Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2021-2022 47th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Sep 9, 2021.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I thought the skit was a great dig at Instagram culture where people mindlessly "like" something/someone all the while just responding sexually. Keenan is definitely taking over the mantle of insane sadistic game host from Bill Hader. I took something different from the Meet Your Second Wife skit.

3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Exactly. Funniest skit I've seen on SNL in a long time, but a couple here didn't like it at all. Really shows how humor is perceived so differently by all of us, just like music. Comedy has to be a very tough genre to write to.

4. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

This sketch has gone to cringe for me now, never used that word before, but it fits.

In my years in the infidelity support community, sure I have plenty of sympathy for betrayed women. Here it's just one sided. Look, in my circumstances I will never remarry. I'm not someone who says that lightly, but I'd probably have to be offered a six figure bonus to do it, and I don't think I command that kind of attention. So the fact that the first wives are here, and they're not the protagonists, just victims and subject to Tina and Amy, again more cringe. I can't really relate to being a married person anymore. This is someone else's issue, someone with a different life. Mostly the way it plays out I'm afraid Tina and Amy would turn on me. Why'd You Like It doesn't have the gender issue.

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Last week - Jake Gyllenhaal: A very talented, game, worthy host & performances, but even he couldn't help elevate this poor episode. :sigh:
    Camilla Cabello - As far as musical guests go, I think she's a solid SNL choice, based on what I'm surmising is current popular opinion of people younger than I. I like her okay as far as that goes: preferred first song over 2nd.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  7. Frank Discussion

Frank Discussion Forum Resident

Just a thought...................
    Only show new SNL episodes every two weeks. Maybe that would give the writers the time to write higher quality sketches. Maybe extend the season or make each show 2 hours long.

8. The premiere of the Lizzo Show was unexpectedly entertaining. (Perhaps my surprised reaction gives away my low level of awareness of c.2022 pop-culture consciousness. If you knew already, give yourself a heart emoji.) Everything worked for me except for the "Six Flags" sketch, which would probably not be all that funny even if I had been in possession of the other half of the joke that the writers apparently expected me to complete. I had no problem getting the rest of the material. The "green-room-10-minutes-to-deadline" sketch was 30 Rock-level of funny. I enjoyed the musical numbers, too.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  9. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Killer episode
    Kind of stunned , actually

10. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I laughed out loud at the TikTok sketch and the twerking orchestra bit.

Strangely, I thought Weekend Update was kind of lame.

Lizzo did a good job in the sketches, but couldn't keep herself from breaking. She Harvey Korman-ed herself through the show. Clearly music should be her main focus, but it was good fun, nevertheless.

11. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

Was a great episode but the more I see of him the less I'm impressed with Bowen Yang. I'm sure he's a nice guy but the flamboyant character he portrays makes a lot of his shtick feel samey. I don't mind flamboyancy but it gets old fast when it gets used so much by the same cast member. It's just not funny.

vinnie, Deano6, ex_mixer and 4 others like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

13. MikaelaArsenault

14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. LilacTeardrop

I wasn't as suprised as others seem to be by Lizzo. When she was announced, I thought she'd do a good job & she was great! :righton: She was getting big industry/ media push several years ago & I think I must have caught her on a talk show or 2, which I enjoyed & so I thought she'd bring vivaciousness...as she did. Her musical numbers were terrific!. I especially enjoyed the first one, which leaned into disco/dance, reminding me of Deneice Williams' I've Got The Last Dance & w/the 2nd doing a really nice job combining rap w/R&B. - Some other current bands which incorporate some disco into their R&B, soul & funk are:: Durand Jones & The Indications & those which blend further sounds, too: Khruangbin & a French band, L'Impératrice - I don't think disco was ever as out of favor in the UK & Europe as it went in the States.
    In that orchestra sketch, if memory serves, I was aware Lizzo plays the flute, but had forgotten - She's a force!! Quick, funny, smart, talented & brings a positive energy!

[​IMG]

Drawbacks: Six Flags sketch poor. I don't think I would've found it very funny even if I had remembered the commercials - had to look it up - that's over 10 years ago. I guess it's fresher if one was aged 10 or so when they'd aired. As others' noted on last week's episode w/inserting characters into Weekend Update: again this week & agree, too many, too much & the humor overall for a W/E update segment wasn't as intelligently quick-witted as usual.

18. LilacTeardrop

Got timed out before I could edit/correct: It's: I've Got The Next Dance. :oops: Listening again, Lizzo's tune actually has more of a Chic-vibe, combined a little w/a bit of Rapper's Delight & maybe a slowed down I've Got The Next Dance, brought into the 21st Century stamping w/her own mark! :thumbsup:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

lizzo brought some personality to the sketches but the writing seemed bad and i agree about the 6 flags things. i had no idea what they were even talking about

20. MikaelaArsenault

21. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

This sketch LITERALLY was a PRIME example of the Millennials/Gen Z vs Anyone Over 40 conflict, although I'm sure the writers did not intend that. Basically, this is the grown-up world, and there are certain rules and behaviors that everyone must follow. "Nope. Not me. Y'all need to change YOUR rules & behaviors to allow me to SHINE!"

The requisite game show sketch also touched on this as well.

Shawn and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

A Six Flags old dancing guy and Black Eyed Peas sketch in the same show?

Man, SNL sure has has their pulse on the pop culture zeitgeist lol.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

How do I know I've gotten old? Because SNL's outdated pop culture references are still too recent for me to get.

24. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Why? Lizzo is quite talented and very entertaining.

25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Humor is ageless. It's either funny or it's not. I wonder how many kids who grew up watching Aladdin's parrot character voiced by Gilbert Gottfried on constant repeat on VHS or disc and later never knew or even found his stand up comedy funny when they became adults.

After last night's SNL episode's desperate reach for humor in cultural references, I asked myself if there were any other sketch comedy shows that compete against SNL.

I couldn't think of one. I always watch SNL just out of tradition and respect for the creative energy that's lasted for decades but sometimes I just wish there were other options.