Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The Claire Foy episode was pretty solid all the way through. "Morning Joe" was hilarious. Also really liked:

- Good Morning Goomah
    - The War In Words
    - Home Shopping Network

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Pretty uninspired episode. The elf on the shelf sketch killed me. Im not a Game Of Thrones watcher so I stood stone faced during that particular one. The “Them Trumps” spoof of Empire I also thought worked pretty well.

Overall it ranks in the bottom half of the season for me; which isn’t saying much.

3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

This week was weak. Robert De Niro may be a great actor but he’s the world’s worst teleprompter reader. There was one bit I liked but after the parade of misfires that followed it I can’t remember what it was!

Edit: the pretaped bit about appliances designed for men was pretty funny. And “Them Trumps” had moments.

4. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

I liked this weeks episode better, than the last one. GE Big Boys, Rudolph's Big Night and First Impression were pretty good. Very nice to see that they give Melissa bigger parts, she's always charming.

kevywevy, MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  5. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The celebrities in the cold open have gotten very old. DeNiro was no exception.

6. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Definitely agree about De Niro. Cringeworthy every time.

7. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

The Aqua Boogie monologue bit was a low point for me this weekend. They had to explain the entire premise to the audience just to get nothing funny out of it.

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah, the "Elf on the Shelf" bit was really good. Laugh-out-loud good. "Please Santa, can I have another kid?" It's going to be a classic.

The GE appliance ad for men was up there as well. Two big highlights in an otherwise forgettable episode.

Best part of the entire episode was Momoa's dedication and comic skills. Hope he gets to host again, but with more consistent material.

dan c

9. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

And the song the SHOULD HAVE done was of course Ocean Man by Ween. It's fit perfectly and gotten some Internet buzz.

And they were dressed much more like the Jackson 5 than Parliament.

MikaelaArsenault and matthew2600 like this.
  10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Very good episode tonight

11. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

The Weezer sketch was AWESOME!! Loved the intricate attention to detail.

Shawn, tingly, Dan C and 6 others like this.
  12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Possibly the best episode of the season.
    Glad they let us see Prte was okay.

13. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

nice to see Sean Lennon up there with Miley for "Happy Xmas"...

14. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

15. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I think most of the hosts this year have done the best they could with the bad writing they've been handed.

Not to sound like Scrooge, but I'm glad last night was the last new episode of December, because I'm getting burned out on Christmas-related sketches.

The "Oscar host auditions" sketch was probably funny, but I only recognized about half the celebs they were imitating. And I'm usually good about knowing who someone is, even if I don't like them or watch their movies. I must be getting old.

But damn I'm enjoying Cecily Strong's thickness. There was a moment last night where they showed she was in a relatively short skirt but then it unfortunately panned up. I think it was the Oscars sketch. And last week when she was playing that British "Gemma" girl...those thighs...

Jimbo62 and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

umm yes. more of that please

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Oh! Drink my blood! Cecily is just a big boned gal. She has the classic full bodied figure of uh...er...uh...Oh forget it! She's getting fat. Why lie.

seed_drill and sixtiesstereo like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hey man, come on

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  19. Tim Lookingbill

I do love Cecily's Gemma girl. Just wish she'ld do more of that character. How she can riff on that accent is just genius.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Watched it on DVR today. It was a near-perfect episode. There were real heartfelt moments among the laughter as well (the prerecorded bit with Matt and Cecily recalling Xmas day).

Not usually a big fan of Miley but she killed it with the “Happy Xmas” cover.

Finally...I wish Pete all the best, poor guy. Mental illness is a bastard.

dan c

21. Tim Lookingbill

After watching the posted Weezer sketch video I'ld have to say and agree with some here that it's just not as funny as it used to be. Last night I tuned in after the monologue and told myself with every ensuing sketch if I don't laugh with this one, I'll give the next one a chance and then if that one didn't deliver I was going to shut it off.

I think I lasted four sketches. I did miss the Weezer sketch and I can see I didn't miss much. Maybe there just isn't any topic that hasn't already been parodied. What else can they make fun of? Getting tired of the Trump stuff.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

It's funny. I've been wondering for over a year what's up with her weight. I even did a search a while back to
    see if she was pregnant. (She's not...). She is still extremely, well, hot. But just a few years ago, this is how
    she looked on the show. Definitely is what it is, but, man, she looked incredible in this sketch...

seed_drill and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. Tim Lookingbill

I still think she's hot even with the added weight. I really don't look for it in her sketches. I think she has more talent than several of the cast members. I just don't think the writers know how to come up with sketches that speak to her style. We must not forget the "Girl You Wished You Hadn't Start A Conversation With At A Party". That sketch seems way too specific for a writer NOT to know that concept would've only worked with Cecily. No one else could do it but her. At least I can't think of anybody.

sixtiesstereo and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I think Heidi could. Both Cecily and Heidi are very great at playing overly emotional characters. Not that that particular one is overly emotional, but I can see Heidi doing that character in my mind.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  25. tingly

tingly Forum Resident

The 1979-80 season had a similar sketch.

A couple (Bill Murray and Gilda Radner) has another couple (Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss) over to their house for the first time, but it's a disaster -- they have absolutely nothing in common. After several long, awkward pauses, and just at the point when it seems the evening is a total bust, Richard notices an ash tray on the coffee table. "Hey, is this from the Sahara in Las Vegas?" he asks. "Yeah," says Bill, "we go there every year... to see Joey." "Joey? You mean... Joey Bishop? We love Joey too!" At that point the two couples become animated, excited, and can't stop talking about their favorite, Joey Bishop, recounting every detail of Bishop's existence, from his (few) movies ("He was the best thing about 'Texas Across the River'!") to his former sidekick Regis ("the traitor") Philbin. Eventually the discussion gets around to the shows at the Sahara. "We always go to the early show," Paula observes. "Joey's always better at the early show."

Suddenly, a pall descends upon the room.

"What do you mean, he's better?" asks an incredulous Bill. "We go to the late show. He's looser at the late show." "Yeah, we always go to the late show," adds Gilda. "He's much looser." After a few bitter exchanges, Richard and Paula have had about enough and storm out, none too soon for Bill and Gilda.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.