Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. Kroeger’s “My Name is Needleman” filmed bit, aired during the final ep of s9, was pretty great though. Otherwise he was a solid utility player, likeable if not exactly bursting with charisma.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    Dan C likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't remember that skit, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Anyway, I didn't claim the "role players" never had their occasional moments to shine - just that overall, they lacked the obvious ability to leap to stardom based on their "SNL" work...

4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

artfromtex and agentalbert like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Thanks.

Now I know why I don't remember that sketch! :help:

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Aww, I thought that was funny. Were any of the dancing girls cast members? I'm not familiar enough with the cast back then to know.

artfromtex likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

No. JLD, Mary Gross and Robin Duke were the only female cast members that year.

JLD and RD are in the "video dating" part. All the dancers are... dancers, I guess!

8. Oh come on - that sketch is gold, baby!

artfromtex and OldSoul like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Sorry Banya - that sketch isn't even pyrite.

Might be better if it didn't go on forever!

It's a one-joke sketch that doesn't know when to quit!

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Needleman is a classic, as are almost all the other pretapes from that calendar year.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  11. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Official season 46 cast photo...

[​IMG]

12. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Nice to see. IIRC, the NBC rules (are/were?) no more than 8 unmasked at the same time in a room, which is why they gear up for the bows. Might be a bit of photo compositing for this full cast shot end result.

14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

At least some of the cast is not thrilled about Elon Musk as host. I enjoyed this tweet from Chris Redd, because it nails Musk for one of my pet peeves:
    [​IMG]

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

While I like most of the cast members, the size of the cast has gotten way out of hand.

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

As ever, beware of SNL short-memory hyperbole, but... I don’t know if they’ve ever had so many cast who have been there for seven years or more. Aside from Kenan obviously, there's Kate, Cecily, Aidy, Beck, Kyle (somehow), Che, Colin (who has been there almost as long as Kenan as a writer)... even Pete has been there seven years. Most of them are still doing good stuff but it's time for a refresh I think, or at least a trim. But nobody they added this year has made a mark yet.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Some of the cast expansion was responding to deserved press diversity criticism in 2019. Lorne's world view at age 76 was differences than who NBC wanted as viewers.

That said, you could probably lose 2 white guys and barely notice. I roll my eyes when I see the final bows and 1-2 cast members were not in any live sketches that actually aired(maybe a pre-taped bit).

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

20 cast members this year is definitely the record. And last year's cast had tied the previous record of 17 which was set by the weird season 20 (in which there were 17 cast members total over the course of the year, but people were coming and going so there weren't actually 17 cast at any one time).

Yep. Almost half the cast at 7+ years is unprecedented. It used to be they'd add new people and prune old ones, but the pruning seems to have stopped. Only one person has left the repertory cast in the past four seasons, yet they've continued adding new people.

It's interesting to look at the chronology. For the first 15 seasons, no one ever went past five years. In season 16, Dennis Miller returned for a sixth year, and Carvey, Hartman, and Victoria Jackson followed suit the following season. Miller and Jackson both left after their sixth season, and staying longer than six years remained an anomaly. By the end of season 25, only five cast members had gone longer than six seasons: Meadows-10, Nealon-9, Hartman-8, and Carvey and Myers 6.5 each (both left midway through their final seasons). Things changed in the 00s, with more cast members staying past 7 or 8 seasons and of course Hammond lasting 14. But I'm pretty sure this year's cast has by far the most members who've reached seven seasons, as you noted.

LilacTeardrop and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Squealy

The way cast members are brought in now, with two seasons as secondary players, probably distorts perceptions of how long they’ve been around. You could subtract a year or two from most of them as far as seeming like important components of the show (with some exceptions like Kate).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. R79

R79 Forum Resident

Are there any actors/musicians you're surprised never hosted SNL? Arnold Schwarzenegger is the first that comes to mind (he did have a cameo in a Hans and Franz sketch). As for musical guests, they missed an opportunity in the 80s when Michael Jackson was white-hot to have him on the show (though he may have been too "big" for SNL by that point).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Squealy

When Kevin Nealon was in his 9th season it seemed like he’d been there for a hundred years. You don’t feel that about Aidy Bryant (but then see my above post).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Squealy

Tom Cruise comes to my mind as a big get they’ve never gotten. I think it’s too late now because he’s perceived in such a mixed way (plus he would never do it because it’s a situation he’d have no control over, and he doesn’t seem like he has any sense of humour about himself).

But he has plenty of competition here, including Julia Roberts, Meryl, Harrison Ford and Brad Pitt (who has appeared but not hosted):
    20 celebrities who have shockingly never hosted 'Saturday Night Live'

24. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think part of the reason is that there was so much turnover around him. He appeared in seasons with both Lovitz and Mark McKinney, so it seemed like his tenure spanned several different casts. Same with Tim Meadows. Whereas even though Aidy has been there nine years, the cast around her hasn't changed much so it doesn't seem like as much time has passed.

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I wish they'd stop posting pictures of upcoming names tacked on their corkboard.

The bottom one is where the musical guess is supposed to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.