Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

It's amazing when they return after a few weeks and seem to be out of ideas and are rifling through the drawers for bits. But I think it makes a difference when the guest host has experience writing comedy as with Dan Levy (or John Mulaney) so this week was pretty solid. Hot Damn!

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I saw what you did there!

3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"Using sexual language to describe non-sexual things" is almost a cliche at this point. Remember when South Park did it with cooking?

czeskleba likes this.
  4. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

5. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

I've never found Dan Levy to be funny. He used to appear on Canadian TV ( before ****t Creek ) and I just thought it was a case of nepotism, as he seemed bereft of talent, charisma or wit. I watched the first episode of ****t's Creek and found it so awful I couldn't bear to watch another episode- it was paaiinnful- despite being fans of O'Hara and E. Levy.
    I actually bailed on SNL after Tina Fey took over- though I would check in from time to time when Kristen Wiig was on- she ranks up there with the best performers on SNL. Since about 2010 I've found the show to about as funny as a root canal. Dumb jokes and obvious politics just make it a boring watch nowadays which is why I don't.

Paper Shark likes this.
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What I find odd about those dumping on this season is they never once list another current comedy show better that writes/airs in the same week. John Oliver episodes are after months and months of research. South Park has a quick turnaround.

I'm another one who enjoyed the Levy SNL episode, but never had SC show click for me. I think it's because one character is too close to an immediate family member for me to laugh.

I wondered if Dan Levy had several factors working in his favor unlike other hosts this season:
    - his past 12 months have been the highlight of his working career
    - Superbowl made everyone feel normal for a week
    - being Canadian he hasn't been depressed for the past 10 months/4 years like many Americans for obvious reasons
    - vaccine give everyone light at the end of the tunnel optimism

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They better announce new hosts/musicians as their Feb 20th/27th shows remain TBA. Odd given that stars from some places(Canada/UK) need 2 weeks quarantine or whatever current NY law for "outsiders". NBC has a private jet and some magic phone numbers if they really wanted someone big.

Pretty Reckless is a music act I hope appears soon on SNL. TV savvy and only a couple hours drive away from NYC.

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I think the only time I laughed last night was:

Q: What's your sexiest quality?

A: My Weiner.

After last week I had high hopes. Oh well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I caught about 30 seconds of Rateliff's first song. I was like huh? I couldn't tell if his "singing" was some form of scat or he was actually singing lyrics. Once the band came in, I found what lyrics I could understand to be very trite HS poetry type stuff. I haven't enjoyed a musical guest since David Byrne last season.

I had to time shift this episode at Weekend Update. I'll catch the rest of it tonight.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Update wasn't even that good.

I'm only familiar with the S.O.B get me a drink song. It's pretty raucous so I was hoping for maybe something similar, but no. He was ok. I was just hoping for something else.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I dug the elbow monologues and Moffat's Tucker impression. The passive birthday intervention skit was amusing too

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Regina King was flawless this week, both in appearance & performance. They used her acting chops to good effect.

That being said, the best skit was the "Pelotaunt" commercial, just as the best last week was the "Zillow" parody commercial, imo.

Shawn, Joshua Tree and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Kate McKinnon continues to be one of the greatest cast members of all time at coming up with laugh-out-loud funny Weekend Update guest characters.

I thought the rest of the sketches were “meh” at best, although the CBD gummy cop sketch was pretty good.

The totally blah musical guest made me wish Phoebe Bridgers had come back to smash her guitar again.

darkmass, Matthew Tate and Dan C like this.
  15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

yeah, “weed gummy” was really funny. Cold opening should’ve been better but the jokes didn’t seem to be landing with the audience. Alex’s “Tucker” was spot on though. I laughed a lot during the birthday wine and signs bit. Weekend Update was average at best. I swear the audience’s energy was way off. Not much seemed to really be working.

dan c

Hymie the Robot and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I enjoyed Rateliff - good thing I never (ever) trust negative opinions on this board.

Billy Infinity and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I kinda liked the Pelotaunt commercial also.

pjc1, Shawn, freddog and 3 others like this.
  18. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

I think it was a pretty solid episode. Good bits, none outstanding but good and the musical guest was also ok by me.
    Was this the first episode this season where every cast member was on screen?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My wife got hooked on Schitt’s Creek. I found it to be mediocre at best.

20. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I liked the first season but bailed after a couple of the second. I could probably revisit it but i'm in no hurry. It took me until yesterday to finally get to the Dinner Party episode of The Office. I now understand how that show became so popular.

21. radickeyfan

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault, 905 and radickeyfan like this.
  23. radickeyfan

Bad Bunny should be huge this week .....i can not believe how he has crossed over

24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.