Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Kenan is 100 pounds too heavy to play Obama. And I don't think he'd be good at impersonating him anyway.

I think Lorne has decided Kenan has earned the right to decide when he leaves, which apparently will be never.

2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

They can probably get by without anyone doing Obama. They have Kate and Darrell doing the candidates and that is probably all they need.

Jrr likes this.
  3. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought Kenan announced he was leaving last season and that was why he was given a job on "Maya & Marty". Maybe I misremember that.

4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

M&M was just a summer series it doesn't interfere with SNL's shooting schedule at this point.

OldSoul likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

True. It is what he is known for, though I think he's done better work. I like when he and Kyle are paired together in those goofy digital short style pieces that Kyle probably writes. I think I read its (the baby) the character he did in audition that landed him the gig. It was okay once, but I don't think it should have been repeated. And repeated. And repeated.

tonyc likes this.
  6. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

They'll just have Fred come back and play the role of President Obama again. He's always hanging around anyways.

Please have Vanessa Bayer play Chelsea Clinton. They look like sisters.

7. agentalbert

I definitely agree on Sasheer being under utilized. She's almost always given the straight character to play. Since she's black and she was hired when SNL had to hire a black women quickly due to criticism, she'll probably never be seen as anything other if they continue to use her the way they do. Which is too bad. So what if she plays token normal women in sketches? Does she have to be a Leslie Jones type just because she's black? I do wish they would do more with her though, and not just loud brash characters.

As for memorable portrayals, I actually don't remember her doing either of the two you mentioned, but maybe they were only once.

8. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't want her to be like Leslie Jones I just want her to have some sort of characters. She doesn't have any. Before she got on SNL she used to do a great Beyonce character that we haven't really seen.

9. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Bayer is so under appreciated...makes the best of even sub-par material.

Jrr and agentalbert like this.
  10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

She has that funny sketch where she has the YouTube show where she dances and Kyle can't control himself. That's about it, though.

Deano6 likes this.
  11. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Laura Parsons the teen news correspondent is pretty hilarious.

Wow she has been on the show six years now too.

agentalbert and Jrr like this.
  12. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Without serious upgrades in the writers' room, re-arranging the players means little.

goodiesguy, Matthew Tate, Jrr and 7 others like this.
  13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Matthew Tate, Jrr and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I would only be shocked if they got rid of Kate McKinnon or Kenan Thompson, who is apparently going for Don Pardo's record-everyone else seems expendable. Surprised Killam was let go.

16. agentalbert

If we're talking about Kenan, I agree. I won't miss Jay, but I'd definitely miss Kenan if he were gone. I can never get my fill of "Willie" the most optimistic man in the world.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Exactly what I was going to post until I saw your's and am surprised it took that many posts for amyone to say it. The actors are useless without good writing. I would have hired almost all new, fresh writers (and maybe Lorne did) before I would have monkied around with the actors who, for the most part, really haven't been the problem imo. There can't be breakout actors without some breakout material. And I agree Vanessa makes the most of mediocre material, as a few others do as well. And I totally agree about Keenan...he is terrific. A lot of people don't like his work and I don't know why. He consistently makes me laugh, even if the material sucks. Just put his over the top grin up on the screen and I'm probably in.

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

This has been stated many times before. Thanks for emphasizing it again though. Unless there writers who can offer the funny, the comedians are only as good as the material. It's been hit or miss since Tina Fey left as head writer. There's nothing solid.

Try Group A writers with Group B and Group C. Then bring the best writers together and go with them for the show. They should have been doing this all summer. Of course the great ones, John Belushi and the others throughout the years had their own characters ready to go and could be funny every week. How did Sid Caesar get those unknown writers (to whatever extent) to write the comedy the did back in the 50s-60s?

19. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes, it has been stated many times before. And I think it is rather obvious the last few seasons there is a group of writers who want the show to be safe and have game show skits and other things that may have mass appeal regardless of how funny that might be. And there is another group of writers, Kyle Mooney among them, who want the show to go as far out as possible and appeal to only those who respect their creativity. You can tell what weeks which group wins as far as getting the most skits on the air. And it makes for inconsistency. But, every once in a while the best of both groups contribute and along with the right guest host, and a thoughtful take on what happened in the news of the week, that is when you get a great show.

goodiesguy and OldSoul like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup....every time I give up on this show they get the right guest and pick the right skits and it's pure gold! So much potential. The prospect of that makes it interesting to watch every week. Thank goodness for DVR's and the fast forward button.

goodiesguy, OldSoul and tonyc like this.
  21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

23. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Jrr, zebop and OldSoul like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.