a few weeks ago, but Kate McKinnon is funny. Love her stuff on this show.

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Geez...was I watching the same episode? Other than the opening being mildly amusing, I thought the entire episode absolutely stunk. Update was even terrible IMO. Actors are solid....the material isn't.

7. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm with you. And I liked Miguel. :shrug:

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yup! :righton: The writing, acting and entire execution were all brilliant. They even nailed that distinctive video look during the TV appearances. Special props to Moynihan as the quintessential stuffy BBC host. What is truly amazing is it offered a complex and nuanced view of Thatcher while remaining very funny. I was in awe when it was finished.

That bit was one hell of a highlight. The rest of the show was average in comparison. Liked the cold opening on gun control, liked the short term memory loss bit quite a lot. Weekend Update was pretty good. Otherwise, most of the material was OK but not necessarily memorable.

Oh, and since we were watching on DVR on Sunday we skipped right over that Miguel guy after a minute or so. I like showmanship and all, but he just came across as such a ridiculous tool. He seems talented though, but it just didn't capture me at all.

dan c

9. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Show was OK, the "musical guest" Miguel , .all style, no substance. Song arrangements were all over the map (especially #2)
    Wish the SNL talent booker would do a better job. That was pitiful.

10. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

I do like Miguel's new album. It is modern R&B/pop, but nothing like the processed R&B/pop that turns off most people on this forum. It's even kinda psychedelic. He has a cool falsetto, too.

I've seen Miguel perform on other late night talk shows, and his band plays totally unlike the album. It's like they're touring with Jeff Beck in the 1970s.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Liked the opening, the monologue (including the callback at the closing where VV returns the guy's phone), the Pacino plays murderers promo, the "Stormy Skies" Weather Channel soap opera, Ian Rubbish, and the News. Actively disliked the rich guy at the Junior High Prom and the two wackos at the bar sketches.

12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Rich Guy at Prom was pretty bad. At first I thought it was going to be another episode of Jay Pharaoh's recurring bit where he plays the principal with the catchphrase "Attention teachers and stooooooo-dents." A lot of viewers of this show seem to be upset when every single sketch isn't brilliant. I can deal with a few duds to catch high points like the Al Pacino Plays Murderers bit, the Ian Rubbish sketch, which was really well done (it's obvious from past sketches, and his old credits bit where he's thumbing through Jam and Sex Pistols records, than Armisen is a huge punk fan) and Monkey Woman.

13. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I kind of dug what his band were doing , just thought he sounded like a vast host of other similar folks. And the second song was going in too many directions at the same time for me to enjoy much.

14. My fave along these lines was the "Crisis of Conformity" sketch - for those who haven't seen it, Armisen plays a guy who gets his old band together to play at his daughter's wedding; said band turns out to be a hardcore punk act and they do a song similar to "Institutionalized" by Suicidal Tendencies. Chaos ensues.

15. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Armisen was briefly married to Sally Timms of the Mekons, so he was definitely on the scene at one time, even if he isn't now.

16. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

So wait...you actually liked Monkey Woman?

17. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Yep.

18. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Last three shows of the season:

May 4: Zach Galifianakis / Of Monsters And Men
    May 11: Kristen Wiig / Vampire Weekend
    May 18: Ben Affleck / Kanye West

19. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Zach will be good, Kristen might be good IF she doesn't trot out her old characters. Affleck is a weak note to end Lorne's last season on.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought Zach's monologue was pretty funny.

"I'm Zach Galifianakis....Don't get your hopes up."

"Here's something you never see in braile...If you see something, say something." Ha!

Game Of Game Of Thrones was pretty good. Loved Zach's dragon costume.

The match.com sketch with Martha Stewart didn't really work for me. I love Kate McKinnon, but her Martha just made me with Ana Gasteyer was there.

21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I liked the Jennifer Anniston look-a-like competition and the M&M apology thing. I like Zach so I was a little more patient with this episode than I would have been with somebody else.

Looking forward to Wiig. Don't care if it's a "greatest hits" show or not.

22. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Get ready for Gilly sketches and Target Lady.

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I thought the Game Of Game Of Thrones was hilarious.

The monologue was typical Zach, but I think his monologues from the previous times he hosted were better.

I thought that was his best bit from the monologue!

Same here!

I too thought the Jennifer Aniston look-a-like contest was funny, especially after Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms made an appearance.

I didn't care for the music this week.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Really enjoyed it tonight, but I am a big Kristin Wigg fan too.

25. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Very funny show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.