Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

BTW, which one's Greta? :D

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

This is the group:

[​IMG]

stereoptic likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

And another...

[​IMG]

4. But, vocalist Josh Kiszka looks pretty normal in the above pix. I'm hoping he can top sartorial crimes like these:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Someone's got to make the tambourine photo their new avatar.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Are you sure the last photo isn't Treat Williams from the movie of Hair?

7. I was thinking Arnold Horshack done up for Hippie Dressup Day, but this works as well.

8. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

:cheers: Thought GVF were great as usual, crazy outfits and all!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. poidog

poidog Senior Member

I only saw the second song but based on that I am not getting the hype.

10. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

They made Wayne (he was on month) look like James Brown ....they were horrible

11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Same here only it took me about one minute listening to the first song where I jumped to another channel to wait it out.

Someone didn't setup their sound right. Sounded like a small garage band. No bottom end on the kick drum and bass and I could barely hear the lead vocal next to the lead guitar. Their wardrobe was much louder and interesting, but I kept getting throw back vibes from their choices in fashion. I couldn't help think I was being pandered to by a Millennial. I'm not that much of a rocker from the '70's. I was hoping they'ld do a cover of Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein" but they just didn't have the instruments to pull it off convincingly.

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

GVF provided more laughs for me then the actual sketches.

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"Hello?...Who's a pretty boy?.."

14. I wouldn't say that, but it was weird the way the vocalist kept breaking into this huge goofy grin, especially when he was otherwise trying to look soulful. Nerves, perhaps?

Anyway. Missed everything before Update, which had some good bits. The Ken Instagram sketch was decent as well. Is that really what the current Ken looks like?

OldSoul and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

After he sang his line, he would mumble something like an Adam Sandler character

16. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

This episode was heavy on parodying the relationship of Millennials to Baby Boomers which kind of dovetails into the weird GVF band appearance. There was a game show sketch where the Millennial contestants had to sit through a Baby Boomer preaching to them how good they have it by comparison where of course the Millennial would lose arguing the Baby Boomers are spending all their money on crap they couldn't afford in their youth like expensive sound systems and having too many houses they don't need.

Overall I'ld have to say this past episode was very well written and I did laugh at several of these sketches, but the references to Millennials to Baby Boomers kinda' made me a bit uncomfortable from a socioeconomic POV.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Matthew Tate and footlooseman like this.
  17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I thought that "Deal Or No Deal" was a great idea, but the execution was a little off. Lots of wasted potential there. And it's kind of funny how they basically admitted that no one on the staff is talented enough to imitate Howie Mandel, so they just had Kenan play Steve Harvey. They are really going to miss him when he's gone. (Which will apparently be next season.)

18. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I'm still giggling at the idea of "talented enough to imitate Howie Mandel," as if that's an impersonation you expect anyone to have in their back pocket.

If, for a limited time, you still have Kenan doing Steve Harvey, that's what you use.

19. The Slug Man

I was hoping we'd get a cameo from Fred Armisen as Howie Mandel.

20. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Did they not have Kyle Mooney doing Howie Mandel just earlier this season? The Jonah Hill episode?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

22. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Pretty uninspired after a month off...not one but two game show sketches with Kenan as the host seems like SNL at its laziest... at least they skipped having a sketch set in a restaurant. They need to use Kate a bit less too...does she have to imitate EVERY female politician? Her bag of tricks is getting a bit empty to me-a lot of recycled mugging went into her Pelosi bit.

I won't pile on Greta Van Fleet but they reminded me of The Darkness more than anything...an imitation of an imitation.

23. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Not the greatest show this week. James McAvoy is somewhat lacking in the comedic timing department, and it was distracting to see him looking at the cue cards all night.

And Steve Martin's talents were wasted. He shouldn't have tried to do an accent.

Matthew Tate and footlooseman like this.
  24. The Slug Man

I couldn't figure out who that was at first. I was like, is that De Niro? John Goodman?

swandown and Hymie the Robot like this.
  25. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Same here! I thought it was Goodman for at least thirty seconds...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.