Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

THAT was funny! :agree:

2. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I'd love to see more risks like this being taken, succeed or fail.

The audience scratching it's head isn't always a bad thing.

Shawn, Dan C, jupiter8 and 2 others like this.
  3. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Few institutions are more justifiably despised than one's very own cable provider.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'm wondering why a former president is even worth more than a quick cameo, especially after the Baldwin impression taking up so much oxygen over 5 years. Surely there's something, ANYTHING else that is topical/relevant in world politics worth mocking. This is beyond Biden being "parody proof" or kinda dull or the odd "senior moment".

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  6. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Stones did 3 song single set back in 1978.

Shawn, Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The Band did a bunch of songs in one go, in season 2.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. OldSoul

^They still had multiple segments, though, so maybe that doesn't count.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. OldSoul

Ah, just remembered Eubie Blake with Gregory Hines in season 4. That was one segment with multiple songs.

10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Someone should call the NYC's Finest... because Taylor swift just f'n KILLED it.

11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

best opening in a long time

Shawn and fluffskul like this.
  12. artsiistra

artsiistra Forum Resident

Great to see and hear the long version of All Too Well. Liked the short film video behind her, which helps tell the story of the song. Taylor being dressed in all black leotard or whatever they call that now, helped her fade into the background. I guess this was about the Gyllenhaal relationship...

13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

A few laughs but a big letdown after the promising progress they made last week.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  14. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

A lot of creative ideas tonight

15. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

1st sketch after the opening , after the opening was just ok. The very last one the same. Otherwise it was all A Level , Taylor Swift into Weekend Update , might be the best 30 minutes of TV , you will see for the rest of the year.

Dan C and fluffskul like this.
  16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

17. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

I thought last night's episode was not as good as the previous two episodes. I thought the cold open was funny but, like last week's, went on a bit too long. I also enjoyed the robot comedian segment on WU.

Dan C, fluffskul, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Guess I don't have much to look forward to over the next six weeks.

WU was solid as always. Taylor Swift... I don't know, hasn't she been on SNL like 50 times by now? I dug the idea of a longer track but it didn't really develop into much as I heard it. Sounded like a 3-4 minute song played twice through or something. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.......

Shoes1916 likes this.
  19. Not a fan of Taylor Swift so at least her having one (long) song made it easier for me so skip her performance.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  20. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

• I thought this episode was much better than last week's. :righton: Couldn't understand some of the raves about that one here, but, to each their own. I pretty much laughed throughout this episode. I'm not sure that I'd place it as best of the season, but it's definitely up there w/Rami Malek episode & Jason Sudekis one- that one being good episode but mostly being for the outstanding musical performances of Brandi Carlile.
    • Weekend update I don't usually laugh or nod head or cheer throughtout, but did so last night. :thumbsup:
    • Aristotle Athari is really standing out; that robot was fantastic how he did that voice!! :D:thumbsup:
    • Taylor Swift's performance w/the accompanying short film was good (but not topping Brand Carlile's performance, though, not close). For me, points deducted because goes on quite a bit too long. 10 minute songs are too long for me. That will scrape by for prog. or orchestrations, but not pop / folk-pop / or country-pop, not for me.

What I enjoyed the most last week (Nov. 6, Kieran Culkin, Ed Sheeran) was the Dionne Warwick skit; that was terrific!! ~
    Ego Nwodim has really come into her own, being a stalwart cast member, as Chloe Fineman is also fast becoming. :righton:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yep. I generally like Kate McKinnon, but her absence seems to have opened up space for others to step forward. I'm not really looking forward to her return.

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yikes, I had a feeling last week's show was a fluke. This show is in dire need of a cast shake-up. I don't get what folks see in Pete Davidson. The Three Sad Virgins guys were funnier than anything he did in that sketch. Keenan Thompson can't seem to get through a sketch without laughing and he's been on for what, 20 years? And why are they hiring new on-air talent that resemble other cast members - Melissa Villasenor/Sarah Sherman, Kyle Mooney/James Austin Johnson? If there's a bright spot this season, it's Ego Nwodim who has been consistently funny even when she's clearly reading the teleprompter.

Paper Shark and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. jrice

jrice Senior Member

It's been a long time since anything other than Weekend Update made me laugh out loud. This season is greatly improved!

24. I like Taylor's music, although she's no Joni Mitchell. Or Kacey Musgraves, or Rickie Lee Jones. She's got a gift with melody and rhyme, but there aren't a lot of hidden depths to plumb in her lyrics. And Taylor curates her own image so hard. I've found her public appearances to be cool, controlled, and self-possessed to the point of perfectly poised blandness. I was prepared to be utterly unimpressed.

And then she rolls out this fully committed, confidently performed one-act performance piece. I can't think of anything to compare it to. (edit: okay, one example: Jackson Browne's "Sky Blue And Black" has some similarities. Good song. But not the equal of that performance of "All Too Well.")

I can't even figure out if Taylor's SNL performance last night is an expression of vulnerability or inner strength. If she tries to repeat herself, making that style of confessional reverie into a formula, it won't work. But did it ever work this time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  25. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

im not a huge taylor swift fan either. Just saying she absolutely nailed that performance.

from a music business position, shes been her own ambassador from day one. And the release of this track, the timing of the SNL appearance, and nailing it was a “hook, line, and sinker” from one of the greatest commercial artists in decades

Panama Hotel likes this.