Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I've never used a travel agency because I don't travel. Too much planning and hassle to book and get to one's destination especially if it's overseas. The devil is definitely in the details and there's a lot of them when preparing to travel. So I related to Adam's dead tired stair that confirmed my suspicions the hell travel agents must go through when their naive customer's unrealistic expectations don't pan out in some of the most trivial and petty circumstances illustrated perfectly in that skit. I never could understand why folks think traveling to a foreign country is some right of passage or achievement in life. It's an ordeal like everything else according to size in scale.

"If you were depressed before you went on this trip, you'll be depressed when you get here". LOL!

The journey should be the reward, not the destination especially if all the traveler does is complain to their travel agent about expectations not being met.

2. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Um, have you ever seen a Steve Perillo commercial? Adam kinda nailed it, intentionally or not. I thought it was a fun parody with a nice, relatable little cosmic joke folded in.

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I have and that's what made it funny to me

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Unless she says it more than once, the bit is not complete. It has to be established as the only thing she says.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Holes was the only funny thing about the most recent show. Utter genius.

6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Jimbo62, bartels76, Cokelike- and 5 others like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

opera man was fantastic

8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

OK, I will give you that was a little funny. I don't really care for Sandler that much anymore, but Opera Man is OK. I really only watch the show when Cecily Strong does Judge Pirro.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

they need to have mike myers or dana carvey host again .

10. Please no. I find them as unfunny as I do Adam Sandler!

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No, I'd never seen one or heard of him before. I just watched one on YT, and I can see what they were going for. I still don't think it was very funny, though I did laugh at the brief clip of Keenan and Aidy doing the blindfolded strawberry eating.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

It was nice to see Heidi get so much screen time. The Three Stooges-inspired etiquette coach skit was hilarious

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Vomit inducing episode. Just awful.

Weekend Update is usually good for a couple of laughs even on a bad night, but why they interrupt it with these absolutely pathetic and unfunny appearances is an approach I can’t follow. Pete Davidson and his mom, ok, fine, it’s for Mother’s Day. But that teen movie reviewer schtick is just so bad.....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

As a dad to a teen girl I thought she was spot on with her character!

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I don’t doubt that she could well be spot on for a certain segment of teen girls.

Unfortunately, for me, that doesn’t make it funny.

I guess they could interrupt Weekend Update with someone impressively imitating a crying baby as well, but.....

16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Annoying is sometimes funny depending on your mood. I didn't think it was as bad as you make it out to be. I have seen much worse on WU segments. The opening and WU were the highlights for me this week. Average show at best.

17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Probably more about taste in comedy than mood but I agree the latter surely would also make sense.

I thought the opening was very poorly written and even the talent involved just could not save most of those lines.

TeacFan likes this.
  18. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

They've really been feeling the absence of Alec Baldwin in the cold openings.

All in all, the Emma Thompson was a terrible episode. This whole season has felt a bit off.

19. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

At least she wasn't playing her other WU character, the boxer's wife whose every other line is "I'm goin' to my sista's."

20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Man I so agree. Baldwin really was giving them something for the opens.

But as I said, I can't even blame the cast so much. Sure, a lot of them overdo everything to the point where it loses some possibility, and Baldwin is a master at not doing that, but some of the writing this week was downright pitiful, IMO.

21. The Susan Collins character nailed her voice and inflections perfectly -the others, not so much. Pretty good, not great opening.

22. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I got a kick out the Susan Collins imitation and thought the opening had promise because of it, but the lines were so bad the whole thing got to the point where I could hardly keep from turning the channel.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Surprised Mitch McConnel hasn't been a "benchmarked" character by now; he's more of a lightning-rod for satire these days, very polarizing figure. Susan Collins' character was well-done, but even if I were a political cartoonist I wouldn't spend the commensurate time defining her to make a point; bckground character at best. And as for Lindsay Graham, Kate McKinnon is a great...Jeff Sessions.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

His appearance and voice don't lend themselves to caricature... ;)

25. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.