Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2019-2020 45th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Aug 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, it wasn't.

AKA likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Grant, somnar, krock2009 and 3 others like this.
  3. chacha

That Eddie Murphy episode the other night was a delight from start to finish.
    Most fun I’ve had watching the show in a Long time.

4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Loved the Sonic cake...

somnar likes this.
  5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

My wife immediately twigged that all three of those cakes appeared on the blog Cake Wrecks, which she's a big fan of.

krock2009 and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. somnar

somnar Senior Member

IMO, a pretty great episode. Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, North Pole News Report, Gumby, the baking contest, Buckwheat, and the digital short (the "family" one) were all super funny. I thought Murphy stumbled a bit in the Velvet Jones/Jeopardy sketch, but was otherwise amazing - he really committed to everything and kept his eyes off the cue cards.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't care for Gumby or Buckwheat, but the other skits he was in on, including the intro, were hilarious!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Aneese Nameena!!!

9. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

This is probably more your speed, huh, Ben?
    [​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m old enough to remember Murphy’s original run on SNL, and I found his return to represent everything that is wrong with the show - i.e., over-reliance on familiar characters and catchphrases - dredging up Gumby, Mr. Robinson, and Velvet Jones wasn’t funny to me, although I’m pretty clearly in the minority with that opinion.

Johnny Action likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I get the complaints about how heavily the episode relied on old characters, but in this case, I think it's forgivable.

Murphy's return was a big effing deal, and heads would've rolled if they'd ignored his famous characters.

If he hosts again in a year or 2 and they still trot out the same characters, that's fair game, but this was such an event that I think it was appopriate.

Plus, Murphy was in at least 3 sketches with new characters: the elf, the dad hosting Christmas, and the cake baker...

12. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

He hasn't been on the show for 35 years. Of course he was going to trot out his old characters.
    And the show hasn't been over-reliant on familar characters and catch phrases since Kristen
    Wiig left (outside of WU).

kouzie and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I am a huge fan on him on SNL too. After watching Mr. Robinson's neighborhood a few times, I think he was a little bit rusty. Give Eddy a whole season and he would come up with new things.
    It wasn't going to measure up to the last time he hosted....which....IMO is the single greatest episode of SNL in its history.

JuanTCB and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

It was enjoyable even when I watched it a second time with family. It was nice to see him bring the funny. I enjoyed his scream during the elves sketch!

BadJack and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. chacha

When did he host the show before?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

December 1984. He's the only person to host while still a cast member

chacha and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

If I am not mistaken, he was not a cast member then. But he did host once before when he was a cast member. Nick Nolte was scheduled to but couldn't, so he stepped in so a star from 48 Hours would still host

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As noted above, you're confusing two episodes. Murphy hosted on December 11, 1982 (while still a cast member) because Nick Nolte was sick and bailed at the last minute. Murphy left the show at the end of the 1983-84 season, and then returned to host on December 15, 1984, which was the final Dick Ebersol season. Interesting that all three episodes he's hosted have come in December.

Matthew Tate, somnar and mmars982 like this.
  19. Tim Crowley

Tim Crowley Forum Resident

Murphy hit a show home run---It was a real hoot seeing him do his old characters. The most enjoyable episode(for me)in years. I've been rewatching the clips on YouTube.

20. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Something about how angry Gumby was during "Weekend Update" tickled me something fierce. I uncontrollably giggled at Saturday Night Live for the first time in years. Jost and Che played off of Murphy perfectly even as the latter was going off script and improvising a bit.

I love when he's insulting Jost with "trailer boy" and "headshot". Funny stuff.

21. More like, why does Lorne Michaels hate Canada? Plenty of other NBC shows aren't region-blocked, but not SNL...

22. chacha

Speaking of Eddie, I’m watching his Netflix Rudy Ray Moore movie and lovin it.

Grant and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Maybe that’s part of a deal between NBC and Global.

kevywevy and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Actually fortunately this season, there are some of course, but not a ton of recurring characters being rehashed over and over in favor of new ideas - hit or miss ideas admittedly

With Eddie, I feel like either way there was going to be either people going "he didn't do enough of the characters that helped make him who he is" or "he relied on past humor with these 35 year old characters" - I feel like while I definitely see where you are coming from, I think the way they handled it, putting these characters in the year 2019, was the happy medium between the two

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He’s even Canadian!

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.