Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I did catch some of it, probably most, actually & the rest I'm catching on youtube this AM. Enjoyed Phoebe Bridgers' performances, but thought the guitar smashing seemed uncomfortably out-of-place & time (the music's not punk or hard rock for such). Thought the commentaries on social media during weekend update were spot-on - may have grinned @ the absurdity, but not LOL funny.

Viewing the Dan Levy "It Gets Better" skit, all I can think is how much he looks like Johnny Galecki w/that hair & w/out glasses! My gosh, it would've been great to have a skit w/them as conjoined brothers, like Stuck On You (never actually watched it, but am aware of it) or like Lucy w/Harpo Marx. :winkgrin:

...Just viewing Dan's monologue now; so far, LOL!! :D:laugh::laugh:

Zillow! :laugh::laugh:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Ah, thanks for the correction . . . I did disclaim "IIRC," but you're right that I unnecessarily threw Lorne Michaels under the bus. I do remember a competitive versus collaborative comparison between the two shows.

czeskleba likes this.
  4. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Hurry with that footing-ends 3/25. That puts it over the once coveted 100+episodes but one wonders what that means if it just gets pushed into Peacock and forgotten.

Shawn and aorecords like this.
  5. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Super Bowl Pod (party) - Ohhhh, very caustic social commentary - & very funny!! :laugh::laugh:

Smart writing & performers brought A+ game this episode!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  6. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Pretty good episode, Phoebe Bridgers was the best musical guest thus far this season.

Somehow someone should show her how to break a guitar neck. That was emberassing.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  7. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Yeah, that whole thing was so staged. Did you see the Sparks flying from the monitor? C'mon.

I still think Jack White wins for best performance this season.

svoegtlinNH and ex_mixer like this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I liked Phoebe Bridgers’s first song a lot, but the guitar smashing gimmick is so played out.

Panama Hotel likes this.
  9. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I burst out laughing during the Cheez-It commercial

10. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

11. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

SNL is not funny anymore, I wish they had let the host write the whole show because Schitt's Creek is funny. Time for SNL to retire.

12. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

I lost interest and didn't get that far.

13. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

For criticizing a sketch for not including the punchline you couldn't wait five whole minutes until the end to hear, you win the Most Internet Thing on the Internet Award for today.

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I liked the overly corny Superbowl song in the bar...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Me too. I was not expecting that. Also, the Q-pon!

Dan C, Matthew Tate and Hall Cat like this.
  16. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Funny, when I saw the SNL commercial I assumed that it was inspired by an episode of Rick & Morty from last year.

Turns out that the comedian's YouTube special was uploaded just 3 months after that Rick & Morty episode aired. Hmmm.

OldSoul likes this.
  17. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Interesting. I feel the opposite. Luckily, Schitt's Creek is done.

18. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Just me, but I did not like how the musical guest's voice level was presented. It was mostly too low in the mix. Iow, I felt her voice, instead of being mostly equal, or side by side with the instruments, should have rode over the instruments.

After watching the opening skit, I wondered if there was a writer's strike. I was thinking that Jr. High school students were writing this.

I think the most laughs I got were from things in the Weekend Update.

Overall, one of the most unmemorable shows ever from SNL.

OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The idea for the sketch isn't particularly original, so I have no trouble believing two people could have come up with it entirely independently of one another.

swandown, OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Cecily looked good in it. BTW, she's just done a commercial for Prego sauce where she does a Chicago-style dance.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Laraine Newman: "Such a great show. The Universal Studio tour sketch made me so jealous that we couldn’t do that kind of material when I was there. So hilarious and Dan Levy was superb."

22. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

So is SNL, they just haven't buried it yet.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. I like anything in SNL that demonstrates multiple talents in the actors, as part of the sketch. Sketch comedy improv has its limits. There's only so much it can do to make up for bad writing.

The last episode was the best one I've seen within memory. And I am not saying that as an SNL fanboy. Some of the sketches have been in such poor taste this season that I was considering boycotting the show totally. I was already headed in that direction, and when I did watch, had pretty much gotten into a pattern of only watching Weekend Update. But the Chalamet guest host show was pretty good- "Tiny Horse" is a Surrealist classic, and I thought Springsteen and the E Street Band sounded terrific.

So I gave this week's episode a chance, and lo and behold, everything worked. I can't remember the last time I saw an SNL without at least one clunker skit, and that includes the 70s. The "It Gets Better" skit had me practically falling off the couch laughing. Especially Kate KcKinnon and the iguana. If the neighbors were asleep, my laughter probably woke them up.

I liked both of Phoebe Bridger's songs, too- thunderous drama-rock isn't my well of inspiration, but I can get into it if it's well-performed. LOL, I was watching with someone with more conventional pop tastes, and when the second song began she said "There's something off about the music..." I replied "That's called harmonic dissonance." Which I thought was used sort of artfully, in that example. And then Phoebe had to gild the lily at the end, with the guitar destructo attempt. Hey, we get the point already, okay? And guitar smashing has been done. It's been anticlimactic ever since Jimi Hendrix closed out his set at the Monterey Pop Festival, which by at least some measures was a long time ago.

24. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

Very interesting- I find both of them to be unfunny.

25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Well, SNL, no question, is wildly uneven, but they are entirely different shows. Schitt’s Creek just has a tone and approach and a set of characters that isn’t to my taste, despite me being a life long fan of Eugene Levy and Catherine O’Hara. Ironically, some of Daniel Levy’s performances on SNL, I enjoyed more than anything he did on SC - it was a pretty solid episode for SNL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.