Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

So much for the theory that comedy = tragedy + time.....

D.D.

2. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

A Friday's skit I think of is the one parodying Steven Segal with him touting his new movie filmed is super ultimate wide screen. Then they show an image that goes across the screen, but takes up just 20% of the image, showing all kinds of action going on in 5 different rooms, or something like that...

I think the goal for the Weinstein thing is not to try and make the jokes about rape, but to joke about things he did that were not rape. I think there's enough of that to joke about.

One of the Seth Meyers Late night talk show, his female writers were able to do that about the Weinstein incident with NY TV reporter Lauren Sivan. The punch line was "And then the plant got a three-picture deal."

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    kevywevy, agentalbert and Jrr like this.
  3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

im 80 percent sure have the offended masses (the twitterverse) had to google to see exactly what they were offended about

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That had to be some other show - maybe "In Living Color"? - or someone other than Seagal because "Fridays" pre-dated his career. Seagal didn't make his first movie until 1987 and "Fridays" was off the air by 1982...

Zep Fan, Matthew Tate and artfromtex like this.
  5. Zep Fan

Thanks...

I still know that the Beatles were a band of the 60's (mostly), and Led Zeppelin were a band of the 70's (mostly), and that Van Halen were a band of 80's (mostly), and White Zombie was a band of the 90's (mostly).

Beyond that ... it gets a little dicey ... :)

Oatsdad likes this.
  6. Does this DVD have their 3 stooges sketches? I liked those at the time and still think Larry David makes a convincing updated Larry Fine.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My guess would be that it was Mad TV.

A quick search... yes, it was Mad TV:

anthontherun, Zep Fan and Oatsdad like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good call - I forgot that show existed! :hide:

zebop and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Really interested to see how they handle the Louie CK situation tonight considering he is a friend of the show.

OldSoul likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Man tonight was pretty awful imo. But the monologue was the first one in I don't know when that was good enough I didn't skip over it...she had a lot of enrtgy! A couple okay skits (The video game one was quite creative...could have been a lot funnier but it was still good), and Swift was fine (I think I will actually buy the album as it sounds like she is changing it up a bit) but a yawner overall for me. Hope others enjoyed it more.

11. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I haven't watched much of this season, I have a strong dislike for having politics I don't care for shoved in my face...although I thought Melissa McCarthy's Sean skit's were halar!! And Dave Chappel doing Negan from 'The Walking Dead' skit was off the chain funny!

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope, there were no highlights for me. If I had to pick something, it would be the DNC skit, but nothing to write home about...

Jrr likes this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I only saw about 1/3 of the show, but the DNC/Cuban For President skit stood out to me and I thought it was pretty funny. I liked the dig at Larry David's Holocaust humor from the week before.

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Was an okay episode.What's up with Taylor? Her legs looked thicker and her face puffier and she sure wore baggy clothes. . . .

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

She's not 16 anymore. I don't pay that much attention to her, but saw one of the performances, and she looked the same as she always does to me.

Jrr likes this.
  16. Lonson

Okay. . . looks different to me. Maybe even better. . . but different. My wife wonders if she's expecting, but that's not my impression.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The Cuban ad and Clare from HR had me rolling. Above average episode for me. Nice cameo by jason sudeikis as Joe Biden.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

19. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

bartels76 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. Zep Fan

Just a quick mention in passing like they did for Harvey W.

The real low hanging fruit is Kevin Spacey and the allegations against him from teens.

But instead, SNL went for Roy Moore because for them, I guess politics trumps everything.

But I would do the same if the show was on the other foot.

The best laugh of the night for me was when Roy Moore asked VP Pence "can we take this one to the boss?" And Pence's reply was "Oh no, we're taking this to Putin." :p

The Weekend Update bit about Ball's $750,000 shoes was not funny. It was ridiculous, but in a bad way.

MikaelaArsenault and rburly like this.
  21. Lonson

What "Pence" actually said was "Sorry, I'm not going to call Vladimir Putin about this."

Zep Fan likes this.
  22. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

The host's monologue was way over the top. I guess the bit about re-wearing the dress was kind of funny, but eh...

It's hard to believe that Taylor Swift started as straight-up country. And yes, I thought her legs looked a lot more filled out.

23. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Hard to believe they whiffed the opening. Putin's in charge? That's fresh. Roy Moore should be comedy gold. But the whole news segment was brilliant and TS was terrif. I love the fact that I can catch SNL at 8:30 and there is plenty of time to head out to the clubs. (I don't go to clubs.)

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Only watched the opening skit(not bad, funny in parts...Putin line excellent), the monologue(other then the dress lines, kinda boring) and the first TS song(meh, but I'm a 60 year old guy so obviously not designed for me...the wife liked it).

25. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've been wondering the same thing about Cecily Strong. She used to be really thin, but seems to
    be getting bigger each week. Pregnant?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.