Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2018-2019 44th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

He has always been a first, second and third class jerk.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Who was that tuneless schmuck warbling at the end? Dreadful.

Ed Hughes and JDeanB like this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Kanye West

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I dunno about the rest of you, but while watching the opening skit I went back and forth between (1) thinking it was tasteless and (2) laughing my butt off.

Irish-Matti likes this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I've never seen Kanye perform before and whoa.......that performance was some first-class talentless crap. I'm speechless. How is he famous? That was terrible x 10. Oh, and the episode was crap too.

SonOfAlerik likes this.
  6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I thought Matt Damon was pretty good. :shh:

7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

PrancyTheWonderBug likes this.
  8. That was one of the weakest episodes in years. The only thing I found remotely amusing was the Career Day / Your Father at School bit.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  9. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The other schmuck.

10. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

No love for Garrett Morris?

11. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Actually, the only thing I found remotely amusing was Kate McKinnon's Lindsey Graham impression.
    I am always amazed at her remarkable talent season after season. Here's a link...
    Brian Tyler Cohen on Twitter

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    footlooseman likes this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

How is a spot on imitation tasteless? I laughed my butt off, too.

13. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

I believe Mr. West gave an unplanned political statement which NBC chose not to broadcast.

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

You mean Ye.

15. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That was after the song ended. It also came after 1:01, so the show was going off air no matter what.

16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Even his fans thiught last night was horrible. I'm not a fan, but apparently his early stuff is actually great.

17. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

I choose to LMAO. Quite spot on, but the overall situation is rather sad.
    Made a sandwich when Kanye came on.

Lonson likes this.
  18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Loved the Ginsburg.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  19. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Oh, no—I’m not going there! :D

Hey, the funny eventually won. I’ll leave it at that.

20. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Do we still have to call it comedy when adherence to one political ideology takes priority over being funny?

Too bad, the country could use a way to laugh together.

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Don't worry, the United Nations found one.

Re: Kanye -- I am becoming convinced that he thinks he's doing provocative performance art, and that it's a self-conscious response to realizing he blew any artistic integrity he had left when he married into that family. His worsening mental problems (he's not been right in the head at least since his mother died) are undoubtedly also a factor.

jupiter8, kevywevy, Ed Hughes and 3 others like this.
  22. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

I'm not quite sure how anyone can discuss SNL without venturing into taboo territory, but I'll try.

In fairness to all parties, fans or critics of SNL, I've only seen clips from last night's broadcast. So, I can't assess the program in it's entirety from an objective standpoint one way or the other. From a more general perspective I'll agree with folks who find the show less funny these days. Maybe the writing or tastes in humor have changed ...my tastes in humor may have changed... or the regular comedians on the show aren't connecting with SNL's core audience as well as show alumni from 30 years ago (...I'm using the term "alumni" in the more traditional sense). Perhaps the deadly serious nature of our divided/divisive culture is what makes it impossible to parody current events. It might even be a combination of all these factors or something entirely different.

Keeping in mind that Kanya's performance wasn't an interview, I sincerely believe that SNL probably did "Ye" ...or whatever Mr. West is calling himself these days... a BIG favor by not allowing the show to run over in airing his non-music related political diatribe. Apparently he got booed by the audience and only two or three claps of applause for his performance in the room after he concluded. That kind of response can leave an indelible, highly negative, impression of any live performer.

Also, the clip I watched of Kate McKinnon just didn't work for me. I think there was an opportunity to do a much cleverer parody of Lindsey Graham's vitriolic performance from the Senate hearing room without the stiff neck approach that suggested he was less than coherent and more goofy than effective. What I'd love to have seen is an aide bringing out a straight jacket and keeping it at the ready as he went on the attack. Perhaps invoking the legendary James Brown routine with Graham stopping to take a breath as an aide put the jacket over his shoulder, Lindsey throwing it off and continuing his defense of the indefensible, ...but that's just my sense of humor playing out; other's mileage would probably vary.

Anyway, there were a number of moments from the confirmation hearing that could've been parodied, but weren't. IMO, there were missed opportunities for humor by SNL regardless of where you position yourself on the politics of the judicial appointment.

So, what about SNL in the current environment? One of the reasons it's more difficult to sell comic parody these days is that the reality is so over the top that comedy writers can't make up stuff that's visibly that different from what we're experiencing in real life. For some folks, the reality is a nightmare that just can't be laughed off. For other's it's an attempt to ridicule policies and/or the guy perpetrating policies they support who's very sensitive to public criticism and ridicule. SNL was founded on comic parody skits and music that is reflective of contemporary culture. In my estimation, SNL holding onto a declining audience share in the current environment of a seriously divided country with many more outlets for entertainment is a no win scenario.

:cheers:
    Cat

Mechanical Man and footlooseman like this.
  23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Who exactly are you talking about when you say "SNL's core audience"? Like, who do you think that is?

24. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

He was Great. Had all mannerisms down pat.

25. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Folks who watch it regularly. The audience based solely on demographics will probably be different, dependent upon age, political persuasion, etc..

:cheers:
    Cat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.