Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

That was the best episode of the season, from the cold open to Childish Gambino's performances (seriously, I'm buying that CG album). They released the "This Is America" video right after the show, and let's just say they couldn't replicate everything from the video-when you see it you'll know I mean (it will be very controversial), but that is an awesome song.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I've watched the video like four times since last night. Pretty incredible.

The band in Childish Gambino's first song was crazy talented, and the live mix was one of the best I've heard on SNL. The bass player's work really stood out, but he was hidden way in the back to the right and I could barely see him play. My only complaint...

dan c

Splungeworthy likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

5. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

6. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

There could have been a lot more that CG did with that song to get the message across. Watching the real video will be shocking and controversial for people living under a rock, but it could have been even more pointed. As for the song, if the lyrics were taken off it, I didn't hear anything groundbreaking with it.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The season finale for 2012 featured Mick Jagger as the solo musical guest (as well as host), but he was backed by Arcade Fire. How does that figure into your streak calculations. :laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Donald Glover is crazy talented...he really elevated that episode. If you don't know his music you should.

Billy Infinity and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Involving squirrels or cornflakes?

10. Silly rabbits.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Squirrels! "It's your world - I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut"* is a staple - and one that once got me in "trouble" with a date.

Don't remember the specific interchange, but IIRC, it was a situation where she expressed her preference for a particular restaurant - I agreed and added the "squirrel" line.

She got offended because she thought I'd made a sexual comment! I had to explain that I was just quoting the song and the remark enjoyed no naughty connotation! :laugh:

(Yeah, I realize this reverses the pronouns of the original - it's still my preferred usage! :D)

bekayne, OldSoul and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Gotta make sure your date is hip - these musical references can get us in trouble otherwise!

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Well, this date did take place in 1995, so it's not like the song was a hit at the time! :D

I didn't really expect her to get the reference. Citing one long in a minor hit from 9 years earlier - and slightly misquoting it to boot - isn't a recipe for recognition.

I just honestly never anticipated she'd interpret the line as sexual innuendo! I see her take on it but it'd never occurred to me to read the line that way! :shrug:

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

1995? So the restraining order is almost certainly expired by now, right. :laugh:

15. Oatsdad

Getting close! :righton:

I honestly barely remember this woman - other than she was pretty attractive and I was disappointed we only had 2 dates!

Ken_McAlinden likes this.
  16. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

This was a pretty good episode with Donald Glover.

1)Cold opening was rapid fire with a lot of cameos. Could have been better with a little more rehearsal to tighten up the editing but still good.
    2)The Jurassic lawyer sketch was good.
    3)The Migos therapy session was well executed.
    4)The Oran Juice Jones parody was good.

Everything else was 'a--ighht" but it's free and I laughed.

17. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I adore Melissa McCarthy. That was so funny.

JerolW likes this.
  18. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

[Moderator Note - Comment that resulted in political sidetrack removed]

When I started watching SNL in '75 I was a Sophomore in college, and I thought that was SNL's target audience, for a long time.

I would say that besides college students, SNL has now evolved to include HS Sophomores as part of their target audience, if not 7th graders...

Do they use a laugh track on SNL? Some of the laughing I heard during the too-long Weekend Update segment of the High School Movie Reviewer sounded canned.

There's funny, and there's stupid funny. There's too much of the later now, but I guess it plays well to whatever NBC thinks is the demo for the timeslot.

bababooey and Jrr like this.
  19. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Yeah, it was.

jerol

20. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

They're very capable of brilliance with the cast and the writers.

Jrr likes this.
  21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Not a whole lot of politics last night. Not necessarily a bad thing.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Let's not forget there was some jaw dropping bad stuff from the Not Ready for Prime Time players. That's SNL. I'm no longer in the target audience anymore, but I still tune in every week. Update should stick to the news style jokes format, and leave the guest characters for the skits i.m.o., though there have been a couple over the last 5 or so years that I thought were good.

Jrr likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Absolutely...I think the cast has been absolutely fantastic for many, many years actually. I love the Wigg/Hader days and was sad to see them all go, though there are a lot of people here that despised Wigg so I guess she wasn't everyone's cup of tea. They are really hamstrung by the writing, as is any actor. I can't imagine being involved in comedy. For viewers, twice is about how many times something is typically funny in short term viewing. Imagine doing something repeatedly in development/rehearsal. You wouldn't even know anymore whether you have something or not. I imagine there is some sort of protocol for that in place. I would hate to be on the show knowing that what I was acting was really lame! Must be a very difficult job at times. I love McCarthy and will watch the episode in the next few days...I'm sure I'll find some of it funny. I supposed a lot of my issue is I don't even know some of the guests, and that's certainly not the fault of SNL!

24. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

GREAT season finale. Highlight for me was the Morning Joe sketch--I'd been wondering, recently, if they'd do that again.

Dan C, MikaelaArsenault and DaveySR like this.
  25. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

The Morning Joe bit was spot on. The only stretches were the face to face sexual innuendos, otherwise it was exactly like the show!:laugh:

OldSoul likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.