Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I hear ya, and you might be right.

I remain surprised, though. I thought they'd err on the side of caution and not look like they're piling on...

MikaelaArsenault and czeskleba like this.
  2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

If Biden was President and he mocked masks and downplayed a pandemic, then the sketch absolutely would have mocked him.

And by the same token, if Trump had always worn a mask and never downplayed the pandemic, then the sketch wouldn't have mocked him.

3. Oatsdad

Look, I get it: Trump got lampooned because of karma and his general idiocy.

I don't claim that "SNL" crossed a line.

But I still remain surprised. I thought they'd avoid the potential impression of kicking Trump when he's down, even if he deserved to be kicked...

a customer likes this.
  4. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Strong show - after reading some of the gloom and doom here, I was a bit surprised.

That said, I knew they'd mostly lost their way re musical guests a long time ago, but this was especially, uh, not great.

5. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Loved the monologue.

MikaelaArsenault and Hall Cat like this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

yeah, meaning now that Harris has a possibility of repeating the role this season as the VP, not as a potential candidate, she may have to re-tool.

7. Oatsdad

Maybe, but I suspect that what we've seen is what we'll get.

If Biden wins, it's gonna be interesting to see how "SNL" treats him and Harris.

Clearly they won't pummel him like they did Trump. Like I mentioned earlier, "SNL" always wore its ideological heart on its sleeve - while the show made fun of Dem presidents, GOP presidents got it much worse.

Of course, one could argue some deserved it more than their Dem peers, but even a fairly milquetoast POTUS like Bush 41 got turned into a cartoon.

Again, none of this is to criticize "SNL" for their choices - it's a TV show and they can do what they want with zero obligation to be "fair and balanced".

But as we saw with Tina Fey's Palin, the show can impact public perception and potentially votes, so I suspect they'll go pretty easy on Biden/Harris if they win. They won't want to risk that their comedy harms Dems in 2024...

8. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

He's a very popular comedian - who I like.

But that monologue was lame and so are you :)

(I'm just kidding about you, it's all in fun.)

But to have a "solution" that supposed to be funny it has to have truth to it. The only truth is that he's mad. Everything else was the same rantings that I've heard everyone say for 40 years.

I've had discussions about this and thought about it - and the only comedian who I think that type of humor worked for was George Carlin - but his character (the George up there, which is a little different from the real George) took the attitude of "I don't care if it's fixed so I won't offer any solutions."

Hey, they got me to watch. I accidentally saw a it of a beer commercial so Loren's getting his money on the back end.

9. Aardvark23

Aardvark23 Forum Resident

To pile on in reference to the “musical” guest, that was horrible. Totally bad attempt at lip synching, and poor mixed messaging vaguely about the power of black women, but featured them all working out on stripper poles and glorifying them as sex objects.

10. somnar

somnar Senior Member

I laughed at it, you didn't. That's all.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  11. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

This week's musical guest, who I never heard of before Friday, was apparently at a party, maskless, and was seen kissing a bunch of barely legal girls. All this while he has a newborn with someone. Aside from the salacious details, I can't imagine they'll let him on the show this week, if he isn't properly isolating.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought the show was pretty lame. I gave up on the debate sketch about 1/2 way through. Chris Rock seemed like he just showed up to tape without having even looked at a script beforehand. I know people rely on teleprompters, but come on, Chris. You're an actual actor. Learn a few lines.

13. poppys

poppys Senior Member

Chris Rock is a national treasure. period.

14. OldSoul

Apparently, he just got diagnosed with a non-verbal learning disorder, which may explain why he's always been a bit stumbly on the show, but I'm not an expert.

15. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that was more my issue with it. i couldn't figure out what the message was suppose to be

Aardvark23 likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

I've liked Rock, but he's been shooting out some bad takes lately, though! :sigh:

17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Wow, that was the best they could come up with after the summer off? Did the writers and 20-some cast members literally do nothing all summer? That was, like, CRACKED magazine circa 1978-level stuff. Only the cold opening had any zing whatsoever.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hey, I was a big fan of Cracked Magazine circa 1978, and their writing was a lot sharper than much of what's on SNL these days. If you don't apologize the Talking Blob is going to pay you a visit.

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  19. agentalbert

Okay, I'll bite. How? Why? I like Chris Rock. He's a good comedian, and he's had a good acting career, even in roles that aren't straight comedy (Nurse Betty, for example). But "national treasure"? I mean, come on! I fail to see how even the biggest Chris Rock fan could put him that high.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

To be fair Lorne doesn't WANT people to learn line - he WANTs them to read off the prompters/cards.

Why? Because even thought he's created a show that has lasted for 45 years, created dozens of stars, and made very popular movies he doesn't understand what could make the show funnier.

SNL really doesn't have comedic timing at all - it never has. The only time it might have some are when 1 or more cast members do a sketch together where the characters reoccur - or when they dance.

I remember Harry Shearer talking about his 1979-1980 stint on the show - he said he wanted to show up on Monday in the morning, write sketches until Wednesday, then rehearse and tighten up sketches and rehearse and get them down by late Friday. Lorne wanted people to start writing at 3am on Wednesday and keep changing things until the very second the show airs. So they're making changes to the cards all the time - which means you can't memorize lines.

goodiesguy, Matthew Tate and Shawn like this.
  21. agentalbert

They can still look at the prompter some if needed. But if they were at least more familiar with them before taking the stage, they don't have to just stare at the prompter. Then the characters can actually seem to interact with each other.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. OldSoul

The problem is that the sketch can be so heavily rewritten or edited--while the sketch is on air--that it can be a problem to memorize things and say the wrong line. Sketches late in the show, especially, may require the cast to stay planted on the cue cards, because a minute of the sketch could be cut on the fly.

Matthew Tate, kevywevy and Shawn like this.
  23. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I think a good bit would be them introducing the president’s doctor, Dr. Sean Connolly, and it’s Darrell Hammond as .....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I felt it was a really weak show. They wanted to make fun of Trump, but were afraid of going too far, and therefore it didn't work. They either should have gone all out or not at all.

25. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Thumbs down on Carrey as Fire Marshall Biden (or Mask Biden, if you will). Woody Harrelson did more with less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.