Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heee, once again Alex Baldwin delivers the goods.

stereoptic, g.z., JL7 and 4 others like this.
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Sounded JUST LIKE Trump.

I thought there was supposed to be 30% less commercials this season. What happened?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I thought they killed it for the most part compared to most recent episodes. NO lazy writing, only a couple skits were marginal but it wasn't due to a lack of effort imo. Some really funny and creative skits. Very clever, I thought, with the first skit and the geeky guy married to Margot. Great use of the cast on that one. Very funny and it just got better as the segment went along. I found myself laughing out loud a lot! You could really tell there were a lot of new writers on board. Looking forward to next week. I do sometimes wonder why they bother with musical guests though. But at 55 I doubt I'm the demo for that segment.

TeacFan likes this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man I love my Tivo! Push one button and you skip all the commercials!

5. OldSoul

I can't watch SNL recorded. Just doesn't feel right. I want it to be as live as possible.

stereoptic, Jrr and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Deesky, MikaelaArsenault and Jrr like this.
  7. Yeah, I'll watch it recorded if I have to but it feels like cheating.

stereoptic likes this.
  8. Anyway: maybe not an episode for the ages, but a solid opener that bodes well for the season. Here's hoping for better musical guests, though.

jupiter8, JL7, Jrr and 1 other person like this.
  9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Baldwin was good. Nailed Trump's idiosynchrosies.

MikaelaArsenault and Jrr like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I totally get that. My compromise is that I try and watch it about 45 min after it has started. I agree...it just feels different Monday at 3!

OldSoul likes this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I am surprised there isn't more posts about last night! I thought it was great.

OldSoul likes this.
  12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Excellent season opener. The entire cast brought it, as did Margot.
    Too many good moments & lines to mention. Hope they keep it up.

Jrr likes this.
  13. Monosterio

I agree it was a really strong show last night. Let's see what happens next week -- I have no idea who that host is.

Jrr likes this.
  14. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Margot Robbie's skit as the "hot" teacher with the "horny" students was funny. I laughed my ass off as it progressed.

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Margot Robbie is going to draw viewers. I think it was a good season opener, but how many weeks can they have the stars showing up weekly? I can see until the election, but it'll be old after that. I'm hoping new characters are being developed.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Me neither. Usually (lately) I know the host, but not the music act. I think next week is the first time I've been completely clueless about both.

That was good, though it was pretty much a re-hash of the bit they used to do with Kristen Wiig.

17. OldSoul

I don't know how you can't know Lin-Manuel Miranda, or, at the very least, the musical Hamilton, which he wrote and starred in.

jupiter8 likes this.
  18. Monosterio

Yep, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Twenty One Pilots. Never heard of either before, but I just looked up Miranda and he's really big on Broadway, creating and acting in Hamilton and In the Heights.

19. Monosterio

What can I tell you? I didn't know him until I looked him up just now. I'm really out of touch in my old age. (Musically, I'm really, really out of it. I've started getting more in touch in the last year or two.)

20. OldSoul

I haven't listened to Hamilton, but it's almost inescapable in terms of pop culture references, I feel like.

21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is also the new character Cecily Strong debuted last night.

[​IMG]

22. Monosterio

Oh, I've heard there's a hugely successful musical called Hamilton. I just didn't know anything else about it. :)

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  23. Same here. Unfortunately though, I do have some familiarity with 21 Pilots.

24. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Baldwin is currently the host and co-producer of the reboot of "The Match Game" on ABC.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've heard of the musical Hamilton, and know its a rap musical about Alexander Hamilton. That's the extent of my knowledge. I don't follow the broadway musical scene, so I'd never heard of the guy before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.