Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I believe you'll find it fully-documented in my own opinion.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

So it's Wednesday. Does anyone want to watch Kate and Aidy struggle through the "Smokery Farms" bit again? Yes please...

Whether a writer thought it would be interesting to let the meat, um, 'cure' or if the prop department ran out of refrigerator space, either way it turned a decent bit into some absolutely hilarious live TV.

dan c

3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No thank you.

Once was already five minutes I wish I had back.

4. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I thought that Keenan missed it on the opening in the area of the physical comedy. I thought he could have nailed the R Kelly outburst parody, the one that we've already seen all week. I was just expecting more in the physical comedy department. Missed opportunity.

5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Just happened to channel surf across it and left it on for a while. Seems pretty lame, and strained. Like straining to push something out of your rectum...OK, that might be too harsh. I wonder, if they didn't have the musical guests, what would happen to viewership. And how IS the viewership/ratings? Great? Toilet? Middling?

6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

March 30:

Sandra Oh/Tame Impala

7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I had to quit on last night’s episode. During Weekend Update with the bit about the sea salt cream or whatever, I decided that was enough for me. Paltrow coming out and then starting to go into the same shtick that hadn’t been funny before she was out there was the tipping point.

It is a shame because this show still airs at a time where I am ready to have a laugh and relax, but aside from Baldwin (and that is wearing thin) it almost boggles the mind that these shows are the best they can come up with given the hotbed of possibilities in our current culture.

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I agree. That bit was terrible.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

If John Mulaney is going to hang out with Pete, he needs to teach him to work harder on his material. Stand up is supposed to sound like you’re saying it off the top of your head, but not like you’re still in the middle of writing it.

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'm actually trying to keep from falling asleep at the time SNL airs at 10:30. I fell asleep at 10 and woke up during Weekend Update where I missed the Paltrow salt cream bit. I agree with your assessment of the quality of content on SNL.

That's why I catch the 9PM reruns of SNL with last night's Feb 1993 episode with Luke Perry as host and a Weedend Update of Mike Myers' impersonation of Mick Jagger and Jagger doing a spot on impression of Keith Richards with Myer's belting out..."For cryin' out loud, Keith, at least speak King's English, will ya?".

I'm glad I stayed awake to see that episode which I found a lot more funny. Unfortunately I had to mute the "Opera Man" segment because that was never funny and became quite irritating to watch as I remember back then as it still is today.

krock2009 likes this.
  11. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Last week's show is looking better and better.

MekkaGodzilla and jupiter8 like this.
  12. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The Michael Jackson Doc. Joke was Great.

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i thought this episode was hilarious

OldSoul likes this.
  14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

This was a steep drop after last week’s- I guess the Mulaney episode was a fluke.

DaveySR likes this.
  15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Mulaney was so good you wonder why he didn't shine while he was on the show.

jupiter8, DaveySR and OldSoul like this.
  16. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I think NBC would do them self a big favor by replacing Jimmy Fallon with Mulaney. Mulaney has a certain mid west intellectual arrogance similar to Letterman that can move a talk show along at a good pace and not pander to the audience as if we don't know better.

Billy Infinity, krock2009 and OldSoul like this.
  17. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

I have a theory about this - since he was never a cast member, we never really saw visual representation of his contributions. Also, because he was just one of X number of writers, there's any number of reasons why his material may not have made it to air. However, when he hosts, he's essentially calling the shots and given more cache in shaping the show. Case in point: his Diner Lobster sketch, which never made air while he actually worked there, but he hosts and boom - it's not only aired but becomes a recent favorite. Would have loved to see him make head writer at some point. Probably could have made a real impact!

krock2009 and OldSoul like this.
  18. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Jason Sudeikis (Kansas) was a missed opportunity as well. He has that Midwest Carson/Letterman snark that is so missed in late night.

Watch Burn Notice Game Show Free Online - Saturday Night Live Season 35 Episode 14 Excerpt

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Though it would no doubt bore the millennials, I miss Letterman's and Carson's interview skills. Can you imagine a 15 minute thoughtful and interesting interview from Fallon? The audience would go stir crazy, not being able to whoop and holler for that long. :magoo:

20. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I haven't seen that skit since it aired but I can't hear ride like the wind and NOT think about it!!!

Oatsdad likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

From the recent episode, I liked "Can I Play That?" the best. "Soccer Broadcast" "Power Point" and "Gold Diggers" were pretty good as well.

Dan C, OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

So if Mulaney is so brilliant why was his sitcom so terrible?

OldSoul likes this.
  23. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The more I've seen him in recent years, the less I understand why that show sucked as much as it did. I think it was just too similar to
    Seinfeld, though. I also wouldn't be surprised if John was just toning down his humor for it. He seems to love "out there" comedy, and I don't recall the one of two episodes of the show that I watched being "out there" at all.

krock2009 and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I do wonder why there won't be a new SNL episode for a long time. Are they on another break or something?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

one they usually do like 3 in a row and then 2 weeks off or so. two I am guessing they are making sure it doesn't fall on a night when the ncaa games might last until midnight or so and take away viewership

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.