Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

She's looked like she is since I've seen her. Beautiful face, but carrying a little too much weight. Not shaming, just an observation.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I saw King Crimson last week and thought exactly the same thing about Robert Fripp.

3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Have they changed Kate McKinnon's dental prosthetic used in her role as "Jeff Sessions"?

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I thought the Chance the Rapper episode was alright despite “serious” Eminem.

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I thought Eminem was the highlight of the episode. When they slid into "Stan" I gulped a little. Guy's still got it.
    Pete Davidson, next to Kate McKinnon, is probably my favorite player right now. His bits on Update are usually the best things on the show, and this week's Staten Island dis session was hilarious. And who knew Chance The Rapper had these comedic chops (his Steve Harvey impression was spot on).

6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I've been trying to remember the bit that gave me belly laughs and it was the Staten Island skit. It was extremely funny imo.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

A pretty ordinary episode with the Weekend Update segment being the best. But I did discover one thing that Kate McKinnon can't do - an Aussie accent! Her Sessions is always a hoot though.

8. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

...I was kinda thinking...what if a final episode was produced? If the show is indeed headed in the direction it is heading, who would you choose to end the series? My choice for host would be Buck Henry. Fitting, wouldn’t it?

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm not really sure how that would go.
    [​IMG]

zebop likes this.
  10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

She did her awful Aussie accent in the recent movie "Rough Night". It's not worth watching, imo.

11. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I really don’t think it’s going anywhere. Solid ratings and Emmy’s seldom beget cancellation.

And, no, Buck Henry would be a very bad idea.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

What direction is it headed? Last thing I read is that Saturday Night Live has the best ratings it has in years. I've been watching the show since Season 1. The percentage of Great sketches vs. so-so is pretty much the same as it ever was IMO. Each season has it's share of solid shows. The big difference in the more recent seasons is the number of recorded sketches is much higher than the old days.

DeeThomaz, keef00 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Coming up:

12/2: Saoirse Ronan / U2

12/9: James Franco / SZA

12/16: Kevin Hart / Foo Fighters

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

They should do the entire episode with him playing twins.

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

16. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

17. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

Obviously not the greatest choice to host this year’s Christmas show. SNL could have chosen a better host for it. Either stars are turning down the Big S or they’re just too good for it. The downward spiral continues.

rburly likes this.
  18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Saoirse is a two-time Oscar nominee who's currently starring in one of the most critically acclaimed movies on the year, and is almost a shoe-in for a third nomination. Franco is currently in a hit HBO show, as well as another highly acclaimed movie opening wide this weekend (The Disaster Artist), and Hart is one of the highest-paid comedian in the world right now. I wouldn't really call that a "downward spiral." Not sure who you think should be hosting instead?

stereoptic, chacha and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. deepscan

deepscan Active Member

One key choice would have been Tom Hanks....he has a movie that will be coming out over the live break during the mid season point. There are others too numerous to name.

20. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Kevin Hart is one of the biggest comedians/movie stars in the world right now. How is this not an excellent choice?

21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

As much as I love Hanks, he's a rather predictable/safe choice at this point - he's hosted 9 times already, and was just on roughly a year ago, and just voiced the "David S. Pumpkins" animated special last month, and did a cameo earlier this year with Dwayne Johnson.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. agentalbert

Billy Infinity and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. agentalbert

I agree. Enough of Hanks for awhile. I'm really looking forward to Saoirse Ronan and U2. That's the most exciting host/band combo I've seen in awhile. I have no idea what SZA is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

What "downward spiral" are you talking about? When did that start?

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

SZA is a female singer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.