Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The Farley tribute was great.

Weekend Update as well. Opera Man and Kate McKinnon doing Elizabeth Warren were both funny.

The reunion bit was half-decent, too. Glad I didn’t give up on it but man did it start off bad.

2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

100%

3. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I missed about half of the Chris Farley tribute song.

The two strong sketches for me that made me laugh out loud was the CNN journalist morphed into a bunny face and other hilarious distortions from using SnapChat/Instagram selfie app to report on the Tripoli war carnage.

And the other is Sandler's non-live studio produced faux commercial for the use of an oversized suppository pill to reduce the affects of erectile dysfunction. The pill was so big it had a handle to pull it out and it vibrated.

I couldn't stop laughing!

4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

5. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

This part really got me...

"The last we big hang we had was at Timmy Meadows' wedding party
    We laughed all night long, all because of Farley
    But a few months later, the party came to an end
    We flew out to Madison to bury our friend
    Nothin' was harder than sayin' good bye, 'cept watchin' Chris' father have his turn to cry"

RIP Chris! You are sorely missed. Last night's SNL brought a smile back, as I recalled why the 90s was a wonderful decade to grow up in. Being in high school during the Sandler/Farley era of SNL, I will always look back on that time as very special and will always be a part of me. I think we all have those seasons in our lives as we grew up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

People have almost psychotic responses to their political humor now, so I'm glad they let it rest for one week. Reading people's Tweets after a sketch about you-know-who, I get legitimately afraid for the castmembers.

7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

IMO Adam Sandler's film career has been a witless mess of unfunniness. His time on SNL was only slightly less witless. Needless to say, I did not enjoy much of the show last night. The family reunion sketch was about as good as the Sandler stuff got. The best SNL comedy has edge. Sandler just never had any.

Shawn likes this.
  8. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

I knew the Farley Tribute Song from Sandlers last Netflix special, but seeing him do it on the SNL set was a very moving experience.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I saw him do that in a clip from his Netflix special, but it was far more emotional and intimate there at SNL. Really sweet, beautiful moment.

I'm never one to complain when SNL hits hard at politics, but I admit it was really nice to take something of a break. I like that the C-Span intro was basically a wink at that. One of the most unexpectedly funny bits was the travel agent ad trying to temper expectations. :laugh:
    Adam Sandler Would Like You to Manage Your Expectations Before Seeing Italy

It was solid show overall.

dan c

10. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

The travel agent thing made me laugh out loud and it was fun to see Sandler and especially Kristen Wigg bring a little insanity back to the proceedings. She and Kate McKinnon are a potent duo. The writing though has just gotten so bad. All they do anymore is just trot out variations of the same 3-4 tired premises again and again and the whiskers are really starting to show. The cast can be pretty good but I think they are desperately in need of some new blood in the writer's room.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Farley song. Nice sentiment and everything but not really very well executed. An unpopular view I know but that's what I thought. But I've always found Sandler kind of hacky so maybe it's just me.

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Thought the show was a very fun victory lap for Sandler. I don't watch GOT or The Avengers so aside for the Kenan quips as Steve Harvey, I kind of just sat stone face. Most of the other sketches gave me a lot of laughs. The Holes video was a dud for me. Even when Adam appeared as a Slash parody.

Line of the light for me was Kate as Elizabeth Warren.
    Everybody make room for good ol' Joe, the Amtrak Masseuse" :D

13. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Worst thing about the recent show, as always when he makes an apperance: Jimmy Fallon.

14. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

That Holes skit just screams that it was written by Kyle Mooney. He is not funny. I have never wanted someone to leave SNL so bad as much as him.

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I truly believe this is him in real life.

16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The travel agent commercial is still making me laugh when I think about it. Customer service is part of my job, and I want to say some of what he said to people I talked to today.

17. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Yeah, Holes was probably one of the worst digital short/music video things they've put on in years. Studio audience barely even chuckled and was the same here. Can't believe they didn't realize how bad it was during editing.

OldSoul, jupiter8, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

The Rexit skit was hilarious.

19. TheLazenby

I kind of liked it because it was VERY Tim and Eric to me.

MikaelaArsenault and kouzie like this.
  20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just not "Great Job"?

Love their show on Adult Swim. They made surrealism comedic. Something I thought was impossible.

21. TheLazenby

It seemed like the post-Great Job stuff they did, like their "Goatee" song.

22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

“Holes” is great as a Steven Wright or Demetri Martin-type observation. It’s terrible as a music video that just goes on and on and on.

tingly likes this.
  23. A solid show with several laugh at loud moments. The holes video was a dud and Leslie Jones continued to bring the laughs to halt -this time as Groot, but everything else worked for me.

24. TheLazenby

"B*tch, I'm Groot" worked... once.

Twice, it wasn't as funny.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm normally a fan of the bizarre Kyle/Beck stuff, but this one was awful. Far better sketches they've done have been cut for time. Not sure why this one made it.

I'm surprised so many seemed to like the travel agent commercial. With Adam's lazy stare at the prompter line reading, I didn't think it worked well at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.