Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

what happened to Jason Sudeikis playing Biden?

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I liked Sudeikis as Biden better than Woody Harrelson. But Jim Carrey taking it on is interesting. It doesn't seem like a natural match, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

He'd have to move back to NY.

4. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

As much of a slide as the show has been in, the remote episodes were all but unwatchable; cringe inducing. They desperately need new blood on that show...

5. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Ratings killer.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Yeah - it's on life support.

The only consistently funny cast member is Che, and he does next to nothing.

7. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I thought Harrelson was hilarious - that episode he hosted was by far the best of many past seasons.

Shawn and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. modrevolve

10. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I assume the only way they can do this is to have access to the same type of covid-19 testing that the sports teams are using. Otherwise I would think there would be some real consternation on the part of the cast and crew.

They may be able to have 25% capacity studio audience with a mask mandate? Cuomo has announced that indoor dining can resume on Sept 30 with 25% capacity.

11. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

You gotta be kidding... Kate McKinnon is outstanding all the time.

12. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

It should be interesting to see what they do for an opening credit sequence...the usual montage of the cast at busy NYC locales just won't look right this season.

And count me among those that loved the (at least the last couple of) "at home" episodes. They had the time to perfect performances and edit pieces, and weren't just trying to make a studio audience laugh...it felt like SCTV.

davenav, kouzie, Shawn and 4 others like this.
  13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I was talking about the montage in a Discord group. I really like this montage and don't particularly want to see it go, but it definitely could end up feeling weird. They could change the B-roll footage and just change the few cast shots that are in busy places. I'm afraid the alternative will be some bland picture montage.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. modrevolve

And the first host is...

Chris Rock

musical guest Megan Thee Stallion

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

1) Change the open montage to reflect the distancing...maybe XCU-zooms into cast members in isolated positions but in relatively-busy areas?
    2) Assuming 75% less audience, and separated at that, expect less reaction the cast can work off of. Could make things feel awkward, even if not. I'm gonna assume, hotter audience mic'd mix.
    3) Take out the cliche staples of verbiage in the warmup opening monologue, to reflect the difference in the setting (particularly the show-so-full-of-its'-own-importance vibe; you're here for us, not for posterity).
    4) Don't abandon the home-staged bits entirely; as much as I hated the Emmys broadcast, I must admit some of it had immediacy and realistic excitement to it.

17. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If performing without anyone in the studio means less mugging for the audience (looking at your Kate), then I'm cool with that.

19. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Cecily Strong is on this weeks WTF with Marc Maron Podcast . She talks openly about how uncomfortable she felt doing Weekend Update and her lifelong struggle with depression. Nice talk, I think she's underrated.

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

She's so terrific. I'll need to listen to that.

dan c

21. modrevolve

Just a heads up..Cecily’s interview was taped on 8/11/2020 so no real news reading Saturday. You can tell by the breaking news that happens during the call.

she is such a sweet person and I really felt for her during the interview.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Good question, I’ll try to keep an open mind about Jim Carrey but Jason Sudeikis was so terrific in the role that I’m hard pressed to see how this is anything more than stunt casting.

23. modrevolve

Lorne wanted whoever is playing Biden to live in New York the entire time. So that is a possible reason why he isn’t continuing. Apparently Jim Carey pitched the idea to Lorne and he went for it.

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I had no idea Carey moved out East. Unless he’s bi-costal which I suppose is possible.

I loved Jason’s Biden character, but I look forward to seeing what Carey does.
    dan c

25. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

So apparently they are not letting anyone go but are adding 3 more featured players...will this be the biggest cast ever?

I can't believe they didn't at least let Kyle Mooney go...I think I've laughed at him about twice in six years.

Maybe Lorne felt it would be unfair to let anyone go because last season was so truncated due to covid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.